Author Topic: Vietnam marks 30th anniversary of war's end  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Vietnam marks 30th anniversary of war's end
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2005, 07:30:30 PM »
Originally posted by Habu
You lost all credibility when you said the US killed 2 million civilians. Show me a credible source for that number.

I can make up total nonsense like that too.

Did you know the first microchip weighted 16 kilograms?

Why should I bother to take the time, any source I post you will deny. How about you have a search yourself and see what kind of figures you come up with.  Statistics on war dead record 1.3 million VC and somewhere around 2 million civilians. If you don't want to believe that so be it I really don't care. But those are the recorded figures in the history books.

...-Gixer

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2005, 07:34:24 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Why should I bother to take the time, any source I post you will deny. How about you have a search yourself and see what kind of figures you come up with.  Statistics on war dead record 1.3 million VC and somewhere around 2 million civilians. If you don't want to believe that so be it I really don't care. But those are the recorded figures in the history books.

...-Gixer

Are you saying that the US killed 2 million civilians in Vietnam?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2005, 09:27:19 PM »
Did a google and found some letters joined into words then placed into sentences and further, paragraphs.  I know the following to be neither true nor false and I lay them out here simply for the purpose of mucking up the water
====

The Hanoi government revealed on April 4 that the true civilian casualties of the Vietnam War were 2,000,000 in the north, and 2,000,000 in the south. Military casualties were 1.1 million killed and 600,000 wounded in 21 years of war. These figures were deliberately falsified during the war by the North Vietnamese Communists to avoid demoralizing the population.

Note: Given a Vietnamese population of approximately 38 million during the period 1954-1975, Vietnamese casualties represent a good 12-13% of the entire population. To put this in perspective, consider that the population of the US was 220 million during the Vietnam War. Had The US sustained casualties of 13% of its population, there would have been 28 million US dead.

and elsewhere, on another websight:
====
The lowest casualty estimates, based on the now-renounced North Vietnamese statements, are around 1.5 million Vietnamese killed. Vietnam released figures on April 3, 1995 that a total of one million Vietnamese combatants and four million civilians were killed in the war. The accuracy of these figures has generally not been challenged. 58,226 American soldiers also died in the war or are missing in action. Australia lost almost 500 of the 47,000 troops they had deployed to Vietnam and New Zealand lost 38 soldiers.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2005, 09:31:51 PM »
New Zealand lost 38 soldiers

The sheep wailed, goats tore at their beards.. the mourners, to this day; still fill the streets on shearing day.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2005, 09:33:54 PM »

The Hanoi government revealed on April 4 that the true civilian casualties of the Vietnam War were 2,000,000 in the north, and 2,000,000 in the south.

So, Hanoi is saying 4 million civilians were killed?

I also searched the web and could find nothing to back up Gixer's claim that the US killed 2 million civilians. Maybe it's because I'm in America and I don't get accurate information about the outside world.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2005, 09:38:49 PM »
Heres some more good reading.  I cant say one way or the other whats true and whats false about this stuff but its safe to say that gixer is entitled to formulate and declare his opinion with the caveat that it is formulated on information that may be either true or false.  To each his own.  
====
Charge: Airpower was an indiscriminate weapon that killed excessive numbers of Vietnamese civilians.

Response: Guenter Lewy has provided the most authoritative statistics on casualties in the Vietnam War--although he himself admits these numbers are estimates. He states that 250,000 South Vietnamese civilians were killed in the fighting, with another 39,000 assassinated by the Viet Cong. Breaking down the casualties by cause is difficult, but based on those civilians admitted to hospitals between 1967 and 1970, Lewy estimates that 67 percent of all injuries resulted from mines, mortars, guns, and grenades. The other 33 percent were injured by shelling or bombing. If these percentages are used for the entire war, and if we assume that the number of those injured by shelling or bombing are equal (Lewy doesn't break this category down), and if we assume that those killed met their fates in the same percentages as did those who were wounded--and all of those are big ifs--then of the 587,000 Vietnamese civilians, both north and south, that Lewy states were killed during the war, around 147,000 (25 percent) died from air attacks. The other 75 percent, more than 440,000 people, were killed by ground or naval action.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2005, 09:45:07 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Heres some more good reading.  I cant say one way or the other whats true and whats false about this stuff but its safe to say that gixer is entitled to formulate and declare his opinion with the caveat that it is formulated on information that may be either true or false.  To each his own.  

