Author Topic: What is a Boroda to do?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« on: June 05, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »

SeaWulfe

What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »
Dude... if a shortage of Vodka is considered a crisis there.. I wonder what they would call nuclear warheads flying over their heads?
-SW

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
Hehe, Russians didn't quit drinking even during Gorbachev's "dry law" in late-80s  

As Vladimir the Bright Sun said 1000 years ago - "Rusi yest' veselie piti", "Russia enjoys drinking". BTW, it was one of the main reasons why he had chosen an Orthodox religion  

We already have so many "exise tax stamps" on the bottles as if vodka is delivered by mail  

So far there is no shortages. Yesterday in a nearby store I counted about 50 different brands of vodka, from cheapest 30 rubles poison to de-luxe crystall bottles for 300 rubles per bottle. ($1 = 29 rubles now)

As for me - I have a bottle or two in my refrigerator, but they usually last for a few months. I think that 100g before a supper is good for disgestion, but I never drink more alone. Vodka is a special drink that requires special food (zakuska), and it's social. Maybe once in two weeks we have parties with traditional dishes and lot's of vodka, that's not used to get drunk fast, but to arise appetite and help people relax.

I am sure I'll be able to afford vodka even if the prices go up 100-200%. The brands I prefer (Vinogradov, Gzhelka, sometimes Topaz or Istok) cost 60-80 rubles for half-litre, it's next to nothing.

In fact I drink much more beer then vodka. If the beer price will rise - it will be much worse for me.

And don't forget that in province people still prefer "samogon" - moonshine, it's even cheaper, and good samogon is much better then vodka they can get in stores.

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2001, 10:01:00 AM »
BTW, Ripsnort, why did you place an indefinite article before my callsign?  

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Boroda, it may surprise you to know that our most popular brand of vodka in Washington state, US, is (forgive spelling) "Stolyvichnaya" which sells for about $25 dollars a bottle (725 rubles)...cheap stuff is about $12.00 (348) rubles a bottle.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by Boroda:
BTW, Ripsnort, why did you place an indefinite article before my callsign?  

Oh, just thought of you, being russian, when I read the article.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
Rip, I know about vodka prices in States  

Western drinks are very expensive here too. A 0.75 bottle of gin costs at least 500 rubles, whiskey, good rum and imported brandy are also difficult to afford. As for me - I prefer Armenian, Georgian or Dagestanian brandy (we call it "cognac", there is no word "brandy" in Russian language), or maybe balsams from Far East if I want something different from vodka.

The funniest booze label I have ever seen was on a bottle of Moskovskaya made somewhere in Kharkov or Donetsk: "Only vodka from Ukraine is genuine Russian vodka!"

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2001, 12:13:00 PM »
Baltika nr. 9 rules!! 3 of 1/2liter bottles of this baby will start any party.

(The factory is owned by the finns btw  )

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »
Baltika #9 is a bottled headache. I do like strong beers, but this is definetly one of the worst. I never thought it is brewed for export...

If you want a strong beer - better choose Stariy Melnik, Yarpivo (better canned then bottled) or Stepan Razin (another beer from Leningrad) strong sorts. Baltika Honey Strong is not bad too, but it comes in 1.5L plastic bubbles.

I didn't know that Baltika brewery is owned by Finns. I thought that "Vienna" brewery is Finnish, they make Sinebryukhoff beer  

The only beer made in Finland that I tasted here was Lapin Kulta. Nice, but too thin for me. A little "waterish".

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
Absolut Vodka!
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
Boroda: I live 120km from the border so it's easy enough to drive to buy a sixpack and a tank of gas (which is less than half price in russia) and return.

Yes, Baltika was purchased by a finnish company (like Saku in Estonia..)

Nr9 may be a bottled headache, but the effect is like having your brain bashed with a chunk of gold wrapped in lemon.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2001, 04:20:00 PM »
Boroda: As Vladimir the Bright Sun said 1000 years ago - "Rusi yest' veselie piti", "Russia enjoys drinking". BTW, it was one of the main reasons why he had chosen an Orthodox religion
 I thought he chose christianity rather then islam because of alcohol and Ortodox over Catholicism because of women and all that celibacy stuff and, of course, bribes from Bisantium? Also, no purgatory. That was a fine example how to deal with religion.

Boroda: ...I think that 100g before a supper is good for disgestion...
...I have a bottle or two in my refrigerator, but they usually last for a few months...

How often do you eat supper, then?...    

Ripsnort: ...most popular brand of vodka in Washington state, US, is "Stolyvichnaya" which sells for about $25 dollars a bottle...
 That is a 2-liter bottle, not 0.5 liter common in Russia.
 BTW, russians living in US mostly prefer Absolut to any kind of russian vodka.

The funniest booze label I have ever seen was on a bottle of Moskovskaya made somewhere in Kharkov or Donetsk: "Only vodka from Ukraine is genuine Russian vodka!"
 That is probably because russians a nation/state rose in the area now referred to as Ukraine. Kiev was called "mother of the russians cities" long before Moscow was founded.

miko

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 06-05-2001).]

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2001, 03:01:00 AM »
Yeah Miko, it is very true that russians living in US prefer Absolute rather Stolychnaya... Thing is you dont have an option of buying a Ternopolskaya vodka there  

BTW Boroda I will soon to be in Moscow <I hope>, if you like I can bring one finest Ucrainian bottle of vodka with me   also everybody knows that Obolon is the best beer maker in Europe   You dont have it either in Moscow exept for BS Premium Obolon .333 Cl bottle full of chems...

<S> all beer lovers and vodka drinkers

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2001, 03:05:00 AM »
Also if total value of all exise tax stamps would be X, then price for bottle of vodka in Kiev would be X/2.... Hehe tax avoiding is a great skill, but here it has been taken to the next level...

------------------
Best regards
Dmitry aka vfGhosty

[This message has been edited by Dmitry (edited 06-06-2001).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
What is a Boroda to do?
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2001, 03:42:00 AM »
but the effect is like having your brain bashed with a chunk of gold wrapped in lemon.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster!

And yeah, Absolut is the best there is  .

------------------
--
Baron StSanta Von GrossenArsch