Author Topic: Vietnam marks 30th anniversary of war's end  (Read 2880 times)

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Vietnam marks 30th anniversary of war's end
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2005, 10:02:07 AM »
Can somebody explain me, why Russian and Emrekan are using same start but in diferent colour ?

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2005, 12:08:08 PM »
Originally posted by lada
Can somebody explain me, why Russian and Emrekan are using same start but in diferent colour ?

Mozhet iz-za togo, chto "blue" /= golubye ? ;-)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2005, 12:11:14 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Damn right the Soviets lost in Afghanistan.  When I was in Adrian College in the early 90's, I had the pleasure of knowing an "Mujahdin(sp?) Freedom Fighter".  

Boroda, come off it man.  The Soviet's "lost" in Afghanistan, the same way "Tsar Nicholas lost in 1917".  

Karaya

You are probably right. There is some similarity. Both Nikolay II and Gorby were traitors. But Nikolay Romanov didn't "lose" in 1917, he deserted. At least it's how I see it. Deserted and betrayed allies.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2005, 02:45:54 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu
It has nothing to do with the government.
Besides "theyre" = chinese.
It is some kind of cultural things for the chinese to remember things for a long time, just to bring it up even several generations later.
They are VERY patient with things like that.
Thats why they've been so patient with Taiwan and not simply rushed there to make sure it stays as a part of China.
Even if Taiwan would formally declare independency, it wouldn't necessarily mean China would attack, even though they've threatened to. It could go for years before something would be done.

CHina will never attack Taiwan. They posture with their show of force not because of taiwan but because of the other provinces that have much less publicity but strive for independence from China.

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2005, 02:59:30 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
http://www.vietnamtourism.com/

Those commies seem to be doing OK!

These Commies do any better and they may improve the standard of living to two chickens per year.

http://www.dtcuba.com/eng/default.asp

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
???

It was a village that had it's complete population including pregnant women and babies slaughtered by US troops. The platoon commander, lt. Kollie (sp? I read his mane only in Cyrillic, Колли) spent someting like one year in prison, got sentenced to something like 1.5 years and released even sooner, IIRC.

Boroda you make me laugh.

The NVA and VC slaughtered whole villages and hacked off the limbs of children many times in the war. Usually the crime was accepting aid from the US.

Yet you see no reason to comment on this.

I could fill pages here of atrocites commited by the VC yet you seem to want to say the US was the evil one.

If you are not able to look at the whole war and compare what each side had done both in scale and frequency then you are just trying to do what Russians have tried to do for years. Mislead and misinform.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2005, 03:44:31 PM »
Originally posted by Habu
Boroda you make me laugh.

The NVA and VC slaughtered whole villages and hacked off the limbs of children many times in the war. Usually the crime was accepting aid from the US.

Habu you make me laugh,

The US replied with some 15.4 million tons of bombs,shells and mines (more then dropped in WW2) and killed some 2 million civilians. And there's been something like 8,000 more civilians killed since the war end due to the estimated 300,000 tons of unexploded munitions. Probably a good portion of those are children as they like to play with UXO's and I don't think anyones kept track of how many llimbs have been hacked/blown off.

...-Gixer

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2005, 03:47:53 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
All the allies abondoned the south after the war had been won.

lazs

That's an interesting statement on history, In what year was the war won in Vietnam Lazs?

...-Gixer

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2005, 04:29:29 PM »
1975 by the Communists I thought!:confused:

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Habu you make me laugh,

The US replied with some 15.4 million tons of bombs,shells and mines (more then dropped in WW2) and killed some 2 million civilians. And there's been something like 8,000 more civilians killed since the war end due to the estimated 300,000 tons of unexploded munitions. Probably a good portion of those are children as they like to play with UXO's and I don't think anyones kept track of how many llimbs have been hacked/blown off.

...-Gixer

Gixer your shallow use of facts is amusing. The US was mostly boming targets like the Ho Chi Minh trail which was mostly empty jungle in the middle of nowhere. In WW2 the bombs almost always fell on populated cities.

To compare the two like you did just shows your ignorance of the subject.

Wow they US killed 2 million civilians did they? Care to post some reputable sources for you claims?

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2005, 05:34:37 PM »
Gixer your shallow use of facts is amusing.  

To say the least.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »
Gixer your shallow use of facts is amusing. The US was mostly boming targets like the Ho Chi Minh trail which was mostly empty jungle in the middle of nowhere. In WW2 the bombs almost always fell on populated cities.

To compare the two like you did just shows your ignorance of the subject.

Wow they US killed 2 million civilians did they? Care to post some reputable sources for you claims?

Which is more ignorant, statistics on the war or your denial? I didn't make the stats up, have a search on the web for yourself.

...-Gixer

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2005, 07:02:04 PM »
You post alot but you have little of intelligence to say.

I am reading a good first had account of the war right now. I should post some excerpts from someone who was there and saw things first hand.

Might be the closest you come to actually reading a book on the subject.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2005, 07:17:22 PM »
You post alot but you have little of intelligence to say.

I am reading a good first had account of the war right now. I should post some excerpts from someone who was there and saw things first hand.

Might be the closest you come to actually reading a book on the subject.

All I did was post the stats that all the world news agencies have been using as the offical records. If you want to believe something else that's up to you. But you can't just sit there and deny what happened, is ignorance.

...-Gixer

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2005, 07:20:37 PM »
You lost all credibility when you said the US killed 2 million civilians. Show me a credible source for that number.

I can make up total nonsense like that too.

Did you know the first microchip weighted 16 kilograms?