Author Topic: Is Blair going to win it three straight?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline bob149

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
Is Blair going to win it three straight?
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2005, 06:21:39 AM »
How much bigger can the taxes get ?
Looks like im staying out here for quite soem time ....oh well :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2005, 06:56:35 AM »
Originally posted by -dead-
And the fact that George Galloway got elected, beating a Labour candidate is an interesting comment on the Iraq issue.

Originally posted by Momus--
He was very clever if not cynical in the consituency he chose to contest, Bow and Bethnal Green in East London. Large muslim population,... He will have attracted a huge anti-war vote and no doubt some votes from the more fundamentalist Muslims in the area who had a problem with a woman representing them.

So the interesting comment on the Iraq issue is that Galloway was able to swing Muslim voters away from Tony Blair because of the Iraq war and because male fundamentalist  Muslims don't care to have a woman represent them.

My what an interesting comment. Who'd have thought Muslims wouldn't support Blair's party? Will wonders never cease?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2005, 07:01:37 AM »
Actually Toad, I think you'll find plenty of British muslims voted Labour despite the war.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2005, 07:02:57 AM »
Originally posted by -dead-
It's all to do with the dreadful excuse for a democracy that a first-past-the-post system is.
[/b]

As opposed to the shining democratic example set by China, I'm sure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2005, 07:50:24 AM »
Originally posted by Naso
I suggest you to try the typical South Italian public hospital.

Paying-Free, MRSA-free, and, if you dont like the food, you can chase and eat the rats living under you bed....

A real paradise.

:D

man I hope you are kidding

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2005, 07:52:42 AM »
Originally posted by wipass

The bubble will burst and quite soon too,

Roll on the next election when Labour will be thrown out
Yes, that's entirely possible now. Who knows, we might find ourselves living in a democracy once more. I hear there's talk in the City that Gordon's going to have his hands tied with regard to tax increases.

I agree about the bubble bursting, especially as more people find that inheritance tax will be payable on their legacies - even owners of former council houses will be caught.

OK, so Howard is standing down - who will replace him? Letwin? Davis? They need a younger guy than Howard - someone in his 40s.

Useful election analysis tool: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/constituencies/default.stm

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2005, 08:00:30 AM »
Originally posted by Swoop
See now, I would disagree with that statement.

I'm not racist in any way (except towards the Dutch but then they're aliens anyway so it's better described as speciesist) and don't see much of a difference between a Somalian freeloader and a Turkish freeloader.

A scumbag freeloading robbing bastard is a scumbag freeloading robbing bastard no matter what colour his skin.

More scumbag freeloading ENGLISH bastards in the Uk than any other type in my experience.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2005, 08:08:09 AM »
gixer... of course you could point to washington on a map... it is an important place.

There would be no point in teaching anyone where NZ is tho.   If we ever want to go on vacation there and scuba dive or such... the travel agent will get us there.

lazs

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2005, 09:23:07 AM »
Gixer I can find NZ on a map.

I was taught to just imagine Austraila having a poo. The **** is NZ!

See how easy that is to remember?

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2005, 09:24:17 AM »
Circumventing the language filter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 02:11:09 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2005, 10:12:08 AM »
Originally posted by Pei
...impression that in the US people really really believe in George Bush, whereas in the UK and Aus it's more a case of there being no viable opposition.

Same thing here my friend.  We had no viable option either.  Everyone seems to think, not only abroad but here, that it was a bunch of religious fanatics that voted Bush back in.  Um, no, it was regular people who didn’t like the liberal propaganda being shoved down their throat that made a decision between what was know and the definite unknown.

I watched the documentary about Air America the other day… they instantly jumped to the “how stupid these religious nuts are”.  I’m neither religious or a nut and Kerry had my vote until he actually started speaking.

Which I believe was the thinking behind most people in the US.  Given the lack of any viable alternative; best to stay with what you know.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
Oh, and congrats to Mr. Blair!

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2005, 10:40:13 AM »

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Toad

As opposed to the shining democratic example set by China, I'm sure. [/B]
Well I'm not really all that sure I see the fundamental difference between having a government most people didn't vote for and having a government most people didn't vote for. ;)
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »
Originally posted by Krusher
man I hope you are kidding

Not completely.

:(

It's a long story, but seem that things are going gradually better, gradually as in nano-steps.

But, mind you, there are bubbles of excellence here and there, in a sea of escrements.