Author Topic: 60 second rule  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
60 second rule
« on: May 23, 2005, 06:34:42 PM »
Let's get this one clarified. I got called on this a few times during KOTH the other night and I think it is nonsense if there are more than 2 planes airborne.

Reason: I like to BnZ and I fight best that way. Why should I be forced into a turn-fight with someone just because they think they want to shoot at me? If I see two other planes 4K away from me, and someone gets on my 6 at 1.2K and calls out "I'm engaging you Midnight", there is no way I am going to turn to fight unless the bandit is getting close enough to shoot. I want to be able to make sure I have E to fight my fight, rather than get in a turn fight with whomever and then find that the bandits that were once at 4K are now flying right at me while I am distracted in a turn fight.

Anyway, my opinion is no 60 second rule until the fight is down to the last 2 planes, and even then I don't like it because of Fuel requirements. Some people like to take the bare minimum of fuel so they can have a maneuvering advantage, so by Forcing the 60 second rule, you are forcing a guy that might be disadvantaged by fuel weight to get into a turn-fight with a lighter plane.

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
60 second rule
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 06:56:37 PM »
well said. that 2 for getting rid of it and zero against.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
60 second rule
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:04:02 PM »
Question#1- did BigMax not host the KOTH last Saturday night? if not who did host it?

Question#2-  only time I ever recall anyone having issues with the 60 second rule was a debate involving  Lute and ManeTMP,  that has been a good 4 or 5 months back, most times the 60 second rule has never had any negative results.

Question#3- why did Valkyrie say" If WMLute and fuzeman have their way about the rules" in that other thread? are WMLute and Fuzeman new KOTH CM hosters?

Midnight, hope this issue gets resolved for ya,  sounds like you got suckered into the 60 second rule, and taken advantage of, but  a film would be helpful in resolving what happened or what might have been a wrong call or maybe went wrong......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
60 second rule
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »
TC if you read their post or talk with them it sounds as though they are the ones doing the new rules. They are becoming CM's through training and I assumed it was for KOTH. Fuzeman said it was a pain.

Vlkyrie1

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
60 second rule
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:18:24 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
Question#1- did BigMax not host the KOTH last Saturday night? if not who did host it?

Question#2-  only time I ever recall anyone having issues with the 60 second rule was a debate involving  Lute and ManeTMP,  that has been a good 4 or 5 months back, most times the 60 second rule has never had any negative results.

Question#3- why did Valkyrie say" If WMLute and fuzeman have their way about the rules" in that other thread? are WMLute and Fuzeman new KOTH CM hosters?

Midnight, hope this issue gets resolved for ya,  sounds like you got suckered into the 60 second rule, and taken advantage of, but  a film would be helpful in resolving what happened or what might have been a wrong call or maybe went wrong......

1. BigMax was the host last KOTH.  Fuzeman and myself were host's in training.

2.  The 60 second rule generally has not been much of an issue.  Most people understand that the KOTH is about fighting.  It is about Situational Awarness, and position.  IF you suddenly find someone 1.2 out on your 6, then you just found yourself out of position, and lacked SA.  KOTH is about the "whole" picture.  IF you have someone 1.2 out on your 6, and you are not wanting to fight, you have 60 seconds to build up your E, get a better position whatever.  AFTER 60 seconds has passed, you MUST turn and fight.  Now the rule was clarified by BigMax
* What starts the 60 second clock? A player chasing another from the rear hemisphere (in ICON range) and stating his intent to engage on TEXT CHANNEL(2 or 200) (the text will allow me, as CM to have an idea when the intent was stated)
*What resets the counter? The running player in the aforementioned example could opt to try and establish seperation again "IF" he makes a reversal and passes within 1000' of the pursuer. (I think this is the best way to word this so-as to allow both players the flexibility to fight their fight.

The bottom line is after 60 seconds has pass, you HAVE to reverse.  That doesn't mean you have to start knife fighting.

3.  Yes TC, Fuzeman and myself will be shortly taking over for BigMax.  BigMax has decided to step down as the KOTH head CM, and we all need to thank and him for a wonderfuly fun two years of awesome King of the Hill fights.

