Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 3720 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
What are your other hobbies?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2000, 02:34:00 PM »
The simple pleasures are the ones who make life good, IMHO. The big ones come so rarely that setting onself up so one only enjoys them and not smaller ones will make one miserable.

I like to keep life simple. It IS simple, only it seems most either overtrivialize it (i.e spend all their days watching tv and wining) or make it overly complex and do exactly the same thing.

Now, if I *ever* get this %/&¤&/ program written, compiled and run without errors, *I* will be happy for it  .

Where's my beer?  

Poor rip and swag, married tsk tsk tsk. I'll spend all my money on ME thankyouverymuch  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
Poor rip and swag, married tsk tsk tsk. I'll spend all my money on ME thankyouverymuch    

My wife makes 20% more in wages (with a 35 hour work week) than I, and I'm doing quite well!

Advice: Marry your best friend~! I did!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2000, 12:17:00 PM »
Nice thread 78con!  

Gunthr, you do realize someday I am going to come visit.  

Other hobbies... umm where to start. Martial Arts and Fencing for many years. Rockclimbing ,backpacking, and hunting are near the top of my list. Not much of any of the above lately. Been too busy making babies and then chasing after the little buggers.  
------------------------
daddog
332nd Flying Mongrels
Snapshots

You Know You're In Trouble When ...
Your accountants letter of resignation is postmarked
Zurich.

[This message has been edited by daddog (edited 05-23-2000).]
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
Yes Dad, the little crumb snatchers have a way of pointing ya in one direction don't they?  

And, stop by anytime...

http://www.ropescourse.org/flying.htm"" TARGET=_blank>332nd Flying Mongrels
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
R/C Planes

Free-Flight model planes

Plastic model planes

Full Scale Student Pilot

Paintball (Spyder TL)

Drawing

CAD - Technical Drafting

Camping under the wing of a plane me and my Dad flew into a remote airfield.

Aircraft Restoration at my local branch of the Yankee AirForce, and helping my Dad overhaul and re-cover his plane (Piper Pacer) when he still had it.

Computers (built the one I'm typing this on)

Student Council (if you consider that a hobby)

I want to get into photography sooner or later, maybe take some great warbird pictures  

I enjoy reading about anything WWII, when I get a magazine such as Flight Journal, I usually read it cover-to-cover in a night.

Time to get back to the CAD thing I mentioned  earlier, drafting my first self-designed R/C plane.  Speed 400 anyone?  

------------------
Mark VanZwoll
33rd Strike Group

[This message has been edited by MarkVZ (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Double Post

[This message has been edited by MarkVZ (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2000, 07:41:00 PM »
Hobbies?  Oh yeah tons of em...

First I got....ummm

I even....ahhh

Once I even...crap.  Cant think of any  

-Ding

Actually I enjoy golfing, skiing, hanging out with the wife and friends on the weekends listening to a good band, eating and cooking good food, drinking and brewing good beer and other such exquisite bacchanal delights!

I am the party master  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2000, 12:18:00 AM »
Ripsnort wrote

My wife makes 20% more in wages (with a 35 hour work week) than I, and I'm doing quite well!

Advice: Marry your best friend~! I did!

Rip, I asked my 13 year old lab if he wanted to marry me, but he says he's not ready for a commitment just yet.

Hm, she makes more than you? Good move on your part. Now, who controls the cash? "oh, we have a mutual economy" is PC term for "the wife is in control, I am only a repressed Man that is under the controls of a much smarter Woman".  

This marriage thing sure is funny. I haven't figured it out yet, but I am still relatively young. Why bother? Sure, the legal technicalities might be worth it, especially if she earns more (I WANT HALF!"). But other than that, and consider this an honest question; why bother? Commitment? It would be a legitimate answer I gather, but to me it somehow isn't that, really. Commitment can be had without a piece of paper and divorces happen all the time. Social indoctrination? Probably to some degree. Natural instinctual thing? Hm, monogamy would be so for females and to a slightly lesser extent also for males, but does that suggest that one must marry?
<cynical mode>

Or is it simply a mutual agreement to put a leash around each other's necks?
</cynical mode off>

SOMEONE explain this to me; my comrades just dribble on about ethereal nonsensical things I cannot begin to understand, mostly because all they say is something like "oh, but you gotta do it...it's special" "it's a special relationship" blah blah blah.

The RELATIONSHIP might be special, but why does %/¤&#¤ marriage change that?

Oops, looks like it shows I've grown to love life as a single male  

Any takers? Rip, what made YOU marry your wife?

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2000, 01:07:00 AM »
Several hobbies here:

Flying (pilot for 26 years)
Homebrew Beer
Ham Radio (kb0ofo)
Love to BBQ  
Trout fishing
Riding the Harley
and trying to keep this darn computer running

332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2000, 02:10:00 AM »
OHH MY GOD, where do I start.

First off Boats are for SAILING, yeah with those big cloth things. Best non polluting relaxing, challenge, & hobby I've ever found.

Next, diveing, well snorkling is cool, but can't afford the gear for the deep stuff. If it's not in the top 30 feet, who cares.  

