Author Topic: Poll: ME-163 as a Buff Perk?  (Read 1505 times)

eskimo

Poll: ME-163 as a Buff Perk?
« on: January 16, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »
I was thinking;
The ME-163 would be a great perk plane if it could only be earned with bomber perk points.  It seems that we are seeing less and less buffs in AH (I know I have all but stopped flying them).  Giving ME-163s only to those who have paid their dues in bombers might actually encourage bomber sorties.

What do you guys think?  Would you buff more if you could spend you buff perk points on a rocket-powered buff-interceptor?

eskimo

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2001, 01:53:00 PM »
I have noticed a decline in buff runs from the beginning of 1.05. It's gotten a little better lately but still doesn't feel up to what it was in 1.04. I don't think we should be able to spend bomber points on a fighter plane myself. I would think it could be added to the game as a very expensive perk. The only reason I would like to see it made expensive is because it was rare. It really wasn't very effective from what I've read. There were about 300 of them made and only about 9 confirmed kills with it. I do think it would be an excellent thing to see on here. It would be really cool to see it come up to intercept you bomber group on an HQ run. I think the bombing missions might increase as people see the B-29's start to show up. People will want to keep up with the Jones's.  

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
I've only seen B26's flying around, along with TBM's coming off the infamous CV on land. Caught one guy talking about flying his Lanc some where, but I haven't seen one. Caught Marleen in a B-17 I think the other day, but I couldn't see it well enough for an ident.

I'm all for this. I've got some vehicle points, but pretty much squat for buff points. This at least would encourage people to get a bomber up to blast the field and not the fleet. Then when they're in a bind, they can get that Komet to whack some bombers. Sounds perfectly fair to me, and it'd keep those pesky fighter pukes from using it as a mass-defense fighter.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline NHFoxtro

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2001, 02:27:00 PM »
We still fly buff missions every night. I even intercepted a 5 Lanc formation heading to our HQ last night. They are just much higher than they were in 1.05 because of the flak fire from the CV's.

------------------
NHFoxtro
-XO-NightHawks

NightHawks "WE BAD"

[This message has been edited by NHFoxtro (edited 01-16-2001).]

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Hmm, made several runs on the enemy CV at 10k in B-26, JU88 and B-17, don't think I took damage on any of those 6+ sorties.. bombers are still very effective indeed.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Thru the idea to HT at the con about having ME163's based at a small tiny airfield (dirt RW) near the HQ only.  Then one could purchase for a small cost, a ME163, of course the a/c would have limited distance capability so that it wasn't abused...he liked the idea, still waiting to see if they implement it.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2001, 07:54:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by fd ski (edited 01-17-2001).]

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
Thru the idea to HT at the con about having ME163's based at a small tiny airfield (dirt RW) near the HQ only.  Then one could purchase for a small cost, a ME163, of course the a/c would have limited distance capability so that it wasn't abused...he liked the idea, still waiting to see if they implement it.

That's a good idea Rip. I didn't think of that. Make it cheep but only available at one field. I was thinking expensive and available every where. I like yours better. I wasn't a real effective plane as I said above. So having it available at the HQ only would limit it's use and it wouldn't be an unbalancing threat even in larger numbers at the HQ. It's mode op operation didn't lend itself well to attacking anything. It was more of a shock weapon than anything else. I would love to see it screaming up to meet the bomber formations. Throw in a perk 262 or two and it would look like the closing months of WWII in Germany over the HQ. Cool.  

[This message has been edited by Jimdandy (edited 01-17-2001).]

funked

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
I think an Me 163 base near the HQ would be a blast.  Make it a VERY high value perk.  Flying bombers is already tough enough with the AWACS system and the SDI Star Wars air defense system...

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 01-17-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Or, make it a one shot deal per 24 hours, and  make it a " 1 or 2 .50 cal hits and BOOM, pop goes the (ME163) weazel"...therefore forcing swarm tactics.

Jay_76

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2001, 10:35:00 AM »
re- Pop goes the Me-163:

Considering their history of volatile (and unexpected) explosion, I can't see it being too hard to flame one... that's assuming, of course, that you can hit it.

I'd also like to see its vertically launched armament, should this become a perk.  Be such a shame to waste the nicely created shadows on the planes...

Jay.

Offline niklas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
as long as the code doesn´t simulate the dramatic increase in drag at Mach 0.9-1.0, it doesn´t make sense to include the me163.

The topspeed of the me163 was limited by the influence of high mach numbers. If you would add a me163 with historical trust and topspeed, you would have to model a VERY high unhistorical drag (Cd0) for the comet. This will destroy the FM for normal flight situations.

Look:

You can see that for 900km/h (560mph) the comet needs ~500kg trust. The comet had a 1600kg engine!!! But the increase in drag is so huge near mach 1.0 that the other 1100kg will make him only 100kmh faster.

niklas

[This message has been edited by niklas (edited 01-17-2001).]

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
I think that adding it to the game would have little effect other than the "Ooo Ahhh" value and that's ok with me. As I said before the planes weren't every effective. They only got nine confirmed kills out of a total of 300 made. They were just to fast. It was very hard to target with them. Even if they climbed burning up all of the fuel and glided to the bomber they were lucky to make more then a couple of passes. Then they were very vulnerable on descent because they could only glide. They were, in may opinion, a waste of valuable resources. They would just be cool to have available. They wouldn't be for much other than show. It would be there for the guy that was just dying to try it out. As far as that goes if I were to spend my perks on anything similar it would be the 262. It was FAR more effective. Even if they were cheep people would soon find out how hard it is to target a 200mph bomber in a 600mph plane. The Me262 was hard enough to target with. I had an old flight sim that had both of these planes on it. It didn't simulate spin or anything and it was very hard to hit a bomber at those speeds.

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
I would not fly bombers more for the prospect of rocketing the 163.

I would not fly or drive or sail anything to be able to rocket in the 163.

I would however, not mind at all if they were available near HQ for defense if they were not available in the thousands.

Perhaps 2 are available per attack with no respawn and that is a very high number based on actual use of the 163.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?