Author Topic: Low Frame Rates  (Read 1699 times)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 02:26:27 PM »
Yup.. I have an Abit IS7 board..  I was using the onboard sound in the beginning and had similar problems. I disabled it and got a good soundcard.. I think my fps doubled in most games..

Offline BBinder

• Zinc Member
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 04:43:10 PM »
Originally posted by richard_rd
Thanks Schutt,

Maybe the onboard sound is causing the pblm, my mobo is an Abit AV8 (skt 939 Via chipset with onboard AC97 sound).

Can anyone make a recomendation on what PCI sound card i can buy that will work with the Via chipset on this mobo.  I am only using 2 stereo speakers now, but i may purchase surround sound head phones in the near future so 5.1 support would be nice also.

any PCI sound card will work on any motherboard just remember to disable the onboard sound in the bios

a good Brand to get is Creative maybe an Audigy there usaully cheaper if u can find a online store selling them as OEM

Offline redviper

• Zinc Member
I have the same problem
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »
:mad: :confused: I have a amd 64 (3000) at 2ghz, 1 gig of corsair value ram, and a nvidia geforce MX 4000 video card.  I am happy with the frame rate, but every couple of minutes, there is about a 5 second lag session that is very anoying.  I don't think that it is my internet (wireless broadband) becase it never does this on Condition Zero.  Do u guys think that a PCI sound card would fix this problem?

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Re: I have the same problem
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 09:26:30 PM »
Originally posted by redviper
:mad: :confused: "nvidia geforce MX 4000 video card.  I am happy with the frame rate, but every couple of minutes, there is about a 5 second lag session that is very anoying".  

what are your ingame settings?   If i was going to guess ,i would say that its your video card swapping out textures. is that a 64 MB card or 128?        GL 38

Offline redviper

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 02:11:58 AM »
It is a 128mb.  I think that i get pretty decent fps with it.  Before the new update i was sometimes able to hit 85fps if nothing was going on much.

Offline redviper

• Zinc Member
add on
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 02:14:30 AM »
i don't know if this makes much of a difference, but it hasn't started doing this till about a week or so ago......... I think.
Thanks for taking the time to try and help me

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01:30 PM »
Red , things to look at are spyware. If it is a consistant lag or studder ,5 seconds is alot , its got to be somthing in the back ground, or the V card swapping something.   with the pc running , but no internet apps on , look at the networking monitor . It shouldnt have any or much usage. u can do this by control alt delete in Winxp . if you see alot of network usage , that could be spyware/ Malware hitting your connection and causing the symptoms u describe. It also could be somthing hitting the cpu as well , from the same taskmanger look at the cpu usage and see you have a high utilization when no programs are running . With a gig of ram i would find it hard to believe that you are running out , but windows writing to the page file would also produce the sympthoms u describe ... its a long shot , but something to look at. GL   38

Offline redviper

• Zinc Member
its not spyware
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »
thanks for the suggestion, but its definitly now spyware.  I run spybot, ad-aware and spy sweeper every couple of days.  I also have norton anti virus to.  I emailed hitech and they said that the problem sounded heat realated and they think that my gpu fan could be out.  I checked it and found out that it was working properly but dusty.  So i blew the dust out with compressed air and i just put it back in.  I'm just now going to start up AH and see if it works.  (crossing fingers)
I'll let u know if it works or not:rolleyes:

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2005, 01:50:55 PM »
My system:
Amd64 3500 socket 939
2 GB ram
GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB
Soundblaster Audigry (something)
Systemdisk raptor 36,4 GB (10000 RPM)
Gamedisk raptor 74,5 GB (10000 RPM)

I play AH in 1280x1024 with AA x4 and AFx4, in AH all adjustments are maxed out.
Everything are loaded in vid mem, and sytem mem.

When in "normal" flight (5K and above) I have 20-50FPS, low over forests I get 10fps + - , Takeoff from field under attack 5-10 fps.

I feel this is a tad low FPS for my system, or is this the FPS i should excpect  in AH with everything on max ?

((Just has ordered a Dell 24" widescreen, wonder what FPS I will get in 192x1200)):confused:

PS! On my motherboard I have 2xGB lan and one 54mbps wireless network card, I use all these.If I disable these 3, and install a PCI network card, will this help my FPS ?
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline capera

• Copper Member
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 09:53:58 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Image settings should be at High Performance, and Vsync should be on.  

