Author Topic: Acoustics  (Read 587 times)

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Acoustics
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 09:53:39 PM »
It's between Taylor and Breed Love now. Decisions, decisions.

I was able to play one of the high end BreedLove guitars at a local shop today, and it had a very nice sound.I friend of mine owns a Taylor and it also has great sound

It seems tho that Taylor has less action than Breedlove, it doesn't make a huge difference, but makes it all that much easier and enjoyable to play.

Still not sure what I'm going to get.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Acoustics
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »
for acoustic guitars it is all about the sound.

don't listen to anything someone says about the looks or brand or whatever.

if you are the one playing it, it needs to sound how you want it to.

i have played a $150 off brand that sounded heavier (as in more bass and more clean mids) than a $3500 gibson acoustic.

with your eyes closed have someone somewhat skilled play each guitar, and choose which sounds best. do the same yourself. play it eyes closed, and see which sounds better.

also, dont forget to notice how much different it sounds when you are playing it, and your are listening to it being played.

also what are the end uses of this guitar? plucking around, and general sitting by a campfire maybe with a friend? or playing serious, possibly recording some of the work?

you need very different guitars for each. if you plan on any recording, get a "duller" or more bassy guitar wiht crisp mids. the highs will naturally come on recording especially depending on where you put the mic. thick solid lows on the otherhand can not be faked by a mic.

think of it like this. mic near the neck / soundhole will pick up the mids, and the highs from the neck, but the bass will be soft. normally too soft. think 80's glam rock ballads, tinny bright acoustics. mic near the bridge, and the butt of the guitar gets the mids and bass better, but on a crummy guitar the bass sounds muddy and droning.

some of the best acoustic recordings are country music. listen to somethign you like, and find out what it was recorded with. generally it will be a $2500 + guitar, but pick up and play one. then go looking for a similar sound from something less. it can be done rather easily.

hope that helps
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 09:57:22 AM by JB73 »
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Acoustics
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

I've had one of these for a few years a Takamine EC132SC.  One of my better purchases.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Acoustics
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »
Very good advice JB, try them all...tastes in guitars are extremely subjective. More often than not when the right one is in your hands you will know it.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
Acoustics
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005, 04:59:41 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin

I've had one of these for a few years a Takamine EC132SC.  One of my better purchases.

That would be a classical guitar Holden. I already have one with neilon strings. Thanks tho.

JB, yah I am very picky about the sound of my guitars. I've been playing with a bunch of my friends, but the one I've had is pretty junky. I've had it since I first started, and I think I've out grown it.

Anyhow, we've started to created what seems to be a band with the exception of a drummer. So the rock'ish stuff will have to wait.

I really like to play acoustic songs and just jam with my friends, so it's pretty important to me. The search continues. going down to the local store today to see what I can find.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Acoustics
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2005, 05:32:10 PM »
My favorite for acoustic guitars.

Washburn
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Acoustics
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 07:18:31 PM »
You don't play with a pick do you XtremJ?  

I chord strum with my classical and my fingers as well as finger picking classical and flamenco stuff.  

If you going to use picks, use three and play one of these.  
I had this for a decade or so before I bought my guitar.  I bought the guitar with the expressed purpose of forcing myself to read music instead of using tablature.

Then I was given a book of classical tablature....
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Acoustics
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 07:57:36 PM »
Originally posted by Lazerus
Mathiason Guitars

Send me a set of this and a top and I'll hook ya up :D

You build guitars Lazerus?  (Dumb question yes)

Are those guitar kits or just bundles of wood that you recieve in the mail and go from scratch?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Acoustics
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 08:12:17 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
I bought the guitar with the expressed purpose of forcing myself to read music instead of using tablature.

Then I was given a book of classical tablature....

lol, I hear ya, learned from a friend and tab, not one music class. That being said, I wish I had taken music lessons.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)