Author Topic: What if the CT was....  (Read 701 times)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
What if the CT was....
« on: April 26, 2005, 12:10:21 AM »
an arena split between Axis and Allies using a rolling plane set, with MA type settings for DAR, Base Capture, etc..

Do you think it would attract more people?  Would you be interested in flying in it?  

Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
What if the CT was....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 01:10:45 AM »
I think the rolling plane set would be fine.  I don't think anything else needs to be changed that you mentioned.

It was fun tonite NOT seeing the 109s as far out and having to react.  It was nice not having the generals moving the fight from field to field.  The air combat seemed to ebb and flow back and forth over the water between 15 and 45/46

The history buff in me thought it kind of cool to imagine I was crossing the French coast in my 38G just as it would if it was a Pac map with Rabaul, the Slot or something similar.

I'd love it if the fields had accurate names so that you'd launch from Tangmere, Debden, Biggin Hill etc, and could cross over to St. Omar, Ostend, Dieppe,etc instead of just numbers.  But that's just me :)

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What if the CT was....
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:25:48 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
I think the rolling plane set would be fine.  I don't think anything else needs to be changed that you mentioned.

It was fun tonite NOT seeing the 109s as far out and having to react.  It was nice not having the generals moving the fight from field to field.  The air combat seemed to ebb and flow back and forth over the water between 15 and 45/46

The history buff in me thought it kind of cool to imagine I was crossing the French coast in my 38G just as it would if it was a Pac map with Rabaul, the Slot or something similar.

I'd love it if the fields had accurate names so that you'd launch from Tangmere, Debden, Biggin Hill etc, and could cross over to St. Omar, Ostend, Dieppe,etc instead of just numbers.  But that's just me :)

Dan/CorkyJr

A .... fluggin' ... men, brother. And an e-club. ;)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
What if the CT was....
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 01:46:44 AM »
What if God was one of us?

:D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What if the CT was....
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 01:56:08 AM »
WWTBD

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 07:03:33 AM »
Originally posted by TheBug
an arena split between Axis and Allies using a rolling plane set, with MA type settings for DAR, Base Capture, etc..

Do you think it would attract more people?  Would you be interested in flying in it?  

I think that would be a great idea. Sooner or later everything in the inventory flies. This would be the only setup where everbodys favorite ride would be available at some point. It couldnt hurt to try it.
Vote TheBug.
:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 07:54:26 AM »
Originally posted by TheBug

I think Fork was the first (and, I believe, the only) CM to run a rolling plane set within a one-week period.  It was the Slot map; started with Wildcats v. A6M2s, ended with the 1945 plane set.  People enjoyed it, although on any given night there might have been a slight imbalance.  Probably it would work even better now that we have the Frank.  No reason why you couldn't do the same thing in ETO.

While I used to be a mild proponent of MA settings, I don't think I am anymore.  Someone ran a thread in General Discussion a year or so ago, asking MA people why they stayed away from the CT.  By far the most common answer was that the icon and DAR settings made combat too difficult to find.  Since then we have frequently had MA settings for these features, and it hasn't attracted more people.  I've adjusted to the notion that the CT never will be competitive with the MA, so that we should be a distinct alternative, rather than just another room.

- oldman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:19:46 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I think Fork was the first (and, I believe, the only) CM to run a rolling plane set within a one-week period.  It was the Slot map; started with Wildcats v. A6M2s, ended with the 1945 plane set.  People enjoyed it, although on any given night there might have been a slight imbalance.  Probably it would work even better now that we have the Frank.  No reason why you couldn't do the same thing in ETO.
- oldman

Oldie .

I think what Thebug was suggesting was a rolling plane set where (all axis and allied planes are enabled.) Something like A6M2s, BF-109Es, P-40B's, Spit, and Hurri I's. Starting on the first day.  Then progessing from there.:)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
What if the CT was....
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 08:22:20 AM »
There was a map in the building process that had New Georgia and Bougainville on it along with the northern solomons. I never could find it or the maker after I contacted him and asked him to clean it up a little.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 08:36:48 AM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Oldie .

I think what Thebug was suggesting was a rolling plane set where (all axis and allied planes are enabled.) Something like A6M2s, BF-109Es, P-40B's, Spit, and Hurri I's. Starting on the first day.  Then progessing from there.:)

nope i wouldnt fly that cuz then id just be another MA with spit5s and la7s on one side and G10s and D9s on the other.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 04:32:15 PM »
Originally posted by TrueKill
nope i wouldnt fly that cuz

If there was ever a better reason to implement the rolling plane set I surely couldn't find it.

Just teasing Truekill, appreciate the input  To be honest I'm not totally sold on the idea just like trying to direct the threads toward more constructive conversations.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
What if the CT was....
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 04:53:22 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
What if God was one of us?

Which God?
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
What if the CT was....
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 05:30:33 PM »
My question isnt whether or not God is one of us.  Its "Does God smoke pot"?  It would explain alot of things I've seen over the years.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 07:34:13 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
Oldie .

I would try this.  It even occurred to me, at one desperate point.  All Axis rides v. all Allied rides, for a particular time period.  Worth a try.  

- oldman

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: What if the CT was....
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 07:57:40 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I would try this.  It even occurred to me, at one desperate point.  All Axis rides v. all Allied rides, for a particular time period.  Worth a try.  

- oldman

Why not try it for week or 2  - nothing to lose is there. RPS could be a regular once a month feature if it worked out
I come from a land downunder