Author Topic: Serial numbers on bullets?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Serial numbers on bullets?
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2005, 01:02:12 PM »
To make this work cali will have to outlaw all pistol ammo sold in the state by say 1/1/2007 without the serial number etching. And probably outlaw all componets sold in the state to. This will mean no internet sales to cali residents. Which will mean your car searched at the boarder for ilegal fruit and ammo.

Cap and ball 31. cal  4 inch barrel is not a bad personal defense wheapon if you learn how to use it.............
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »
Originally posted by stantond
That's an interesting topic in number theory.  Since billions of bullets are produced each year, how would you number them (i.e. what base number system would you use)?   Who keeps track of all that information?  

Sometimes its the simplest questions that provide show stoppers.  

Regards,

Malta

All vehicles now have a 17 digit serial number, regulated by the Feds. Combination of letters and numbers. The permutations are huge.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2005, 01:27:07 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Why do your politicians/lawmakers want to take these draconian steps?

Because we legalized political bribery (lobbying).

One corporation comes up with nearly useless technology and start wondering how to make money with it. "Oh gosh, we could make billions if that would be required by law! Let invest few $$ in our representatives, returns will be enormous!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2005, 01:39:53 PM »
Yah, we could just put a 37 digit number on each bullet. Or maybe a 650 digit number even.

The very thought of it would keep criminals terrified.

Just like the failed ballistic fingerprinting of guns in Maryland and New York did. So far, not one crime solved by ballistic fingerprinting. Hoorah.

So, we get yet another feel-good, do-nothing law that only affects the law abiding citizens.

What's worse is some people think it is actually a smart idea.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2005, 01:53:55 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Yah, we could just put a 37 digit number on each bullet. Or maybe a 650 digit number even.

The very thought of it would keep criminals terrified.

Just like the failed ballistic fingerprinting of guns in Maryland and New York did. So far, not one crime solved by ballistic fingerprinting. Hoorah.

So, we get yet another feel-good, do-nothing law that only affects the law abiding citizens.

What's worse is some people think it is actually a smart idea.

Ya gotta remember Toad, thas all most legislation is now-a-days, is "feel good" legislation.  

Like the Brady Bill stops criminals, or the hang guns bans, or any of the nonsense that has come out of California.

I remember and always keep it close to heart,

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2005, 02:24:53 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179
1)Why would "legal" gun owners have anything to worry about?

2) I think if some homeowner shoots someone they arent gonna need the numbers on the bullet to tell who fired the shot.

I think you misread the post.
I said the LEGAL gun owners are the only ones it would track.
  This being because the law abiding citizen would be the only one using such ammo.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2005, 02:26:24 PM »
Remember, these are people who can't even hold down a job, in most cases. Initiative and industriousness do not characterise most drug addicts, gang members etc.

Many of those people either cant find work or....they dont want to find work because they make more money via illegal activities. Ever hear of a zip gun? Zip guns were made by gangs by using car radio antennaes and firing .22 bullets through them. They were very dangerous to the user, but that didnt stop them from being used.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2005, 02:34:49 PM »
there is nothing they can do to a bullet that I can't undo and make untraceable in more than a few minutes at worst.

this is merely keeping track of law abiding citizens who buy ammo.

it is removing cheap ammo from california.  making sure that less and less people enjoy shooting sports.

If even one crook were ever caught with this scam he would win "dumb crook of the year" award.

lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2005, 02:38:20 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
To make this work cali will have to outlaw all pistol ammo sold in the state by say 1/1/2007 without the serial number etching. And probably outlaw all componets sold in the state to. This will mean no internet sales to cali residents.  

That's easy to do... try buying a "jerry can" online and ship it to Cali. Good luck.
sand

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2005, 02:39:50 PM »
"But... but.. but.....  it makes me FEEL like I'm doing something about crime!"
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2005, 02:39:55 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
there is nothing they can do to a bullet that I can't undo and make untraceable in more than a few minutes at worst.

this is merely keeping track of law abiding citizens who buy ammo.

it is removing cheap ammo from california.  making sure that less and less people enjoy shooting sports.

If even one crook were ever caught with this scam he would win "dumb crook of the year" award.

lazs

Even if the serial number is etched into the copper jacket it can be filed off fairly easily. This whole thing is a pretty silly idea.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2005, 02:45:49 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
I think you misread the post.
I said the LEGAL gun owners are the only ones it would track.
  This being because the law abiding citizen would be the only one using such ammo.

No I didn't. Why would you care if you are tracked for your ammo purchases if you aren't doing anything illegal?

You guys have no idea who would use the ammo or who wouldnt.
Like it was said earlier if it solved 1 murder it would be worth it.

As far as ballistic fingerprinting Toad, if it had included rifles and not just been for handguns the washington D.C. sniper would have been caught from the start.

Good so let the bad guys use unmarked ammo and then when we find their guns with the illegal ammo they can be confiscated.

As for the gun banning, you guys are kidding yourself. That would take a constitutional amendment and last i checked Republicans had plenty of guys in office. So relax.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
Fear the slippery slope. ;)
sand

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179
No I didn't. Why would you care if you are tracked for your ammo purchases if you aren't doing anything illegal?

OK...so you think the cost and the hassles, all the tax dollars spent pushing this through is worth  it to track the people who are allready law abiding? For what purpose?
  Total moronic thinking by another name seeker who is being paid by us to do nothing about something that that don`t have a clue about. Makes perfectly good sense to me.

As far as being tracked from a personal stand point, I totaly disaprove and will avoid it in all cases possible. It sets a very dangerous presedence.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 02:57:45 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2005, 02:58:33 PM »
raider... you are not making any sense.  Or at least I can't see it.

No one here fears that under the present laws... regestration and the government knowing you have something... anything... is a bad idea.   What matters is if the law changes...  Are you for a national ID or... say the government having access to your medical or library or internet surfing records?  after all... so long as you are doing nothing illegal...  how bout how much gas you buy and how many miles you travel a year and where you go?  

It wouldn't solve any murders and even if it solved one the intrusiveness of it and POTENTIAL for future abuse... and the extreme inconvienience and expense would most certainly NOT be worth it.

How would ballistic fingerprinting have caught the DC sniper?  How much is ballistic fingerprinting costing in canada and how many crooks has it caught so far?   Ask them if it is "worth it".  

sheesh... the bad guys use marked unmarked whatever ammo.... just like they use guns with serial numbers on em.... point is... the weapon is most often found.... it has serial numbers on it and distinctive lands and grooves.... it is never traced back to the crook.  same for the bullets... You think they are gonna go to the sporting goods store and buy ammo in their name for their stolen gun?

gun banning is indeed a concern but not because it requires an amendmant... it is a concern because making things impossible to own is the same as a ban.  it is incramentalism and unfair "targeting" of law abiding groups.

The aclu would fight any invasion into peoples privacy except this one tho.... wonder why?

lazs