Why does everybody in the game recommend Vsync to be turned OFF?

Offline redviper

• Zinc Member
thats not right
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2005, 11:34:46 AM »
damn lasse i can't believe that u get that low of a frame rate with that good of a system.  You comp must have cost u at least 2k!  I get better frame rates than that and i have

amd 64 3000+
1gig of ram
mx4000 card
on board audio
80gig 7,200 rpm sata hard drive

Try turning your settings to default and see what happens.  If that doesn't help than there must be somthing wrong there.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 10:55:59 PM »
Lasse and Capera,

Ansiotropic filtering is useless in AHII. That comes from Skuzzy. It causes nothing but problems, particularly in the text box and icon fonts. If you like it for other games, just change it to "Application Aware."

There have been reports of rubber bullets if you shoot without V-Sync on.

From all the posts I've seen, including several from Skuzzy, it is highly reccommended you have V-Sync ON.

Lasse I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200, but not as uber as yours. You should be getting much netter frame rates than that.

Since the new "trees" patch I've had the same problem when low near the ground, especially near mountains covered with trees. My frames dropped to 7, unplayable.

I tried a lot of changes, the only thing that helped was moving my sliders away from max detail to the right a little bit. Lasse try moving all three of your sliders to the right maybe 10% of the distance, it will make a dramatic change to your frame rate I'd bet.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 12:38:34 AM »
Originally posted by capera
Why does everybody in the game recommend Vsync to be turned OFF?

Because it shows higher frame rates with vsync off.  It makes them think they are getting good frame rates, but its not.  Vsync synchronizes your video card's frame rates to your monitor's refresh rate.  Thats the max number of frames per second you can see anyway.  Visible frame rates are limited to your refresh rate value no matter what you do, so by turning vsync "off", you allow the video card to "run ahead" of what the computer is showing.  This can lead to false images on your screen, warping, tearing and artifacts, and lost frames.  Some people will argue that this isnt the case with modern systems, but why take the risk?  If you cant SEE the frames, why fool yourself into thinking you can?  Let the guys online do whatever they like, most of them end up posting here with problems and then whine "it cant be my system".  Bah.  If you need corroboration, do a search of the BBS with Vsync as your keyword, and Skuzzy as the poster.  You'll find several threads he posted in on the subject.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 12:50:04 AM »
Originally posted by lasse
My system:
Amd64 3500 socket 939
2 GB ram
GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB
Soundblaster Audigry (something)
Systemdisk raptor 36,4 GB (10000 RPM)
Gamedisk raptor 74,5 GB (10000 RPM)

I play AH in 1280x1024 with AA x4 and AFx4, in AH all adjustments are maxed out.
Everything are loaded in vid mem, and sytem mem.

When in "normal" flight (5K and above) I have 20-50FPS, low over forests I get 10fps + - , Takeoff from field under attack 5-10 fps.

I feel this is a tad low FPS for my system, or is this the FPS i should excpect  in AH with everything on max ?

((Just has ordered a Dell 24" widescreen, wonder what FPS I will get in 192x1200)):confused:

PS! On my motherboard I have 2xGB lan and one 54mbps wireless network card, I use all these.If I disable these 3, and install a PCI network card, will this help my FPS ?

Skuzzy has stated before, they dont make a system that can max out AH and run good.  You have all your settings maxxed ingame, and you are running 4x AA and 4x AF (both of which use memory) and I'm betting you are using the 1024 max texture sizes?  Try turning off the AF (or set to Application preference), and see if that helps it.  Is the 6800 a PCI express card, or AGP?  Is your power supply adequate for this card?  The one's I've looked at have a pretty strict low limit of 480Watts for a PS with this card.  If you have any doubts about the quality of your PS, check the voltage under a load and see if it drops.  If it does, your card isnt getting enough juice.

Just some thoughts.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Low Frame Rates
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 08:15:58 AM »
My system:

AMD 64 3200+
1.0 gig ram
ATI XT800XL 256 meg card
80 gig SATA 7200 rpm (system disk)
120 gig SATA 7200 rpm (Game disk)
SB audigy 2z
only 22 process's running
Game settings is 6x antialias, AF is off, vsync is on, graphic detail is half way, object size is turned up all the way along with 3 mile.

I get nothing lower then 25 fps but get as high as 100fps.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/