Author Topic: stick stirrers  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 03:35:53 AM »
simple solution to this.

Happens to me all the time.

I'm on someone, they start flopping around like a %$#@@$%... very simple. I just hit the brakes... Lag roll if I have to. Slide slip to burn E.

The stick stirin neweb obviously isnt going to pull any fantastic move on me because I am slow and behind him with my E scrubbed. Just wait for the shot to come each time he passes in your gun site.

Once he's back, safely in the tower you can proceed to poke fun at his flying or lack thereof.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 07:15:10 AM »
Originally posted by Morpheus

Once he's back, safely in the tower you can proceed to poke fun at his flying or lack thereof.

Dumb Question. What exactly IS stick stirring? I mean... I think I know as it's probably fairly self explanetory... but why does anyone care?

Woof

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
stick stirrers
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 12:45:21 PM »
the point im tying to make here is the stick stirrer causes me to get the control message , even in level flight . (the biggie is its intermitent )

it happened last night again too .
(guy stirring hard , im off the gas , awaiting him to cross again  , i start nosing up about one full sight ring for the shot as he crosses and Bammm locked controls )

i dont think its my stick, its coming back thru the game somehow . i think the conditions have to be just right though.

ok guys do you get what the problem is yet ????
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 01:26:19 PM »
Pretty weird problem Roscoroo. Got any film of it?

What you describe defies all logic, as per my small melon.

I have no doubt you are experiencing it, just find it hard to grasp that it can be caused in anyway by your opponent "stick stirring."

You sure about your hardware?

I have never experienced this in the 4 years I have been flying here.

Weird.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 02:04:03 PM »
Rosc, that really does sound odd. Can't understand you someone else's FE can effect your FE in this manner. Post this up in the
TechSup forum. Maybe Scuzzy can shead some light on it.

If I had a stick stirrin' dweeb in my sights and couldn't kill him I'd be derned irritated too. :mad:

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 02:44:28 PM »
Originally posted by SkyWolf
Dumb Question. What exactly IS stick stirring? I mean... I think I know as it's probably fairly self explanetory... but why does anyone care?

Woof

Because it total BS.

If a WWII pilot were to ...

pull the land-trout flip-flop (explained by Jetb)

or the overexagertated wing wave (109s, 190s, and F-4Us are famous for this)

or my favorite to watch ... the porpoise (favored by Spit and P-51 pilots)

... they would probably have blacked out, and/or knocked themselves out with their head bouncing around in the cockpit like loose change, and/or in the case of the porpoise, their eyes would have bled out from the repeated negative Gs ... yet in a game such as this, there is no real penalty that can be delivered or determined.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 04:05:03 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Because it total BS.

... they would probably have blacked out, and/or knocked themselves out with their head bouncing around in the cockpit like loose change, and/or in the case of the porpoise, their eyes would have bled out from the repeated negative Gs ... yet in a game such as this, there is no real penalty that can be delivered or determined.

I agree it BS.

We model G fatigue, why not some of these. I'm sure it could be determined at what force an average, fit, pilot could not keep his head streight. The pilot could loose conciousness similar to a pilot wound. (Or whiplash and you now can only turn you head 30 degrees)  If the force is strong enough for the head to hit the canopy then total blackout, no control movement and if you are  not shot down you have to ride the plane to the ground. (that will teach them, maybe you regain conciousness 10 ft from the ground :lol )

As far a -G make the penalty more severe.

Otherwise, just kill the stick stirring bastages!

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 05:50:38 PM »
How much do you model before it becomes a chore to fly and not a game?

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 06:22:05 PM »

I'm kind of a dim bulb sometimes.... so basically this guy would just be moving the stick forward and back very fast? Wouldn't he red out and black out anyway? I'll have to fart around with this offline. I don't see why it would matter. Seems like you could still shoot him (assuming that, unlike me, you can hit anything to begin with).  :D

Woof

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 06:41:18 PM »
I've seen that neg g move too, and I don't know what it is. If I try that to avoid bullets, I'm in the tower real quick. When I see it beeing done to me, it looks like they're dodging my bullets. I don't think they're doing what I am seeing. If fact I have no clue what they are doing.

On an aside - I've read the whole loop how a shot is process. First on my end, thend sent to the host etc. etc. A long half second ordeal. Yet I have film of popping a sleeping la7 600 out and having him imediately start squirming when the first bullet hits.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 06:43:50 PM by BTW »

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
stick stirrers
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 11:35:48 PM »
i havent been running film much lately . but i think i have in on 1 or 2 films ... i just need time to go thru them.

another point is that i'm all over them 200 distance when this happens .

last nite it happened right as ussuall and off i go flat level .. and 5 secs later i was a victum for manedog

i'll film my furballs this week and see if i can catch this . it could be sound causing this to or some other glitch . i always seem to get this right as im thinking about the shot.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 11:58:21 PM »
Originally posted by SkyWolf
I'm kind of a dim bulb sometimes.... so basically this guy would just be moving the stick forward and back very fast? Wouldn't he red out and black out anyway? I'll have to fart around with this offline. I don't see why it would matter. Seems like you could still shoot him (assuming that, unlike me, you can hit anything to begin with).  :D

Woof

I played dumb after I had killed someone doing what slapshot described. After the "Fight", I PM'd him and commended him on his "fantastic" flying. I asked him how on earth he managed to pull those amazing moves.

