Author Topic: Aces High vs Pacific Fighters?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Aces High vs Pacific Fighters?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 03:06:39 AM »
the il2 series is great for ofline, but it takes a super system to play it online, the view system stinks, and its not getting updated like a mmog does, it gets patches every now and then, but i dont see the dedication to making it better, i hope battle of britain will be better online, i hear it will also support track ir vector.

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 03:03:12 PM »
Dug out Pacific Fighters while AH is having the server changing problems.  Still having problems getting the views down, I much prefer the AH view system.
Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread about customizing the views.  Is that the views in AH or PF?  I know how to do it in AH, but I'm clueless as to how to go about it in PF.  For me, that is the most frustrating part of PF - trying to get used to the view system.  I know from some of the movies that have been posted on-line that people have made in IL2-FB-PF that they get some really good looking views going on, but I suspect they must be using TrackIR to get them that good.

Another question:  in PF, is there something like the "backspacce" key in AH that allows you to choose weapons, drop tanks,etc?  Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

If we could get the eye candy of IL2-FB-PF with the playability of Aces High, wouldn't that be a sweet flight sim!

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 05:59:31 PM »
Think you should find a "IL2-FB-PF" message board and ask for help there. Just MHO. ;)

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 06:09:57 PM »
Crimson Skies beats both:D

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 06:46:17 PM »
I don't have a reliable internet connection here at school, so I play IL2/PF daily.

I use the dynamic campaign generator and I'm happy with it. Immersion is all how you make it. I have no outside views, changed the icons to just distance locators, no map minipath or display of friend/foe, and so on.

The truth is that I enjoy it just as much as I did with AH, if not better. Squaddies listen, fly in formation, theres no ******s going around porking bases with a suicide Tempest or low-level B-17s on GVs. Its all approached in a very war-like way. 109s fight P-51s and Yaks, Zeros fight Corsairs, and so on. Thats my immersion.

I recommend scouting downloads to increase the immersion, such as user-made missions, skins, etc. There are even some mini-mods (Stab is named one of them) which replaces the skins, missions, and everything else to make you feel like you're there. (They put swastikas on the German planes even.)

Personally, I wish I could get Aces of the Pacific working on my computer. Now THAT was immersive.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 06:47:42 PM »
This cockpit looks better than the Spit cockpit I remember seeing in Il-2:

If anybody can post a contrasting image it'd be interesting to see.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 07:19:57 PM »
Not much difference

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Not much difference

i like this one better..... and the beaches... and the sky..

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 07:46:19 PM »
THAT is a beach. Imagine LVTS rolling on it.

Played IL2 a bit....went crazy after 1 hour, the views killed me.

Tried every move I knew in AH atm, and the bots are unshakable whatever you plane is, its the paradise of the runner.

The plane feels slugish and lighthanded (whatever that meant), but the engine details are worth the comment :)

Gunnery is pretty fustrating when you fly AH mostly, but with some training I think you can make some pretty goose shots (lol) and maybe more realistic (pilot kill at d800?), and seeing all those parts fall of the plane is sooo good :O .

What is nice in AH is that you actually have to read your indicators :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 07:48:36 PM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Swarmed

• Copper Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/kazuoson
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2005, 08:13:23 PM »
Turn off the digital stuff in IL2 except nav, and use the gauges. That's what I do.

And I have to agree, IL2 looks great, is fun to fly (views no prob for me), and the hit sprite with .50cal look awesome.

I like to play IL2 before I play AH because it makes my AH gunnery better.

Two good games, for different reasons.:)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 08:25:42 PM »
I could never read the guages in IL2.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 08:41:48 PM »

Then compare this...

Opppssss.... wrong era.:huh

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »
Originally posted by o0Stream140o
Then compare this...

Opppssss.... wrong era.:huh

A-10 from Lock On:D got it a few days ago still learning the ropes but its alot of fun, but HARD.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 10:08:55 PM »
IL2 view system sucks, and I can say from personal experience that it's far more restrictive than in a real ww2 plane in flight even when tightly strappred in for aerobatics to say nothing of when you loosen the shoulder straps.

Use the 6 view button in AH to look back, just like you can in real WW2 fighters.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 10:16:58 PM »
Personally I hate trim. I know it is realistic. But you never know if its your stick acting up(even though I have digital, it is carried over from those old analogs that would lose center everday) In Il2 I spend 90% worrying about trim, and everytime I get a shot oppurtunity and unload, trim yanks my nose way off target. Do you think about trim when driving your car? no, and I am sure in the air it is just as an unconcious act.
 2nd the view system in IL2 sucks, very much bad.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!