Author Topic: Dusty Trails in AH...why not?  (Read 3895 times)

Rojo

Dusty Trails in AH...why not?
« on: October 16, 2000, 03:10:00 PM »
With the new terrains being created, with custom texture files, seeing tanks against the background may become next to impossible.  As an example, I saw a desert terrain texture map that would render the Panzer and the Osty invisible, or nearly so.  What's the answer? Rooster-tails, i.e. the dust cloud kicked up by moving tracks on all but the wettest ground.

My proposal is this: The dark tan dust trail would only show up if the vehicle was moving...otherwise it dissipates rapidly.  I may be mistaken (happened once before, when I thought I'd made a mistake, but hadn't), but this should be a snap to implement.  We already display graphically oil leaks and such for aircraft; this would use the same rendering, but with a different color.  This causes little to no framerate hit now, and the only trick would be to allow it to start and stop when ever the vehicle did.  Plus the panoramic view of massed vehicles trundling over the land trailing long fingers of dust behind would look soooooo cool!  How about it, HTC?  This ought to be so easy (heard that before, haven't you   ), it could be implemented in the next little patch.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

[This message has been edited by Rojo (edited 10-16-2000).]

eskimo

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
I have thought about this also and agree.
Under 10 mph should create no dust, however.

eskimo

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2000, 06:58:00 PM »

Originally posted by Rojo:
With the new terrains being created, with custom texture files, seeing tanks against the background may become next to impossible.  As an example, I saw a desert terrain texture map that would render the Panzer and the Osty invisible, or nearly so.  What's the answer? Rooster-tails, i.e. the dust cloud kicked up by moving tracks on all but the wettest ground.

My proposal is this: The dark tan dust trail would only show up if the vehicle was moving...otherwise it dissipates rapidly.  I may be mistaken (happened once before, when I thought I'd made a mistake, but hadn't), but this should be a snap to implement.  We already display graphically oil leaks and such for aircraft; this would use the same rendering, but with a different color.  This causes little to no framerate hit now, and the only trick would be to allow it to start and stop when ever the vehicle did.  Plus the panoramic view of massed vehicles trundling over the land trailing long fingers of dust behind would look soooooo cool!  How about it, HTC?  This ought to be so easy (heard that before, haven't you    ), it could be implemented in the next little patch.

I doubt a dust colored dust trail will make spotting panzers any easier. The cloud wouldn't be much taller or longer then the tank, and it's usually very thin unless on powdery surfaces. Watched alot of WWII footage of US and German armor coloums, the only time they threw up alot of dirt was when traveling down dry dusty roads and desert roads.

- Jig

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
Re: Dusty Trails in AH...why not?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »
Oops.

Please disregard.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:55:45 PM by Tordon22 »

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
I think I am funny, therefore I am.

Not.

Maybe Skuzzy will ban you too.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
Not.

Maybe Skuzzy will ban you too.

For what?

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
For what?

Rule 10 would fit this particular instance well and if he has (I don't know either way) multiple offenses.. then the Hammer could be brought out. Let's face it, even if it's a decent thought, the thread is so old, it's mostly filled with inaccurate information, or trying to resolve issues already resolved in a different manner.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Rule 10 would fit this particular instance well and if he has (I don't know either way) multiple offenses.. then the Hammer could be brought out. Let's face it, even if it's a decent thought, the thread is so old, it's mostly filled with inaccurate information, or trying to resolve issues already resolved in a different manner.

Does it really matter?

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
Does it really matter?

You asked a question, I gave an answer. It mattered, obviously, to both of us because we both put time into reading and then answering... So many people these days ask questions and when presented with an unexpected, or disagreeable answer, they resort not to accepting it for what it is; an answer, but instead, try to minimize and trivialize it.

If I thought he needed to be banned, I'd say so. I just think this thread should be locked because of the reasons I stated (age, accuracy), not because of anything more.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
How is it even possible to care about something so trivial such as to respond like you are the white house press secretary lol.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »
How is it even possible to care about something so trivial such as to respond like you are the white house press secretary lol.

:rofl
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."