(OK OK it's cool & maybe someday)  

StSanta, judgeing by your attitude you'll never have to worry about marriage.

Yes the commitment makes a difference, a HUGE one. One that can only be experienced, not discribed, discussed, or analized. Ask that black lab again, it's been committed to you for 14 years.

On the other hand there is no need to rush into it either. I think too many people think they need to get married & settled down too soon in life. If it happens that way, well fine. But if it doesn't, shrug, forget it.

I waited till I was 44 before finding that special someone. We've lived more in some ways in 4 years than most couples do in 20.
It's worth doing right if it's worth doing at all. And yes for 98% of most females doing it right means a ring on the finger.

As for me, well sailing, training dogs (although I'm dogless right now, looking at getting one soon.  Considering building a sailboat, but can't afford strip planked. Will have to make do with stitch & glue.

Computers, games, fishing, hunting, boating (all sorts). I agree that all jetski's should be banned. Would love to learn rock climbing, diveing, flying, glideing, sky diveing. Just havn't found the time & the money at the same place yet.

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2000, 06:40:00 AM »
I was 35 when I got married.  I believe I was mature enough to handle it!  My wife is my best friend and I could not imagine life without her!

Oh!  She has the basic control of the cash! She is much better with money!    

Not to worry, she gave me the OK to buy a new snowmobile, if I want!    

------------------
Swager
I/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 05-24-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2000, 08:22:00 AM »
Great thread going here, people!

Sorry, StSanta, I haven't checked this forum in a while as I've been working on a website when no playing games.

As to Guam, well, I'm half Guamanian (word for 'one who comes from Guam'), and my Dad is a native of the island.  When I was 12 years old my Dad decided to split California and move back to the homeland, and I'm glad he did, because it's the home of my heart.  I miss a lot about Guam, the fiestas, the sunsets, the water, coconuts, mangos, guava, star apples, avacados, papaya, etc, etc, etc <sigh>  I swear to you all I'll go back to stay too!  Oh, and yes I have a ton of relatives there  

Anyway, about the water.  StSanta, I only remember one place where I dove past the reef that had any sand!  The rest was pure coral!  Towers of coral, some 8-10ft(2.5-3m) tall!  It's really something to swim in such an environment.  And fish all over the place too.  The water can get amazingly clear as well.  In fact, while snorkelling once in a bay down in southern Guam, we got to some water that got deep pretty fast.  I still remember the chill of looking down towards the unseen bottom as sun rays streaked downwards.  The water was so incredibly blue that for a second I thought I was floating in space and that I'd fall right in!

My relatives and I did a bit of net-fishing and deep-sea fishing too.  I still remember the day my father came home with this 4 foot Yellowfin Tuna!  We had tuna for months!

I really miss the place now, especially the local food (Guam was a Spanish colony for 300 years before the USA took it in 1898 - my last name is Leon Guerrero), the island mentality, and the tropical weather.  Someday I'll go back.  Someday  

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 05-24-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2000, 08:39:00 AM »
StSanta(Oops!),

Regarding your musings of marriage.  From everything you have said it's obvious to me that you are not ready for marriage, and no reason to rush it.  When/if it happens you'll know.

For me, marriage is not so much a social institution, or even a committment in the stark sense of the word.  Marriage is a gift of mutual love and respect.  Its not open to all, but when someone comes along who expands your life in that weird way it seems that the only gift worth giving(and receiving) is that.

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 05-25-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »
Oh, I believe it was my musings  .

Don't mean to say it's a Bad Thing(tm) or anything like that - I just fail to get the point. It wouldn't be the first time I fial to get a point  .

Now, I understand deep relationships. I just fail to see what difference a legal technicality can do. You're either comitted or you're not, regardless of papers, at least in my book.

Should it be seen as a manifestation of a comittment, bringing the abstract down to a concrete plane?

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Swager:
I was 35 when I got married.  I believe I was mature enough to handle it!  My wife is my best friend and I could not imagine life without her!

Oh!  She has the basic control of the cash! She is much better with money!    

Not to worry, she gave me the OK to buy a new snowmobile, if I want!    

Same here, was 30 when I married, we put all the money into one pot, she's the banker, anything over a $500 dollar purchase, we have a "Needs/Wants" conference, this was suggested by me.  Works out very well, as in Swagers case, my wife is the better budgetor, and she's not materialistic, doesn't have to have the latest dress, etc.  Very simple woman.  I feel so fortunate, but sad, since I have found the ultimate woman, and no one else will have a chance to enjoy her intelligence and company  at the same level I am.

We had children 4  years after marriage, bought all of our 'toys' and a house BEFORE having children, thus, lots of cash on hand once they got here!

My advice is to always live with a woman (though it is against some religions) prior to getting married to see if you are truly compatible, and tolerable of changing, because, when one becomes two, you must give, and you must take.

Forgot to mention I was into skydiving for a time in my 20's.  11 jumps, 6 of which were 30 seconds or  more free-falls.  Great sport, will return to it one day.