Originally posted by Midnight
Let's get this one clarified. I got called on this a few times during KOTH the other night and I think it is nonsense if there are more than 2 planes airborne.

Reason: I like to BnZ and I fight best that way. Why should I be forced into a turn-fight with someone just because they think they want to shoot at me? If I see two other planes 4K away from me, and someone gets on my 6 at 1.2K and calls out "I'm engaging you Midnight", there is no way I am going to turn to fight unless the bandit is getting close enough to shoot. I want to be able to make sure I have E to fight my fight, rather than get in a turn fight with whomever and then find that the bandits that were once at 4K are now flying right at me while I am distracted in a turn fight.

Anyway, my opinion is no 60 second rule until the fight is down to the last 2 planes, and even then I don't like it because of Fuel requirements. Some people like to take the bare minimum of fuel so they can have a maneuvering advantage, so by Forcing the 60 second rule, you are forcing a guy that might be disadvantaged by fuel weight to get into a turn-fight with a lighter plane.

Midnight, it IS clarified.  I totally understand what you are saying.  As I posted above, you don't have to suddenly start turning and burning.  You can build E and position for 60 seconds, reverse, pass within 1k of your opponent, and that resets the 60 second clock.  You can drag that enemy over to them 4k players, reverse, and try to get THEM to fight.  When you reverse after 60 seconds, and find those two 4k cons have finished their fight, and the winner is flying towards you, you can use the 60 second rule to try and position THEM into fighting the guy on your six.  I've seen it done (and done it) many times.  Trust me, it's quite do-able, and I have witnessed many players using the 60sec rule to do exactly that.  Nobody is forcing anybody to fly a certain style.

BUT to be clear here, KOTH is not about avoiding all fights except the ones you want.  KOTH is about fighting.  Period.  You can fly smart, knife fight, angle fight, and b/z to your hearts content.  If you have decided to ONLY b/z, then ya' better keep up your SA, and work real hard on learning how to position the other players so you have the luxury to do so, BUT ya' gota do it within the rules.

About fuel.  Take whatever fuel load you want.  But it has been my experience in the past 2yrs of flying basically every USA and EURO Koth that the fights will last 15-20min.  I almost always try and take roughly 20min of fuel, as I plan on being the last guy up.  If a player decides to go light on fuel, say 10min, they will have an advantage for that 10min over their opponents.  The problem though is they have absolutely no chance of winning the round.  They will run out of fuel well before the fights are over.  So again, it's the players choice, but if you want to win the round, you need to plan to have enough fuel to LAST to the end of the round.

Originally posted by Valkyrie
well said. that 2 for getting rid of it and zero against.

This rule is not going to change.  Fuzeman and I might tweak it, but I doubt it.  Not sure how Fuzeman feels, but I think BigMax has set it up just about right.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 03:27:14 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
60 second rule
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 10:43:42 AM »
well said lute.

people who complain about the 60 seconds and alt cap. do not understand the "spirit" of KOTH.

Koth is not about creating a "mini" MA. its for people who enjoy the fight itself and not racking up easy kills ala BnZ style.

heck, if it was up to me we would have a alt cap of like 4k and maybe 3 seconds to engage :D

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
60 second rule
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 11:05:44 AM »
Originally posted by Valkyrie
Fuzeman said it was a pain.
Vlkyrie1

MrS-Vlkyrie1 the 'pain' is really dealing with players who blatently say 'I have no respect for that rule.' Ring a bell??
Another thing MrS-Vlkyrie1, DO NOT private message us in the other arenas reagarding this matter, THIS is the place for the discussion.
Personally, if I get any private messages regarding this matter when I'm flying, whomever send it is going to get squelched and not answered.

{ Yikes, I forgot to tell The Boss I got a second job. }
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
60 second rule
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 12:00:08 PM »
WMLute

I understand what is being said, but then what range is considered a breaking off of the 60 second rule?

Example - I pass another plane (nose to nose, head on, co-E) heading to what I see as a 4 man fight about 6 or 7K away. The plane I just passed reverses and tries to get on my six. As soon as he completes the 180 degree turn, he calls out "I am engaging you Midnight, you have to turn" By the time he completes the turn, he is 1.2K away and fading (due to lost E in his turn). I know that he cannot build speed to catch me, so I continue to my original destination.

