Author Topic: Hunter S  (Read 1241 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Hunter S
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2005, 08:38:06 AM »
cuelro... I believe that I did understand you.   I am not sure that you understand addiction or drugs tho.  I noticed that you smoke.  you can quit anytime you like tho right?  how bout heroin or crack?  could you quit those if you were on them for say.... 5 years?  

Even as an addict it could be said that I quit "whenever I wanted to"  I quit for good only after I decided that I really "wanted to".  what degree you are hooked is also the the degree of how hard it will be to quit but..

No one is imune from addiction.   some are more resistent and others are able to switch addictions seamlessly.  Many former drug addicts (like hunter) become semi funtional drunks.   I did heroin on a daily basis for several months one time but quit relatively easily when "I wanted to"..  I didn't quit drugs and I didn't quit the destructive lifestyle.... but I quit the heroin... I also quit pot cause I didn't really like it.  

Like you and hunter... I did self destructive things like riding for great distances on acid or booze or all ten.   My body was being killed but my youth and genetics let me shake it off.  

There really is no difference in the self destructive behavior of an addict or the self destructive behavior of someone not yet addicted but doing drugs in an addictive way (as you were).  

Now... I do not claim that soimething of a life experiance is gained from all this but... I do claim that a lot of life experiance is also lost.   Hunter never got out of it... he switched drugs of choice till the day he died and he never matured past a certain point... he lived the same experiances over and over while shutting out any new ones.   That is addiction in my opinion.  

When I tell people of my experiances I dwell on the spectacular as we all do.   It is a form of lie if I don't also give the downside to drug addiction or useing addictively.

and...useing addictively allways leads to addiction... just that it takes longer for some folks than others.

lazs

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2005, 09:46:11 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
snip
I noticed that you smoke.  you can quit anytime you like tho right?  how bout heroin or crack?  could you quit those if you were on them for say.... 5 years?

The first question's hard to answer, in that I may already have. Just like my current drinking habits, its something I do pretty much only in social situations (and then only in extreme moderation). I've lost all desire to be stoned or drunk, and don't even care about the taste etc enough to do acquire it and do it on my own. If it never came up again, I'd never notice. So, at this point, circumstances control the answer.

As to smack and crack, its also hard to say. I've tried both, didn't like either enough to ever spend any money buying them, so I automatically was never in a position to be addicted. OTOH, I smoked cigarrettes for seven years, and drank like a fish for longer. Both of those are known to be addictive, and difficult for many to "kick".

I had no trouble with quitting tobacco - woke up one morning, decided to quit, threw the half a pack I had away, never smoked again, no sweat. The drinking just went away on its own, I simply lost the desire to do it and didn't without noticing until it had been months since I'd had a drink.  

snip
No one is imune from addiction.   some are more resistent and others are able to switch addictions seamlessly.  
snip
When I tell people of my experiances I dwell on the spectacular as we all do.   It is a form of lie if I don't also give the downside to drug addiction or useing addictively.

Agreed, pretty much what I tried to illustrate in my last post.

and...useing addictively allways leads to addiction... just that it takes longer for some folks than others.

lazs

Disagree, I think this is a tad strong. My own experiences and that of many others I've seen tells me some folks abuse for whatever reason until they tire of it, then walk away without difficulty. I'll give you that stuff like smack and coke tends to be much more addictive than other stuff, but I've known people that abused those regularly and simply quit, too.

There simply aren't hard and fast rules to any of this, the variations are as numerous as personalities.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Hunter S
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2005, 09:29:07 AM »
but... if a person just keeps switching from one drug to another.... when does he really stop being an addict?  If he lives a life of drug abuse but seamelessly switches to booze and...

he makes bad mistakes while on booze... life altering mistakes... even tho he only does it a half dozen times a year or so... is he free of addiction?   If a person is experianced with drugs and their effects... if a person knows that getting drunk may ruin his life because of how he will act...   and he still get't drunk from some trigger event or another...

Is he free from addiction?

I quit lots of drugs with no problem.   Quiting em all was the trick.  If drugs have caused you problems in the past.. (not the drugs but the effects of drugs) and you quit them but then still allow/can't help yourself to get drunk (effect of drugs done addictively) then... are you addiction free?   Is your "will" enough?

For me these are the questions I had to ask myself.  I can't speak for you.

Is it smart for someone who has kicked ciggs to once or 10 times a year smoke for a day?

lazs

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2005, 10:16:55 AM »
You guys are not talking drug addiction; but lifestyle addiction.

Said another way; it's the ghetto phenomenon.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »
Hunter S. Thompson. Old hippies never die, they just.....    oh, wait. Yes they do.:rolleyes:

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »
Originally posted by Seeker
You guys are not talking drug addiction; but lifestyle addiction.

Said another way; it's the ghetto phenomenon.

Both drug addiction and lifestyle addiction reach well beyond the ghetto.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2005, 07:15:09 AM »
snip
I quit lots of drugs with no problem.   Quiting em all was the trick.  If drugs have caused you problems in the past.. (not the drugs but the effects of drugs) and you quit them but then still allow/can't help yourself to get drunk (effect of drugs done addictively) then... are you addiction free?   Is your "will" enough?

For me these are the questions I had to ask myself.  I can't speak for you.

Is it smart for someone who has kicked ciggs to once or 10 times a year smoke for a day?

lazs

Well, it depends on the person, IMO. What's true for some may not be true for others. For example, giving up cigarettes was really easy for me. I *could* smoke intermittently if I wished, without risk of backsliding into constant smoking. Others might not be able to say the same. Same for drinking - although I used to really *seriously* abuse alcohol, now I enjoy a drink or two infrequently and never have the urge to abuse, but I have close friends who have to avoid it at all costs.

Its that YMMV thing, as with many things in life.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2005, 07:37:45 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Both drug addiction and lifestyle addiction reach well beyond the ghetto.

Absolutely; but what I was referring to was cultural norms/peer pressure.

For example; in my "Amsterdam years" I took a lot of ecstasy. Every now and again  I'd get on a health trip and drop it; but sooner or later I'd meet up with the guys and we'd be off our heads again.

Later, I moved to Copenhagen. Different social circle; different vices.

Abuse is usually a socialy reinforced action; like so many of our habits and if people really want to change their lives; changing the peer group is probably one of the best places to start.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2005, 08:14:14 AM »
snip
Abuse is usually a socialy reinforced action; like so many of our habits and if people really want to change their lives; changing the peer group is probably one of the best places to start.

Very true, in most cases.

culero

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2005, 08:22:06 AM »

True enough . Sometimes that is the most difficult part and for some it is next to impossible.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Hunter S
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2005, 08:30:58 AM »
I would agree that drug addiction can be socialy induced or reenforced or even that social situations can trigger old addictions.

My point is that no one capable of not becoming an addict if they work at it.  

I think a lot of people who thought they were immune (I include myself) ended up as some of the most addicted.  It has nothing to do with will or brains..

bet even superman could become an addict... some people have a higher/lower resistance is all.   Hunter seemed to be a rather "normal" case of an addict.  He switched around and lied to himself plenty and played the blame game.

lazs

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Hunter S
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2005, 09:01:34 AM »
Never mind.
See the thread: Regrets of Drugs Use and Booze Poll:

eskimo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 09:06:09 AM by eskimo2 »