Your sources are not "good reading".......the first was a communist propoganda message, the other pure conjecture.

Gixer stated as FACT that the US killed 2 million civilians in Vietnam. He has offered nothing to back up his claims.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2005, 09:58:27 PM »
2,594,000 personnel served within the borders of South Vietnam (Jan.1, 1965 - March 28, 1973). Another 50,000 men served in Vietnam between 1960 and 1964. (VFW)

We all had a quota.. we were required to kill one pregnant woman, two children, plus an old man or 2 per day, as well as any livestock and buddist monks we encountered. (monks were to be burned, rather than shot) We were blood thirsty savages, stoned on thai stick and horse every day; totally dedicated to the rape and ruin of the vietnamese people.

The Vietnamese Sources lie like carpetbombs, their numbers are way off. We snuffed at least 10 million gomers just the last month we were there... shame they pulled us out, we wuz just gettin our game on.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2005, 09:59:26 PM »
Jeeze nuke:  calm down son.  Vietnam was a massive conflict and two million civies getting hammered over a decade isnt un****ing believable you know.....I do not believe it for a moment but I can see it being in the ballpark of possibility.  Plus I think gixer is a sheepshagger so dont get yer undies all bunched up
Anyway heres the links to your "communist" sources :D

http://www.rjsmith.com/kia_tbl.html

http://www.vietnam-war.info/casualties/

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2005, 10:05:45 PM »
Jeeze nuke:  calm down son.  Vietnam was a massive conflict and two million civies getting hammered over a decade isnt un****ing believable you know.....

2 milllion civilains killed by the US???? That's one of the largest acts of killing in the history of the world. Are you crazy?

When someone says the US killed 2 million civilians and can't back it up with proof, I'm not going to give them the benifit of a doubt.

Are you saying that you agreed that the US killed 2 million civilians??? Amazing. It's pure BS.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2005, 10:13:19 PM »
Anyway heres the links to your "communist" sources :D

http://www.rjsmith.com/kia_tbl.html

http://www.vietnam-war.info/casualties/

Did you happen to notice the source as being COMMUNIST Vietnam?

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2005, 10:30:09 PM »
We all had a quota.. we were required to kill one pregnant woman, two children, plus an old man or 2 per day, as well as any livestock and buddist monks we encountered. (monks were to be burned, rather than shot) We were blood thirsty savages, stoned on thai stick and horse every day; totally dedicated to the rape and ruin of the vietnamese people.

The Vietnamese Sources lie like carpetbombs, their numbers are way off. We snuffed at least 10 million gomers just the last month we were there... shame they pulled us out, we wuz just gettin our game on.

ROFLMAO

I think that's the funniest comment I think I have ever read from a vet. can't add a thing.

< S > hang and thanks.
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2005, 10:31:36 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Gixer stated as FACT that the US killed 2 million civilians in Vietnam. He has offered nothing to back up his claims.

Why NUKE asks?  Gixer is an idiot, that is why, little chode as well.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2005, 11:43:40 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
So, Hanoi is saying 4 million civilians were killed?

I also searched the web and could find nothing to back up Gixer's claim that the US killed 2 million civilians. Maybe it's because I'm in America and I don't get accurate information about the outside world.

You get it, you just choose to ignore it unless it is American.

...-Gixer

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »
nuke your losing me here bro, but thats ok.  It dinna matter.

Id hazard a guess and say 600000 civies died during 10 years and that less than half of those were a result of us action.

You see, Im guessing and its worth as much as anything else because you, me, gixer...none of us will ever know what the true number is whether itd ten, ten thousand or a million or more.

again, I dont care Im just having some fun here :D