OK, so I keep pulling away from the guy and get over 2K away from him... does that break the 60 second clock? If no, what range would? 3K, 4k? There has to be a feasible engagement limit.

--- edit ---

And to those who say KOTH is all about fighting, I agree. However, picking the order in which you fight is not against the rules. I try to determine where the biggest threats are and try to engage them first and don't want to have to engage someone I percieve to be inexperinced or a newbie. If I see ManeTMP and some guy named L33TOnE, I am going to try to setup an attack on Mane to fight him, regardless of what L33TOnE thinks about engaging me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 12:07:40 PM by Midnight »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
60 second rule
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 03:00:10 PM »
WMLute

I understand what is being said, but then what range is considered a breaking off of the 60 second rule?

Example - I pass another plane (nose to nose, head on, co-E) heading to what I see as a 4 man fight about 6 or 7K away. The plane I just passed reverses and tries to get on my six. As soon as he completes the 180 degree turn, he calls out "I am engaging you Midnight, you have to turn" By the time he completes the turn, he is 1.2K away and fading (due to lost E in his turn). I know that he cannot build speed to catch me, so I continue to my original destination.

OK, so I keep pulling away from the guy and get over 2K away from him... does that break the 60 second clock? If no, what range would? 3K, 4k? There has to be a feasible engagement limit.

--- edit ---

And to those who say KOTH is all about fighting, I agree. However, picking the order in which you fight is not against the rules. I try to determine where the biggest threats are and try to engage them first and don't want to have to engage someone I percieve to be inexperinced or a newbie. If I see ManeTMP and some guy named L33TOnE, I am going to try to setup an attack on Mane to fight him, regardless of what L33TOnE thinks about engaging me.

excellent questions.  I would ref. you a few posts down to this thread
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149064
"The Hovering Non Fighting KOTH Vulchers" where I asked some similar questions, and made some similar points.

ManeTMP, BigMax, and I have gone around and around re. the 60 second rule.  In one instance, I merged with ManeTMP, and he dove out.  I had an Alt/E advantage from the merge, and so I kept up with him.  I was now 1-2k back, and say maybe 2-3k higher(ish, I have slept since then) and he was slowly pulling away in a gentle dive.  So we fly like this for a min, then 2, then 5, the whole time arguing over the country channel.  Per. the KOTH rules, he HAD to turn at 60 seconds.  Could I have have blown my alt/e and caught up with Mane?  Yup.  That was what he wanted me to do.  He wanted me to fight "his" fight.  Did he have to turn after 60 seconds passed and come back at me?  Yup.  That was what I wanted him to do so he would have to fight "my" fight.  

Mane felt that I should have dove in, converting my alt to speed and attacked him, and by not doing so that I was avoiding the fight.  What it all boiled down to after much "discussion" was this.  Mane had to turn.  Too bad that I had the advantage, but he had to turn.  You can run in KOTH, but only for 60 seconds.  If that means you have to reverse into a situation where you are at a disadvantage, then so be it, you gota reverse.  

When you passed that con nose to nose co-E the fight was "on" at that point.  You merged.  You are then fighting.  You can choose to extend for up to 60seconds.  Distances are not relative at this point.  You just merged with a guy, you two are fighting.  Just because he reversed and you didn't doesn't mean that you are not in a fight.  You just chose to extend, he chose to reverse.  You have 60 seconds to position yourself in any way you choose.  You can extend, climb, zero G dive what ever.  BUT you have to reverese within' 60 seconds.

If you pass someone co E like that, and neither of you break, turn, reverse etc, then IMHO u2 are not in a fight, and there is no 60 seconds rule.  I have seen this happen as well.  You don't HAVE to fight every plane that you see, but you can't avoid fights either.  Let's say I am flying over 3 guys fighting on the deck, and in the distance I see a co-alt plane.  I can choose to go attack the co-alt plane.  I dont' HAVE to dive into the furball just because it's there.  I can pick who I fight.  BUT let's say I fly over 3 guys fighting, and there are no other con's in the area.  Yes, I have to then dive down and fight.  I can't just fly away.  That would be avoiding.  

The CM's can't watch every fight, and much of this is on the honor system.  In the King of the Hill, you can't just fly around avoiding fights.  In this past KOTH, BigMax, Fuzeman and myself watched a pilot go from fight to fight, never really commiting, and when chased, would drag his opponents into each other, and get them to fighting, and fly off.  They never extended over 60 seconds (mostly) and would fly back and cherrypick the guys that WERE just chasing them and now in a fight.  What they did was "technically" within the rules.  They never extended over 60 seconds, and they would merge back and come within 1k of their opponent and then fly off again.  Eventually, after most other players were dead, they would then start "fighting" and attack the remaining stragglers.  What they did was totally legal, but I feel violated the spirit of the King of the Hill.  Are they allowed to do this?   Yes because it breaks no rules.  It's a tad on the weak side,  but legal.  Generally this isn't an issue, because you got a ton of guys in the tower watching the fights in CMI mode, and teasing any player doing this.  TRUST ME.  I've done exactly what I just described (not for a whole round, or most rounds like the player we watched) but for a encounter or two, and I was razzed quite hard by the guys in the tower.  I won that round btw, and you know what?  As great as it felt to win that round, it didn't compare even a TINY bit to the rounds i've won where I took on all comers and beat 'em.  When I won the KOTH USA last year, it was in a c202 with only one tiny mg. working, more of  my plane damaged than not, and having killed 6-7 guys, mostly in  2-3 on 1' getting gang banged because I was a two timer.  Now THAT was a round that felt AWESOME to win.  Heck... i'm still talking about it.

I totally understand wanting to attack the biggest "threat", as I fly the same way.  If I see (insert unskilled pilot name here) flying at me, and just a bit away I see say (insert skilled pilot name here) I would MUCH rather attack the greater threat.  Unfortunatly that isn't how KOTH works.  If me and (insert unskilled pilot name here) merge, the fight is on.  I am not able to just fly past them and go for (insert skilled pilot name here).  Well, you can actually.  You have 60 seconds to do what you want.  But you and (insert unskilled pilot name here) are fighting, and you HAVE to fight them.  Like I said earlier in this thread,
KOTH is not about avoiding all fights except the ones you want.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
60 second rule
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 03:35:51 PM »
OK, fine again, but I am going to keep pushing this point for all possible situations I can think of.

Let's say PILOTA is on my six at 1K. Within the 60 second time limit, I spot PILOTB and try to engage him. PILOTB is able to avoid my shot, so I go around long to attack him again, all the while, PILOTA is on my six, trying to get close enough to shoot at me.

Now, even though I am actively engaging with PILOTB and just checking my six making sure PILOTA isn't getting a good firing position, does the 60 second rule still apply? Technically, I would already be in a fight with PILOTB, so does PILOTA have a legitimate complaint if I don't turn to engage him directly?

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
60 second rule
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 03:50:48 PM »
Personal attack
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:06:15 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
60 second rule
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 04:42:03 PM »
Originally posted by Manedew
Such hypocrisy,

The above quote hit's it right on re: your "timid flying" arguments now.

Originally posted by WMLute
The CM's can't watch every fight, and much of this is on the honor system.  In the King of the Hill, you can't just fly around avoiding fights.  In this past KOTH, BigMax, Fuzeman and myself watched a pilot go from fight to fight, never really commiting, and when chased, would drag his opponents into each other, and get them to fighting, and fly off.  They never extended over 60 seconds (mostly) and would fly back and cherrypick the guys that WERE just chasing them and now in a fight.  What they did was "technically" within the rules.  They never extended over 60 seconds, and they would merge back and come within 1k of their opponent and then fly off again.  Eventually, after most other players were dead, they would then start "fighting" and attack the remaining stragglers.  What they did was totally legal, but I feel violated the spirit of the King of the Hill.  Are they allowed to do this?   Yes because it breaks no rules.  It's a tad on the weak side,  but legal.  Generally this isn't an issue, because you got a ton of guys in the tower watching the fights in CMI mode, and teasing any player doing this.  TRUST ME.  I've done exactly what I just described (not for a whole round, or most rounds like the player we watched) but for a encounter or two

good thing i didn't mentioned the player name the above quote was about or we woulda seen a real melt down.

As far as i'm concerned Mane, you've lost your "timid flyer" whaaa priv's.  Give it a rest.  You as bad about what you are complaining about as most if not any that I saw this past(s) KOTH.  

Let's keep this constructive and not let petty squabbles sideline a good thread.  If all you want is to pick a fight and babble, please do me a favor and don't post.  If you feel you have something positive to add, by all means do so.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 11:45:02 PM by WMLute »
— George Patton

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
60 second rule
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 10:31:50 AM »
Personal attack
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:07:01 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
60 second rule
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 11:20:41 AM »
Originally posted by Manedew
Personal attack

and again I point out you are pretty much the worse about doing the very thing you whine over and over and over about.  I always knew you drug everybody around, and committed when it was most advantagous (or forced to), and only then, but never until I had the luxury to watch you off and on for most a KOTH did I see just how far you take it.  You are a prime example of exactly what skirting the rules means.  I admitted to dragin' people around so they have to fight each other for a fight or two.  I watched you do it round, after round, after round.....  So let's not throw stones mr. lives in a glass house.

I have explained what is considered skirting a fight, and not.  Not sure what you are having issues with.  I explained it pretty clear.  If clarification was needed, I gave it.  I will go over it all again, but you could simple scroll up and read.  Them's the rules.  You will see them in the MOTD.  Heck, you will see them in a sticky in this section of the bbs as soon as me and Fuzeman iron out the alt cap.

So unless you can put forth something constructive, consider yourself ignored henceforth until you are able to "add" to the discussion.  

Does anybody have anything to add?  An idea perhaps?  Fuzeman, BigMax and myself are willing to consider a rules change, if the community wants it.  We can change to say, once you see an icon, you have to fight.  There IS no extending.  If you see the icon, you HAVE to go at it until you see no other icons.  No running, no extending, no dragging, period.  Would this be more to everyones liking?  It has been suggested, and i'm curious what everyone thinks.  

ADD any other ideas you have please.  The KOTH is for the players to enjoy, not the CM's (but we do have a hoot watching) and we want this to be as fun of a time as we can make it for the players.

OK, fine again, but I am going to keep pushing this point for all possible situations I can think of.

Let's say PILOTA is on my six at 1K. Within the 60 second time limit, I spot PILOTB and try to engage him. PILOTB is able to avoid my shot, so I go around long to attack him again, all the while, PILOTA is on my six, trying to get close enough to shoot at me.

Now, even though I am actively engaging with PILOTB and just checking my six making sure PILOTA isn't getting a good firing position, does the 60 second rule still apply? Technically, I would already be in a fight with PILOTB, so does PILOTA have a legitimate complaint if I don't turn to engage him directly?

sorry i got sidetracked Midnight.  To answer your question, if PA merges with you, and you go pick a fight with PB, you are "IN" a fight.  You don't have to merge back and fight with PA.  You can let 'em blaze away on your six as long as you like while you are fighting with PB.  The 60sec rule is about avoiding a fight.  If you are "IN" a fight, that's not avoiding.  The only clarification I would make is if it takes you more than 60 sec. to start "fighting" with PB you do have to turn and merge with PA.  

I personally have done what you suggested many times.  I have been in a fight with a new guy, and spotted a real threat going for the easy pick.  I have ignored the guy I was originally fighting with until I had dealt with the "threat".  I let them stay behind me, guns a blazing.  Sometimes they got me, some times they didn't, and after I killed the "threat" I would then reverse and kill the new pilot (hopefully).  Doing this gives all the advantages to the new pilot on your 6, but sure, if you want, you can choose to do this.  I myself have.  You are not avoiding a fight if you are IN a fight.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 04:07:32 PM by Skuzzy »
— George Patton

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
60 second rule
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 12:20:24 PM »
You still fail to see my behavior in inspired by yours??

You would fly like this THEN whine to max about 60 seconds?!?!?

figure out why I wanted the rules claified yet?

Well if you and others are going to fly like that why shouldn't I?

If you don't your apperently required to turn for higher cons who whine to the CM ???

While you and others coast around hugging alt and 'skirting the fight'

is it any wonder I point out your crazy interpretation of the rules by flying by them?

I would think you'd have some of this figured out.... guess not