Author Topic: Is Blair going to win it three straight?  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Is Blair going to win it three straight?
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2005, 12:47:37 PM »
Originally posted by Momus--
Further than that, you'll have to ask someone who actually thinks that Tony is George's lapdog to elaborate.

Doesn't seem to be a serious shortage of those on this BBS. I'm sure one will chime in soon enough.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2005, 01:48:17 PM »
Toad, even I laugh when I think of people re-electing Blair.  However, I also laughed when the US re-elected that clown Bush.  What suckers for electing a muppet!
NEXX

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »
View it as you may, you must agree that this has become a case of people who live in glass houses throwing stones.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2005, 02:03:46 PM »
All I know is that not one single political party represents anything I believe in.  For this reason I think this years General Election will be one of the lowest turnouts in history.

For some people they are scared of change.  Some people have bad memories of the Conservatives and that means they will never vote for them however how much they hate Blair.  The Liberal party are simply living on cloud cuckoo land so those that vote for them are people that don't really understand politics.  Desperate times indeed!
NEXX

storch

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Do you think Toad understands that Electoral systems are different all over Europe?  This is the UK. This Euro label thing is as daft as the people who keep using it!

oh wait now I'm confused, first france gets a king and now EU stands for english union?  all this time I thought that EU stood for european (dis)union.  where have I gone wrong here?

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2005, 03:22:47 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Remembering the commentary from our election, the reversal here is just too funny. IMO, of course.

Not quite as most Britains could point to Washington on a world map, big difference.

...-Gixer

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2005, 03:38:53 PM »
Yep, they don't even sell world maps in the US.

You found us all out....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 04:00:29 PM by Toad »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2005, 03:59:36 PM »
Originally posted by storch
oh wait now I'm confused, first france gets a king and now EU stands for english union?  all this time I thought that EU stood for european (dis)union.  where have I gone wrong here?

We still have a king ... dead and six feet under :D

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2005, 04:55:34 PM »
This is getting a little surreal. Dead Kings, Poodles and lap dogs! Wierd!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »
Well - the exit poll predicts a Labour majority of 66. But the tories are reportedly cutting deep into their list of Labour targets.

The best thing about UK elections? - Peter Snow and the "swingometer"! I love that guy. :D He used his swingometer in his coverage of the US election too.

For more coverage, check http://www.bbc.co.uk/election2005

I'm going to be sipping wine/beer for the next few hours...

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2005, 07:29:05 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
Not quite as most Britains could point to Washington on a world map, big difference.

...-Gixer

Oh yeah? Well, I can find Washington on a map just fine fella! It's right above Oregon!! :mad:

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »
View it as you may, you must agree that this has become a case of people who live in glass houses throwing stones.

The same could also be said of the re-election of John Howard down here. Having said that there is always the impression that in the US people really really believe in George Bush, whereas in the UK and Aus it's more a case of there being no viable opposition.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2005, 07:54:54 PM »
Originally posted by Pei
Having said that there is always the impression that in the US people really really believe in George Bush, whereas in the UK and Aus it's more a case of there being no viable opposition.

There may be that impression but anyone reading this BBS should, if they have the least bit of reading comprehension, remember that a very large number (dare I say majority) of US posters during our last election said that very same thing. Something like "No viable opposition" was a common sentiment.

Still, I greatly enjoy watching those who slammed the US during our election try to explain the re-election (by theorhetically far more sophisticated and knowledgeable voters) of Bush's Poodles-round-the-world.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2005, 08:35:06 PM »
There may be that impression but anyone reading this BBS should, if they have the least bit of reading comprehension, remember that a very large number (dare I say majority) of US posters during our last election said that very same thing. Something like "No viable opposition" was a common sentiment.

Still, I greatly enjoy watching those who slammed the US during our election try to explain the re-election (by theorhetically far more sophisticated and knowledgeable voters) of Bush's Poodles-round-the-world.

Note the word "impression", then apply reading comprehension (this seems to be the latest fad on this BBS :)). The impression comes more from the contrast between non-US folk and US folk on this BBS: there are a number of people on this board who believe Bush can do no wrong and vociferously attack anyone who suggests otherwise: there are virtually no non-US people who support their own leaders in such a manner, and certainly no-one who supports Blair or Howard that way.

As to more sophisticated anyone who has experiencec the British or Australian public in one thier periodic fits of moral outrage over the latest media-hyped problem (alco-pops, yobs, laddettess, dead-beat dads etc.) can put pay to that.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »
For the record, I'm an American..

..and I think Bush is a pin-headed dolt, wearing the mantle and title of the biggest pin-headed dolt in a big city filled with also-ran pinheads that governs the most powerful nation of politically inept, morally bankrupt dolts on this sorry assed planet.

Now here's a clue for the folks from underdeveloped third world locations like Western & Eastern Europe, Trans-Siberia , Asia, the Middle East and those lil commonwealth communes in the Western Pacific that think Bush The Pin-Head is our[/i] problem... There's every indication that for another few years he's gonna continue to be a world class pin-headed dolt; and may I remind all the worlds jealous non-pinhead citizens that since he IS a pin-headed dolt you might do well not pissing him (or the rest of us dolts) off, because pin-headed dolts when aggravated or distracted often play with shiny buttons and other objects that light up the big maps of distant lands in bad ways when they are pressed.

...which I suspect is why the resta us pinheads elected him.

So, kindly refrain from kicking the pin-heads at least untill the current dolt is outta reach of the buttons, or the wanna-be-kewl nations of the world just might get a chance to join the Japanese in discovering just how groovy mushrooms that glow in the dark really are.

Sleep Tight Citizens of the World! America is watching![/i] (& waiting for a clear shot)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.