Author Topic: Strange kill  (Read 1213 times)

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Strange kill
« on: February 23, 2001, 06:30:00 PM »
S!

Was flying with my 2 squad mates back home from an uneventful mission.Just when I was about to land my sledge on A27,the plane exploded and a person was credited a kill of me.Weirdest thing was that there was NO visible con even near us!Our formation leader confirmed the airspace was clear when he arrived a bit after us from S/SE.Also my wingie scanned the sky immediately after the explosion and no trace of a con.Anyone else had these strange "outtanowhere" kills?Just curious since there has been a fair share of problems with AH and connection...

DB603
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Strange kill
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »
You said uneventful, but did you take even one bullet? The way the kills work in here, that's all you need.

I have received a few kills on planes where I just managed a glancing shot (maybe 2 or 3 pings) as they flew into AA range. AA finishes them off and I get the kill.

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS
 midnight@13thtas.com

"I see you have made your decision. Now let's see you enforce it." -Brandon Lee (The Crow)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Strange kill
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »
Back in last november, I was watching many times when guy over 6k away got a kill of vehicle.

Once I was in tiffie, just going to dive on a panzer or M3, when he did exit at the spawn point after noticing me and then team mate at the field, about 8k away got the kill (and I was just 600 yards away)

This was not unique case at all..
Funny thing also is that maneuver kills seems to come more from 2k than of within 500 yard situations.

Once team mate had fought with enemy for long time and I was just flyin my B-17 towards the field close by, when enemy crashed 2.8k below me and I got kill - not the guy whos he fought with. (he was just top of him almost)

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Strange kill
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
S!

Didn't take a single hit during the flight nor fired upon.Only when I was landing heard this "hit sound" and BOOM!And there was NO con in the area...

DB603
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Strange kill
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2001, 06:48:00 PM »
Just a quick question. Was V26 in enemy hands or recently re-taken?  

------------------
***-*-

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Strange kill
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
S!

I can't recall it so well,but we Knights were getting pounded from 2 fronts.Sounds kinda historical...

DB603
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Strange kill
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2001, 07:27:00 PM »
I have lobbed shells from a cv cannon at an airfield, and gotten kills that way.  Using the targeting system I was able get the range and bearing to aim, and boom, get a kill sometimes.  I imagine its possible when that happens, the guy I got the kill from wonders how.
Just a possibility.
Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Strange kill
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2001, 08:12:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that no hits were made in either case by me (and in first case nobody shot at the m3 or panzer, whichever it was) which I mentioned.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
Strange kill
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2001, 08:37:00 PM »
I had the weirdest death ever last night. I was 190a8 and a hi p47 dove in on me. I did a yaw roll and hard pull under, checked my 6 con was low and went vertical. watching the con above me as he reached 1k i heard ton o pings. I looked out my 6 and no cons.

Sure enought the p47 got the kill but we both had good connects. Ive been dealing with lag for 12 years in online sims and have never had this happen before. The film cleary shows no warping, and i asked the p47 driver if i was warping. He said no, i was rock solid.

Ill leave it as an oddity that only happens once in 12 years  

Dog out......

TheWobble

Strange kill
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2001, 08:49:00 PM »
Wardog, I had a smiliar incident yesterday, I was in a 51 and a d-hog was after me, i pulled hard right and he was going so fast (dropped in from about 3 k above me) that he shot past me, he didnt even fire at me either, then a few seconds later I saw him fire a burst INTO THE WATER and I heard pings, i was flying level now..then i saw him begin to pull up and he fired another burst straight up into the air and again i heard pings lost a wing and in I went.  when firing he was never closer than 2.2k away.  There were no othe planes in the grid square.

My ping to HTC is usually between 35-50, so i doubt connection could make it appear that way..

???

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Strange kill
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »
I get flicked off carriers occasionally this way. No one around, no red sector bars, just death.

Yes, I can lift a plane off a carrier.  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Strange kill
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
I was flying with a squadie just south of A8.  He was chasing a 109 and I engaged a Typhoon.  After I was clear.. I asked how he was doing.  He said "I've pumped 100 rounds into this 109 and he's not even damaged".  He broke off.

About 30 seconds later DB306 was killed at a27 and my squadie was awarded the kill.  He never even entered that sector.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Strange kill
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2001, 10:30:00 PM »
Geez.. HTC should implement maximum lag / packet loss filter for the arenas  

Not fun if some guy lags +2 seconds and you'll be flying with one tenths of second latency.

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
Strange kill
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
Howzabout this?...  After engaging in a fight against 2 or 3 cons in a mini furball, I get shot down and die.. so far normal, especially for me.    After I die, I am returned to the tower at least a sector away, from whence I originally took off.  Within 15 seconds after getting to the tower, I receive a kill message, supposedly having downed one of the pilots from the mini furball.  I hadn't ever had a shot at that particular pilot, and I had died and was already back in my own tower when it happened.  Hey, I'll take kills any way I can get 'em, but geez.  

------------------
Skorpyon
~900th Bloody Jaguars~
"Feel the Sting......"

MrSiD

Strange kill
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2001, 03:38:00 AM »
That is what I liked best in Warbirds..

I could run into a furball with my spit (yeah I flew spits back then) and die after a kill or two.. Then when in tower or taking off the kills start to drop.. all the planes that I severely damaged but didnt drop get now killed and I get rewarded for the critical damage inflicted..

It's really great. Once I got 5 kills posthumously. Makes dying feel a lot less miserable