Author Topic: Ripsnort....  (Read 1094 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Ripsnort....
« on: September 12, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
I was wondering what the general mood around Boeing was since the news broke.

I'm not trying to be accusatory... but it has to be hard for a company to hear that the single worst act on US soil was perpetuated with Boeing aircraft.  Is there anything coming down the pipeline in this regards?

Once again.. its not a "Boeing is responsible" charge... just a question about what your company's perception on the subject is right now.  The execs must really be thinking about this right now.

AKDejaVu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Hey deja,
At home since it happened yesterday, will re-post tomorrow after I get to work.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2001, 02:02:00 PM »
I was in yesterday and again today.  I can say this - yesterday was not very productive around here.

I'm sure the fact that our planes were used saddens everyone, but I have not heard any comments along that line around the workplace.  There is more concern about the four Boeing employees who died in the hijackings.

There was this in a company-wide message from Phil Condit.  "Boeing commercial airplanes, with their civilian passengers, being used as instruments of terrorism, touches each of us deeply.  Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who have lost family and friends."

I guess the bottom line is, in something this horrible it really doesn't matter whose plane was used.

- Yoj

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
I know it doesn't matter Yoj.

Your quote of the company official tells me that they too have been thinking about it, however.

I'm wondering when boredom with the lack of developing stories turns the media in other directions.  I bet you money your execs are too.  I'm sure they'll be prepared.

Once again, most of the reasoning world understands the situation.  Unfortutately, the media does not fall into that category.

By the way, here at Intel we sent all of the trades home yesterday.  We knew they'd be distracted and didn't want them doing any dangerous work with such a high risk of distraction.  We allowed all Intel employees to take the rest of the day off if they wanted to.  Those who stayed behind spent most of the day in the cafeteria glued to the television sets that the company had set up down there.  Its amazing to see how this kind of tragedy affects such an international workplace as we have here.

AKDejaVu

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
We had a lot of people not come in yesterday. Since I work in process development and documentation there was nothing that could get too messed up.  I don't know what they did in the factory shops and lines, but I suspect few people were doing critical work.  Around here we were all glued to our computers (and getting frustrated with the overloaded net).  

I wish we had had some kind of word from the top, but the policy seems to have been to let everyone decide for themselves.

- Yoj

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Boeing is no more responsible for the acts of those animals any more than Ford is when a drunk in a Ford causes a traffic fatality.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2001, 03:25:00 PM »
Its not a matter of responsibility.  Its a matter of name/product association.

AKDejaVu

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Did you see the video of the boeing serial number of the engine (prolly) dropped on a car hood? That was unrealistic looking picture..The object was bend shaped thick metal piece with metalurgy tag "BOEING-serial number".

Do you think that the black boxes would be in one piece?

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
I can tell you that it sucks when someone takes something you spend a greater portion of your life creating, and uses it to these kind of ends.

Quote:This has been a sad day that will profoundly affect each of us.  These events will be in our memories for the rest of our lives.  For Boeing and its people it has been an especially difficult day.  Several Boeing people were killed on American Airlines Flight No. 77.  My deepest sympathy goes to their families and friends.  Boeing people also were near the Pentagon when the airplane crashed there, but were uninjured.  Boeing commercial airplanes, with their civilian passengers, being used as instruments of terrorism, touches each of us deeply.  Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who have lost family and friends.  

Thank you for your thoughts and your efforts in the days ahead as Boeing people work to find answers and work to protect the security of the United States.  I appreciate anything you can do from giving blood to providing technical assistance and expertise.

Phil (CEO The Boeing Company)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
Do you think that the black boxes would be in one piece?

I actually think that the black box from the second plane to impact the World Trade Center (sorry.. can't bring myself to acronym this) may have the best chance of being recovered.

The crash in Penn was at a steep angle.  The discouraging (heart wrenching to be honest) thing about that crash is that from all the footage I've seen, there was zero sizeable debris.

The crash in the first building seemed to be contained within the building and the debris was/is buried in the rubble of the collapsed building.

The crash of the second plane was slightly different.  The nose of the plane was actually poking through the opposite end of the building before the major explosion occured.  This presents the possiblity that the recorder (if in the front of the plane) might have survived the initial impact and been thrown out of the building by the explosion.  Basically... its the only crash that has yeilded any recognisable debris.

Damn... that's a morbid observation.

AKDejaVu

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
The boxes have survived some horrible crashes in the past.  They stand a good chance of being recovered.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
The black box is designed to withstand a full impact crash.  The 4th flight to auger in, most certainly they recovered it.  The flight data of 3 angles I believe will be recorded, as well as the cockpit conversation.

My love of Boeing aircraft began at age 4..when my mom took me to the airport to see my father off on a business trip, the 727 was relatively new in aviation (1964) and I got to see a 707 and 727 parked side by side, a rare event during a time of transition from turbo props to jets. It was the first time I saw a jet. I told my dad "I'm going to build those one day".  I don't recall this, but my dad reminds me whenever he visits.

At 18, my first job was a mill operator building spares parts for the last of the 727's (production stopped in 1978).  Then I was honored to be part of the tooling up for the 757, then 767 programs, a first in Boeings history, to roll out two brand new different types of aircraft that had the technological advantage of being identical cockpits, or near identical, in regards to pilot familiararity.

I attended both roll outs, and remember how much my chest stuck out at a young age watching these aircraft come out of the hangars (separate roll out dates, same year)

I think I speak for every Boeing employee that we are a proud breed of American workers that try to build the best product known world wide as Boeing jets.  Everytime one has fallen to the ground, employees I have worked with in the past and presence, felt some sort of 'loss'.  To witness them used in this terrible feat is something that words do no justice.  I guess being 4 years old had more benefits because of the unknown.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Ripsnort....
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks Rip... when you are speaking on behalf of Boeing employees... its nice to see that it could not have been worded better.

<S>

AKDejaVu