Author Topic: Economic fallout?  (Read 817 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Economic fallout?
« on: September 11, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »
Less than 4 hours after the tragedy in NYC and the Pentagon, here in my town, population 1200 people, the price of gasoline went from $1.79 for a gallon of unleaded to $3.52 a gallon.  Anyone else seeing this kind of lunacy?
"After our tanks are dry the pumps are going to be turned off," was all the station owners would tell me.  We have 4 places to buy gas here, and 3 of the 4 immediately jacked their prices......Texaco's station raised the price to $1.81 oddly enough.
It is exactly actions such as these that hurt us in the long run....no refinery was hit, our petroleum industry was not hit, but due to the price gouging I have seen today, people are reluctant to spend their money.  This can negatively affect the economy, which is dependent on the flow of currency. Seems some people are playing right along with the terrorists, exhibiting the lack of confidence they sought to instill in us........

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Economic fallout?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2001, 10:35:00 PM »
Pipelines were shut down as a precautionary measure.  The gas station owners in the midwest acted as I would expect money grubbing gas companies to act.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Economic fallout?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2001, 10:50:00 PM »
Check a local TX channel.  Attorney General in TX put up a hotline for gouging.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Economic fallout?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2001, 10:50:00 PM »
We lost a few buldings, many people and business of a few companies that trade stocks of other companies (that actually produce stuff).
 Our industial, military, political and technological strenght is not affected in the least.
 World economy was heading for the recession and it will get into it (and out) anyway.

Economy is the least of our worries now. We can always produce more stuff and build bigger buildings...

miko

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Economic fallout?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2001, 11:46:00 PM »
To bad the economy blumes in a war  :(