Author Topic: What are your other hobbies?  (Read 3719 times)

78con

What are your other hobbies?
« on: May 19, 2000, 10:47:00 PM »
After seeing a couple of post concerning 4wheeling I came to a realazation. Some poor souls out there have not one but multiple combinatios of the same afflictions as I. Sometimes I find it amazing I have time to breathe. So I wondered, What other hobbies do you have?

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »
Boat building. Been building a strip-plank West system Cat boat(Charles Witholtz design)since 1994.  She's 17' of epoxy and cedar.  Teak here and there.  When will it be done? Prolly 2 weeks,maybe,who knows, heheeee!!  Ya, she's gaff rigged too.  The design was drawn for the Herman boat works.

Any other sailors out there??

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2000, 03:42:00 AM »
Boats should be used not as fishing vessels or for dragging dweebs on skis or fr any other idiotic thing, like cruising. Maybe very high speed cruising would be acceptable.

Boats, or ships, or sailing vessels, well, basically anything that can move and float have one purpose only; DIVE PLATFORMS.

As soon as everyone learn this basic truth about Boats And Other Floating Things, life will be better.

Jetskis are pure evil. "Look, some diver down flags! Let's race over there and use them as a slalom course!"

Scuba diving and rock climbing (more of the former) takes up my time. Not at the moment though since my drysuit is busted and only dweebs wanna get really wet while scuba diving  

This summer I am taking up something I've done a lot of in AH - sky diving. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2000, 04:23:00 AM »

Not at the moment though since my drysuit is busted and only dweebs wanna get really wet while scuba diving.
- StSanta

Hmm.  Back home in Guam a wetsuit was unthinkable, and a dry suit?  Ridiculous!  when you're 14 degrees north of the equator the water gets mighty warm     You know what we wore?  Clothes!  That's right, long sleeve shirt, and pants, with tabis, of course.  It was to protect us from the Fire Coral which could leave sting marks.

Also, we almost never dove off a boat.  Instead, we'd walk across the reef (all 300-400m of it) at low tide, then jump off the edge into the deep.  That first jump into the water was the best, because it was murder to walk that distance with a tank and your equipment.  I would just go dormant those first few seconds, letting the cool envelope me, while my legs re-energized.

Miss those days <sigh>  
ingame: Raz

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2000, 08:57:00 AM »
Those Dweebs pulled behind the boat are top water jigs used to troll for alligators in florida and Lousiana. Get slow enough you might hook a big one. Kinda hard on friends tho keep haven to find new ones that like to Water Ski.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »

Hmm. Back home in Guam a wetsuit was unthinkable, and a dry suit? Ridiculous! when you're 14 degrees north of the equator the water gets mighty warm  You know what we wore? Clothes! That's right, long sleeve shirt, and pants, with tabis, of course. It was to protect us from the Fire Coral which could leave sting marks.

FEH! WARM WATER? FEH! BAH HUMBUG! Biological life? Who needs THAT?

REAL men, like me, use boats, or dive platofrms as I call them, to get to other sunken dive platforms, and to get into lots and lots of cumbersome gear that can be really uncomfortable so you can crawl in the mud and see three inches in front of you?

PANTS? HAH!

Seriously, Guam is one of my dream dive places - has it all. Great underwater life, excellent wreck diving, great water temp, great conditions.

Must have been quite nice. A change from the mudcrawling we do here.

The advantage of not diving dry is (if you're a newbie) avoiding suit squeeze. My old busted suit was a tad bit small, and imagine all air being compressed and the suit starting to squeeze around your groin while you realize you've forgotten to connect the inflation hose.

Who needs helium?  

How long did you stay there?

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
I dive a bit too. My wife and I spearfish in the Florida Keys, off Pompano Bch and in Palm Bch County.

She points to a fish and looks at me. I nod my head yes or no. I had to institute that procedure to keep her from killing everything that swims.

Off Pompano Bch/Ft. Lauderdale area where I live, you have to go deep for decent fish, say 70 ft. We get hog snapper and grouper amoung other species. Off Palm Beach county it is more pristine and not quite so fished out. The Keys are really nice too, with many juvenile hog snapper amoung the bigger ones, but they taste just as good.

