Author Topic: Weathering and bare metal.  (Read 384 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Weathering and bare metal.
« on: May 28, 2005, 09:57:45 AM »
Ive been thinkin alot about how to weather my bare metal skin.

I mean weather effect on painted planes is much more obvious. Wind, sand, water, personell walkin on the plane all tearing on the paint. Oil and grease is ofcourse the same if its bare metal or paint job.

So how does the environment affect bare metal? Well one obvious is corrotion (sp?) if the plane operated in a environemnt with alot of salt, like the pacific. But here is another question how well did they maintain their planes? Did planes actually get rusty, where they so badly maintained?

Next thing I can see as a weather effect on bare metal is dirt. Dirt obviously depending on what theatre it operated in. Say the pacific then it was more exposed to sand then in europe, while in europe it would be more exposed to mud. Dirt getting "stuck in the plane lines" would be obvious especially on the under side if they landed on sand or dirt air strips. But how much? How well did they actually clean and take care of their planes? Also how much would it just blow off in flight?

The biggest weather effect on a bare metal skin would be just fading the shineyness of it. Areas where crew walked, pilot climed into cockpit and areas heavily exposed to sand blowing up would be more worn and not as shiney.

Any input on this subject would really help. I have an idea on how to do the different effects on the plane it self I just need to know what effects to apply to it.

Tex

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Weathering and bare metal.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
Aluminum doesn't rust. What you will see is a general dulling of the finish. Most of the Japanese fighters didn't survive long enough to allow corrosion to become a serious issue.

Dirt and grime will be evident anywhere where fluids may come in contact with the surface of the aircraft. Oil collects dust and will appear dull after a while. Ordinary dust, mud and dried soil will be equally evident on the aircraft's skin, especially where it is thrown up by the wheels. Leading edges will get sandblasted and will be very dull in appearance.

My advice is to drive over to your local airfield and photograph any old bare metal aircraft that may be there.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.