Author Topic: [sarcasm]WTC was bad but look at the positive side...  (Read 1884 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
[sarcasm]WTC was bad but look at the positive side...
« on: September 11, 2001, 10:27:00 PM »
No official is venturing to estimate the death toll, but I would not be surprised if it reached ten thousand.
 That is a horrendous blow to us all but look at the bright side - we all (US citizen and our Government) are going to immencely profit from that due to an ingenious invention - THE DEATH TAX.
 Many of the people who worked and have died in the WTC were very wealthy and of all that they owned (over a million or so $$), we get half!
 That may be a lot of money coming into our federal coffers. Should we thank the terrorists for that sudden increase in revenue?

How does that money smell to you, guys?

miko     :mad:

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2001, 12:24:00 AM »
Miko,

I am not sure that you were trying to be serious or funny. I think you might want to edit this one. It doesn't come across well.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2001, 05:09:00 AM »
Most people don't much like irony.

Here's an excellent example of it.
sand

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2001, 05:43:00 AM »
yea I don't see the point of the post either.

One thing I am grateful for is the fact that chemical or bio weapons where not included/released in this attack. Also the threat of a nuclear suitcase would have increased causalities by the million fold...
as bad as it was, it could have been worse.

Now, find the ones responsible and anyone who supports them and wipe them from the face of this earth!
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2001, 09:31:00 AM »
cc Eagler

Offline sourkraut

• Copper Member
      • http://www.riverrunne.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »
I am sure that all families of the janitorial help, the receptionists, the fireman, police officers, mail room humpers, etc. would not agree with you. YOur sense of humor is appalling.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2001, 11:36:00 AM »
I think Miko was pointing out the irony.

Some people find irony humorous. I'm not typically one of them. Irony is a dark humor.

That said...

Humor is a healthy reaction to tragedy and loss. We all have our own way of dealing with grief.

I'm not about to say one person's way is wrong.

Best wishes to Miko and everyone else.
sand

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
Irony is fine.  But in a public forum, at this particular time, on this particular topic, it's not appropriate.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
Guys,
 My post about the death tax was not an irony. It is sarcasm - almost the opposite and quite serious.

I consider it atrocious that society has laws that allow some people (myself included) to profit at the expence of other's tragedy.
 Participate in someone's success though income taxes - OK. Profit from someone's death - NO! I do not want MY GOVERNMENT to extort a penny from children of people who just died.

miko

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
EagleC?

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2001, 10:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
yea I don't see the point of the post either.
Now, find the ones responsible and anyone who supports them and wipe them from the face of this earth!

So, you do not see any problem with our goverment taking away half of the property that those people who've died worked all their lives to save and leave to their children?
 That along with the grief of losing a parent they have to be entangled in legal stuff and have to sell houses/companies, etc. so that they can pay taxes? And all that money already taxed several times as corporate profits, then as personal profits.
 Oh, yes - when liquidating all that stuff (bought with after-tax money) there will also be capital-gains tax coming.

I see a lot of idle talk on this board related to the WTC disaster. I also see the reality. People fantacizing on what should be done. The reality is very different from what is said though.

I could not get closer then a few blocks to the site yesterday - the police did not admit any volunteers. I chose not to stand in 7-hour blood donation line yesterday but I can do it in a couple of day when the blood will be really needed.
 I cannot fight the terrorists personally though ironically, I had an opportunity of doing just that but with my luck I was on the wrong side again - when Bin Ladin was not a homicidal religious maniac but an american-supported freedom fighter...
 I can and did vote republican.

So that was all my practical involment until I realised that I am going to share (through my government) in the money that results DIRECTLY from the deaths of thousands innocent victims.

It makes me a vulture. I have a moral problem with that.

Do you see my point now, Eagler?

Anyone else? If not, whoever you are, your concience is thicker-skinned then mine. Go back to shouting anti-terrorist slogans then, along with Yasir Arafat, Taliban government and mr. Qaddafi.

miko

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2001, 12:15:00 AM »
I get your point, miko.  And what you state are facts.  Intersting take on the "rich" that died Tuesday.  But, you know our Congress persons(note political correctness)never have to handle that blood soaked money. Their job is just to spend it.

I get your well made point. Too bad others don't.  Yes, perhaps we should have a moral componate to taxation.

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2001, 02:12:00 AM »
Miko,

You seem to have no idea about how tax system & economy in general works. Besides that, I think it's just not the time to post this particular matter. Your sensibility seems to level with your apparent economic accumen.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pepe:
Miko,

You seem to have no idea about how tax system & economy in general works. Besides that, I think it's just not the time to post this particular matter. Your sensibility seems to level with your apparent economic accumen.

I am a highly-qualified licensed professional in financial area. I know more then 99% of the general public how the tax system works.
 I worked for US banks, brokerages, etc. for over 10 years.
 Despite being highly paid, I do not expect to amass an estate that would be taxable. In fact even if I could, I would not want to leave anything to my children other then withdom, skills and education - not only expectation of wealth spoils children, but my belief is that no human should wait for another human's death to gain benefit (short of organ donation). So I have no material stake in this.

My objections are purely moral. I do not want to share in the money taken from the family striken by grief. It is bloody money.  It's profiting from someone's tragedy

This particuar time is just right to post this topic - while I object in sharing loot from any deceased people, inheriting half of property of those particular victims makes me sick right now.

I may have been mistaken in naming the thread in thinking that all people understand sarcasm and/or content.

miko

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2001, 06:43:00 PM »
I think it's wrong to argue now about the justice or not of precisey that tax, timing side.

I think it's wrong to use sarcasm as a way of expression in these moments, on the sensibility side.

I think it's possibly the worst moment to ask for a decrease in taxation. We are all going into an expansive fiscal economic policy. Especially America will need all the taxes he can gather. This on the economic rationals side.

I think your government is going to do something with regards to helping the victims, not only tax them. That on the scope and common sense side.