Author Topic: American Tanks (Sherman) vs Japanese Tanks  (Read 405 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
American Tanks (Sherman) vs Japanese Tanks
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:51:47 AM »
The Sherman sucked really bad (in terms of casualties) in Europe but did the Sherman equal the Japanese Tanks in battle?

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:21:25 AM »
The various japanese tanks (with one exception) were very lightly armed and armored.  They didn't stand a chance against the shermans used by the USA or USMC.

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:24:54 AM »
as far as i know it dominated against the Japanese tanks.  Most, to me, seemed to be made of scrape metal.  

http://www.geocities.com/erikgrowen/Type_95_Ha_Go_Light_Tank_2.jpg

Looks almost like a can of tomato soup with an artillery piece added to it.  If im wrong, just let me know!:aok

Egle31st
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 01:16:11 PM »
The Japanese put their resources in aircraft and ships.  They didn't start trying to make a "real" tank until they were facing the probability of a large land war defending the home islands.

Their tanks were all infantry support vehicles intended for combat against other Asian countries.

Interestingly though, the largest tank offensive in the Pacific Campain was by the Japanese against US forces.  It didn't succeed, but it did take us by surprise and punch a good ways into our lines.

Don't think this means US tanks had free ranging opportunities against the Japanese.  They did have real anti-tank guns.  For example, every tank we landed on Okinawa was knocked out before the battle was over, IIRC.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:19:24 PM »
Japanese tanks were not competitive with US tanks. There were some documented instances of hvy mg bullets penetrating the armor of Japanese tanks.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:53:22 PM »
Japanese tanks were far superior to anything the Americans had, those Tiger tanks were awesome the T-34's didnt stand a chance.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 02:05:01 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
Japanese tanks were far superior to anything the Americans had, those Tiger tanks were awesome the T-34's didnt stand a chance.

proof?:D