I think back to when I dove the Great Lakes in Michigan, USA when you needed a dry suit to extend the diving season. All that pain to get down there, and when you finally did, there wasn't anything to see unless you were on a wreck.

My buddies and I also used to dive in the St. Clair river near Detroit. We would tie 6 foot buddie lines at the wrist and go flying down river at 40 feet depth for about a mile until the river turned and we came up to meet whoever was going to give us a car ride back. And for what? To see sunken automobiles, water heaters and all kinds of other stuff. Yechhh.

------------------

http://www.ropescourse.org/flying.htm"" TARGET=_blank>332nd Flying Mongrels

[This message has been edited by Gunthr (edited 05-21-2000).]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
You're a spoiled brat gunthr  

I live for wreck diving, so lack of marine life isn't that big an issue for me.

I bet it would be if I ever experienced coral reefs though <g>

Closest thing I've come is diving in Norway - great cold water diving with abundant wildlife. Well worth it, plus the fjords anre just stunning.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
 I know, StSanta  

Still, I wonder what it is like other places... Guam would be fascinating.

I do like wrecks and the fish they attract, but I never go inside unless its wide open... I get the willys.  

------------------

"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

JENG

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2000, 08:09:00 PM »
Hehehehe nice to see people sharing the same hobby. I'm a scubadiver too, and indeed boats are just things to get you where ya want to dive   Hehehehe santa, our students do their first 10 dives in the estuarium of the schelde river. Normal visibility is less then one yard   So compass and lifeline are pretty much bread and butter for me  

Everywhere I go I look up the local divingplaces   (been a bit discusted tho by the amount of risk taken in some places to get 'touristdollars')

Bee

funked

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2000, 08:39:00 AM »
I did some muff diving once.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
Funked, you're nasty! (I was thinking that same thing as I scrolled down!)

My hobbies are in this order:
~Raising my 2 boys.
~Physical Fitness (wife says I'm obsessed, but yet enjoys the end results, you go figure).
~Computers.
~Collecting A/C memorabilia, pictures, stamps, etc.
~Fishing, bird hunting.
~Landscaping.

Hobbies 10 years ago:
~Water skiing
~Snow skiing
~Chasing women(only chase one now)
~Elk and Deer, bird hunting, fishing

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-22-2000).]

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2000, 11:06:00 AM »
Hobbies -
Golf
Skiing
Fishing
Water Skiing
#1 is saloming around those funny flags
on my Sea Doo. It's great stuff, especially
when they are moving. (LOL satan!)

Also enjoy great music and theatre.

Sour

------------------
Sourkraut
JG-2 Richthofen

"Hey - someone has to be the target...."

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2000, 11:55:00 AM »
I golf alot.  Almost killed myself skiing earlier this year.  Had alot of fun!  

Whipping Sour in horseshoes, while drinking his beer!!      He kicks my butt at golf though!!

Fishing.  Don't do much of that anymore!

I also hunt but house improvements have gotten in the way last year.  Hope to bow hunt this year.

I love to snowmobile!  Give me a nice, quiet, beautiful, snowy landscape and I can mess it up pretty quick!!

Love sitting outside on a warm night, drinkin a cold beer and chatting with my wife!  One of the finest pleasures!

I have about 4-5 model WWII fighters I need to build.  Just never enough time!    

Over all I'm a pretty simple guy!  

------------------
Swager
I/JG2~Richthofen~
"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 05-22-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2000, 12:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Swager:

Love sitting outside on a warm night, drinkin a cold beer and chatting with my wife!  One of the finest pleasures!

Bingo, forgot to add this one to my favorites!  Though I don't consider it a hobby, it's more like day to day life!

I used to golf alot, actually managed to get a 14 handicap, but then my wife wanted to learn, she did, and it cost us ALOT of money for two of us to golf, decided to give it up until we retire, when we have two less living with us and more money!

<S> Swager, alot of us are more alike than you can imagine..