Author Topic: 2nd MA...Making AH enjoyable...please  (Read 426 times)

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
2nd MA...Making AH enjoyable...please
« on: May 02, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »
ok..I dont have a crappy system..but with large maps it is struggling..And..its not fun....

So..

HTC!!!!!..Please...can you guys consider. a 2nd MA..this MA..is a small map...no trees..

Because....when i am in DA..i get 70 fps...

When we have small maps..im 30-60's....FPS..

When we get large maps..i get teens to 30s....

IS there a good reason why we cant have a 2nd MA...Same as regualr MA..EXCEPT..NO large maps..NO trees...

PLease..for the love of your salary..Becuase the constant slide show in the large maps..is getting very old....

I guess it will; be a matter of cash..IS there any loss at all in this game?..Because for me..I have been dealing with trying to make it run smooth for a long time..

When we have the small maps on..its fun..playable..good FPS..
LArge mAps...makes me want to stop spending money for it

Please dotn send me to the CT...im not going to play with a limited plane set...trying to chase down score potatos

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Re: 2nd MA...Making AH enjoyable...please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 02:54:58 PM »
Originally posted by GreenCloud
ok..I dont have a crappy system..but with large maps it is struggling..And..its not fun....

So..

HTC!!!!!..Please...can you guys consider. a 2nd MA..this MA..is a small map...no trees..

Because....when i am in DA..i get 70 fps...

When we have small maps..im 30-60's....FPS..

When we get large maps..i get teens to 30s....

IS there a good reason why we cant have a 2nd MA...Same as regualr MA..EXCEPT..NO large maps..NO trees...

PLease..for the love of your salary..Becuase the constant slide show in the large maps..is getting very old....

I guess it will; be a matter of cash..IS there any loss at all in this game?..Because for me..I have been dealing with trying to make it run smooth for a long time..

When we have the small maps on..its fun..playable..good FPS..
LArge mAps...makes me want to stop spending money for it

Please dotn send me to the CT...im not going to play with a limited plane set...trying to chase down score potatos

You could always drop $40 on some more memory to get around the troubles with map size. As far as crowding affecting the framerate maybe try the CT.

-p.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: 2nd MA...Making AH enjoyable...please
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 03:18:14 PM »
Originally posted by pellik
You could always drop $40 on some more memory to get around the troubles with map size. As far as crowding affecting the framerate maybe try the CT.

-p.

Can you get me some of that 40$ memory too, please?  And then some more after the next update?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 03:18:38 PM »
One little trick you can do is to zoom the clipboard at max it can give you some FPS

I've a setup not far from your, Barton2500 (running at 1.8) 1go Memory and a 9600 256Mo and I don't have fps lower than 30 on huge map except over smoking fields and larges furball.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:29:57 PM »
i seem to have plenty of memory..my slots are filled

Pellik...I now stay away from the 3 DAR BAR sectr..(which I love) but my frames get slowww....Im not going to CT unless the planes I liek are there..I have been in CT a few tiems...I dont liek having real disadvatged planes..then have to chase soem score potato who doesnt want to die....Thats not fun for a LARGE percent of people here..thats why CT is empty...

around buffs...i get slide show ...seesm more for the b-24s than other bombers..I guess cause its a new model?

Just seems soem small maps ,,desert map ..no trees..woudl have a greta effect on fps..

Why Do i get such large changes in FPS from small to Big maps?

in DA..i see 70s,,im love it

It is just frustrating to get diff FPS on diff maps...

I wont even start with the warp stuff in furballs..I have Dial up...and im thankful for the decent game play i get with it...(only thing I can get)

Small maps seem to play much bettr....An it seems to me we have quit a few here who suffer from Lo FPS..which really ruisn the game

Wouldnt a Small MAp MA be SWEET!!??

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 01:52:32 PM »
Huh, I always found that memory was the thing most effected by the large maps. It's too bad you have enough, as a total system overhaul is the next step.

As for the cheap memory, I usually find the best deals through pricewatch.com.

-p.

Offline buzkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 04:00:58 PM »
more cpu would help.....i had amd xp2400+ at first and it just wasn't enough for a cpu hungry game like AHII...went 64 bit athlon 3400+ and msi k8tneo mobo and problem solved for about $240

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 06:35:06 PM »
Its all a matter of balance.  I have an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB of memory and an FX5900 video card, I seldom see anything below 40 fps with all the sliders ingame at the halfway mark.  Most of the time I'm in the air, I run 65-80 fps.  The XP series processors are more than powerful enough.  I dont expect to be able to crank all the settings to max, but even the Athlon 64s cant do that with impunity.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 08:20:40 AM »
Memory doesnt help FPS.
I just upgraded from 512 to a full gig for exactly that reason and it did nada for my framrates.

Also upgraded from a Vid card with 128 memory to 256 with the same results with the exeption of I can run animated water but dont because I find it too distracting

It was explained to me that memory usually wont help your FPS as AH is CPU intencive and not memory or graphics card intencive.

I've found the best way to improve FPS is through the sliders which I sometimes adjust on a nightly basis depending on what Im doing. And how the game is performing that particular night
I'll set it one way if Im GVing, another way if Im furballing.

also I find some of (but not all) of the aftermarket sounds can effect game performance

Another thing you can do, and should be doing anyway.  
   Is open your case and check for dust. you would be amazed how much dust gets inside these things even after only a month or two.
Recently discovered when dusting its best to remove the fan from the heatsink on the CPU as dust builds up there and doesnt get blown out easily if at all with it on.
Almost roasted my CPU because of this.

Dust causes the system to retain and buid up heat which will in turn degrade system performance.

And lastly, whenever a new version  of AH comes out I manually uninstall AH then reinstall it fresh.
By Manually, I mean instead of using the "uninstall" utility. Go into windows and find the AH files and manually delete them.
I find doing it this way eliminates the stutters and sometimes the VOX related freezes that some folks report. And simply using the uninstall utility does nothing.

Anyway, these are the things that work for me.
Hope they help

The best "Bang for thre buck" for AH seems to be the CPU which is what Im planning on doing in the very near future.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 08:24:04 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty