Author Topic: Advice on Handling an Insurance Claim?  (Read 247 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Advice on Handling an Insurance Claim?
« on: May 02, 2005, 02:38:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Today was supposed to be fun. The kids and I were going to go watch two members of our congregation in the 82nd do a "fun jump" at noon. Well, unfortunately on the way to Bragg we got into an accident on Raeford Road.

[Edited out on the advice of board members]

The damage to my car (the Durango is all dead weight and plastic) is fairly major and includes the bumper, hood, both fenders and the radiator. They are talking about simply "totalling" it at present which has me scared as I owe more on it than it is worth. The other driver has already claimed on my insurance and I have an interview with a lawyer I know tomorrow to talk about the citation.

God was extremely merciful as it could have been much worse, and no one at was hurt. But I find myself wondering what the best way of proceding is.

Any advice?

- SEAGOON

PS: anyone automotively inclined know why my airbags didn't deploy? Is there some sort of magic speed I didn't hit?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 03:11:28 PM by Seagoon »
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 02:44:10 PM »
tailgateing is dangerous

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 02:54:26 PM »
There will be people calling/contacting you (adjusters and other vermin)

#1  talk to no one about the accident except your own insurance agent...

#2 refer to rule number #1

They will call, be your buddy and act nice this is a guise intended to garner information from you that can be against your interests if it goes to a court of law.

say nothing..  even these boards if a clever lawyer knew about them could be used as evidence...

say nothing more...

only give other parties the name / contact information of your insurance..

If they continue to badger tell them you will get them for harrassment as you have already answered their questions (refer them to your insurance)

if you fail to heed the above, or have already spoke to people be shure tell your insurance company what you have discussed..  You pay insurance for a reason, and now is time for them to go to bat for you.. (and they go to bat for themselves, becuase they are paying any settlement ..)

DoctorYo

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 02:55:08 PM »
Let your lawyer handle it and delete this post as you seem to be supporting the claims of the person you hit :)

Not making light of your situation Seagoon, It is normaly the resposibility of the person doing the hitting to maintain control of his vehicle and be able to stop in a safe assured distance.

Not seeing brake lights is not a defense, non-operational brake lights would be a defense and can be tested for, even if they are destroyed in the collision.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Re: Advice on Handling an Insurance Claim?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 03:04:30 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Oh incidentally, in his claim, the driver I hit is claiming I pushed him into the car in front of him which if it was true would force my insurance to pay for the front and the back of his vehicle. This is contradicted by the police report and the other drivers.

He was following too closely so that story won't fly (unless you agree with him)

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005, 03:25:13 PM »
the pollen made you sneeze

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 03:55:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice, this was the first major accident I've been in since I was a teenager so I'm kinda without a clue.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 04:02:39 PM »
say nothing, admit nothing, be aware they tape (with you consent supposedly) 99% of claims adjuster conversatiosn, and they are used as legal documents

dont even take responsibility to your own agent, as no one in the insurance business is to ever be trusted

find your OWN counsil, and speak with them if possible NOT the appointed counsil working for the insurance company
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »
Strange, in December I was rearended by a Bug that smacked my Camry into a truck.  

You've probably already made your main statement to the investigating officer.  

The other thread advice is very good -- speak only to the investigating police and your insurance company.  Eliminates a lot of hearsay and misquoting.  

The Bug hit me hard enough to deploy both its front airbags.  I think airbags generally deploy at about 15 mph.  

My airbag did not deploy.  I was nearly stopped in a line of vehicles turning left, so even with the severe jolt I fortunately was not doing 15 mph when I was knocked into the truck in front of me.  

Inconvenient as the mishap is, as you say, it could have been a lot worse.  As for blame, that's why they're called  a c c i d e n t s.  Not like you did it on purpose.  

And yes, it probably would be a good idea to delete this thread, although if you went to court and were asked if you had sought other advice as you've done here, it might look worse if you had to say yes and then be questioned why you deleted it.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 07:20:26 PM »
accidents suck!

somebody can step on their brakes doing 60 , out of the blue, and if you rear-end them it's still your fault.

I always maintain a safe distance between myself and the car in front of me, but of course *******es who are in a rush get in between-as if it would take them anywhere faster.
people are so ****ing dumb at times!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 07:26:24 PM »
Are you on the do not call list?

When the ambulance chasers start to call to try and set up doctors appointments, advise them that you are on the do not call list and if they call again you will forward their info to the attorney general.  They stopped calling me after the first day.