Author Topic: Flight controllers/Joysticks  (Read 2371 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Flight controllers/Joysticks
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 08:57:48 AM »
For a decent headset/Mic you dont have to go big bucks

for $20 at Best Buy This suits VERY nicely Altec Lansing Headset Mic Combo

Lightweight, Sounds GREAT and Mic works well as long as you dont take them off your head and throw them against the wall too often (which is what I do instead of Cussing up a storm on Vox)

Also has inline volume control and mic switch.

Very nice set for the price
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 09:26:41 AM »
I'd recomend the X45.  But I can't stand twisty sticks.  The only problem with my X45 is that the hat is finally wearing out about 6 months out of my 1 year coverage plan.

Also, I have a nice set of headphones that DO NOT have a Mike on them.  I have a cheapy 5 dollar set that do have a Mike.  I use the mike from the cheapy set, but wear the nice set.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 10:42:19 AM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
When I had my X45 it was sticky also. The best thing I found to use was graphit. You can get it in a tube, it's like a fine power. Only problem is it can get all lover the stick bottom. It seemed to work the longest and didn't gunk up like other librucants.

I am currently trying Accrolube which is a teflon based grease. I applied a thin film with a Q-tip. It has helped so far. So far it has lasted a lot longer than the silicon I was using.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2005, 08:20:05 PM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
I am currently trying Accrolube which is a teflon based grease. I applied a thin film with a Q-tip. It has helped so far. So far it has lasted a lot longer than the silicon I was using.

Sounds alot like something I picked up at a plae I used to work at ony it was called "Teflon Lube"

Use it on my fishing reels. Works great and is water proof
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 11:58:50 AM »
I use the CH USB Fighter stick and pro-throttle combo; I do not use the pedals. I have been usinmg CH stuff for years now, and like them.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 02:26:34 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
When I had my X45 it was sticky also. The best thing I found to use was graphit. You can get it in a tube, it's like a fine power. Only problem is it can get all lover the stick bottom. It seemed to work the longest and didn't gunk up like other librucants.

This is, IMO the weakest piece of an otherwise fine piece of gear. They tout this center mechanism in thier marketing yet I think it just plain sucks. It sticks, there is a distingtive drop at the center position and it's nearly impossible (at least it was for me) to perform fine movement anywhere near the center position. The "cup" ring that the "saucer" sits in actually sheared off on mine.

I also tried the graphite - what a mess!  Then I read a suggestion to try "plumbers grease".  I went to Home Depot and got a small container, put it on with a q-tip about 10 months ago, and have not had to re-apply since then, still working fine.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2005, 03:32:13 PM »
Originally posted by Don
I use the CH USB Fighter stick and pro-throttle combo; I do not use the pedals. I have been usinmg CH stuff for years now, and like them.

In my opinion being without a rudder is a big handicap in the game.  I'd recommend pedals, a twisty stick, or some type of control that is easy to access and can be used as a rudder.  I understand on many Saitek sticks there is a lever people use for the same purpose.

Offline Telstar

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2005, 07:05:36 PM »
Soda,  The CH pro throttle has a mini joystick that can be assigned for rudder control. I use it this way myself.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2005, 02:40:55 AM »
I use the "girly" X-52:D   Its not that bad really but I should of put the $150 towards CH gear since I already have the Pro Pedals new and still in the box. (the X-52 was an impulse buy, I really have to quit that stuff:rolleyes: )

Anyways, what ever you wind up getting, stay away from the Thrustmaster Cougar. Its an unreliable, frustrating, moody POS and not worth the hassle or the money. (another impulse buy:mad: )

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2005, 06:30:34 AM »
I have a thrustmaster afterburner 2 joystick and it is no longer stable along the x axis after 1 year of ah use.

Ill try to fix the poti, but not sure if it will work out.

Is there any optical stuff left? I thought optical sensors would be way better, why are they not used in the top line joysticks?

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2005, 04:03:04 PM »
Originally posted by Schutt
I have a thrustmaster afterburner 2 joystick and it is no longer stable along the x axis after 1 year of ah use.

Ill try to fix the poti, but not sure if it will work out.

Is there any optical stuff left? I thought optical sensors would be way better, why are they not used in the top line joysticks?

New pots should fix your problem. You can fork out the money for Hall sensor pots (top of the line optical). Look them up on Google and you should be able to find a supplier. Warning they are pricy. This is what all the Cougar drivers are putting in their sticks. If you don't want to spend that much money you can go to CH's replacement parts site and buy pots. These are the same post that they put in their sticks and they are good pots.

That's not a bad little setup and new pots should make it work quite well.  If it were me I'd do that before I'd go out and buy a Saitek,.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2005, 02:09:51 PM »
I use the Saitek X45 atm. As soon as I can afford CH gear this junk from Saitek is going in the trash. Worst things about the X45: trigger and hat switches wear out to quickly, the joystick begins to *stick* after a couple hours of use and requires you to lube them regularly. They also have a tendency to spike.

That said, if you buy one, buy it from Best Buy and purchase the 2 year replacement warranty for 10 bucks. Every time the stick goes bad take it back to Best Buy for a replacement and purchase the 2 year replacement warranty again.

The X45 is NOT worth the $80 you initially pay for it but it is the best $10 stick on the market ;)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2005, 07:33:25 PM »
winder2 pro is a great stick but the optics get monkeyed up after a year or so.
CH will last forever, especially if using Trackir with it instead of the hats.

Offline 345

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2005, 11:34:09 PM »
I can also recomend the CH joysticks. I just got the Quadrant Throttle myself and after some playing around in the setup I love having seperate engine manifold levers and a combined RPM lever. This left me with 3 levers to use for trim and I find it is a lot more intuitive with a actual lever vice pressing a button.

One thing I do think you can get better then CH is the pedels. I recomend the SIMPED Vario-pro if you are going full out on a HOTAS setup. Much wider stance then the CH and a more comfortable movement. You have to order from Germany though but it only takes 2-3 weeks to receave them.

Offline LivetoDie

• Zinc Member
Stiff stick?
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 04:52:14 AM »
I have the X45 and one way to help "soften" the feel of the stick, without lube, is to put a small panduit around 2 or 3 rings of the spring to help compress it. It was too stiff for my liking when new and now it is buttery soft and easy to use without the jerky effect.
Try it you'll like it! If not, it's easy to remove...