He said...

Its very easy really. I just pull back the stick very fast so my plane spins out. I keep doing it until the guy on my 6 passes me and is then in front of me. Once he is, I let go of the stick, and the spin stops with a little forward stick presure and I can shoot him.

Saddly for him, i wasn't stupid enough to zoom on by while he pulled his retarded stick pulling malarchy.

Basicly the only way you have a chance pulling something like this with a con on your 6 and living through it to kill him, is if the guy on your 6 was born with out a brain.

You dont have to try and follow him with his turns or jinks or jerks.... Just cut throtle a little. Keep your speed up, but keep behind him with lag rolls... wait for the shot, it will come. He's in front of you... the shot will come. Make sure your timing is on, and when its right, shoot him.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Reality vs game
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2005, 12:14:48 PM »
Because it total BS.

Better modeling of real flight conditions would help but not for the reasons stated nor would the results be what you'd expect.  

As I understand it, stick stirring is just rapping the stick around as fast as you can to confuse the game and cause the aircraft to appear in random positions.  This is pretty easy to do in the game since we can't model true flight control feel correctly (stick force per G is a good example).  In other words, it's a hell of a lot easier to slap my X-45 stick around like an epileptic bimbo than it is in a real plane which could take 10-30 lbs of force to move the stick it to it's limits.  Likewise, the results of stick stirring in real life can only be approximated.  Far from knocking the pilot out in real life, exactly the opposite will happen...basically nothing.  

There is a measureable delay between a flight control input and response from the aircraft (change in pitch, roll, yaw).  There are a lot of reasons for this as you'd expect but (gross oversimplification here) there are two main ones; slop in the flight control system and mass.  Just because you move the stick doesn't mean you have an immediate and comparable movement of the flight control and physics tells us we can't instantaneously alter the path of an object in space.  These add up to control system response time.  If you move the stick from position A to position B and back again (stirring) faster than the response time nothing happens. As the speed of control movement is increased rapidity of aircraft movement increases only to the system response time afterwhich the responses decrease.  If you can move the controls fast enough (as in stick stirring) essentially nothing happens.  

Of course the controls do not "lock"either, and this is where modeling could be better.  As soon as the control inputs decrease below the response time you begin to control the plane again.  In the modeling, the controls lock for some period of time which is not realistic.  More accurate modeling would just ignore inputs over a certain rate but immediately allow inputs less than that.  Although it wouldn't "punish" the stick stirrer it would take away any reason to do it...i.e., stick stir and nothing happens.

We need to remember also that what is stick stirring to some may just be jinking to another.  If someone has you in a gun solution (talking real life here), you'll do anything you can to get out of it.  Break turns, snap rolls, high-G barrel rolls (both over the top and underneath) and negative-G push aways are all valid guns defenses and they're all based on the idea of generating high maneuver rates and unpredictable flight paths which by definition would make correct modeling difficult given the time delays inherent in the internet.

Mace
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 01:00:26 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
It seems like my War Birds 3 ripoff game has something to that effect. The planes seem lazy in their manouvers and take much longer to roll. In AH, planes can suddenly roll with almost no resistance. It takes about 2 seconds of full stick deflection to roll a P38 perpendicular to the ground in wb3.exe .
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
stick stirrers
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2005, 07:38:59 PM »
As for the "Floppy Fish" I think most players simply Snap Stall a wing and lose control. As for "Stick Stirring" i would like to fly behind someone who is doing this intentionally so i can understand the difference in how it looks.
Hmmm doesn't the AH2 flight model include Blackout and Red outs? Don’t these properties cause a player to lose control of the aircraft if the limits are pushed beyond the reasonable limit's?
And when said consequence occurs aren’t they an easy kill? Have you ever seen cockpit video of a 3D aerobatic pilot Snapping 4 point rolls climbing like a rocket then stalling into a double hammerhead followed by a high speed pass and mashing his way into a tumble or a Lomcevak? For the viewing pleasure of the un-knowing check these links.
Kirby1
Aerobatic Clips
Now i realize that WWII Pilots weren’t in near the physical condition that the Extreme Aerobatic competition pilots are today. But the maneuvers you are referring to "the porpoise" "overexagertated wing wave" are very mild in comparison and I am sure most WWII Fighter pilots could withstand a mild red out and the black tunnel that said maneuvers may cause.
Just seems more like we get crabby cause we cant get a kill. Claiming that players are flying humanly impossible maneuvers.
The flight model does actually penalize for flying the AC beyond its capable flight envelope. As well as penalizing us for flying in a way that would cause us a physical malfunction. The stick stirring is something all together different. (Still would like to see a demonstration).
:)