Author Topic: Movies: have you seen>>>  (Read 3157 times)

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Movies: have you seen>>>
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2000, 05:27:00 PM »
Hi All,

X-men - If you liked the comics, this is close enough

East is East - You need a special type of "sense of humour" - Bradford = Bradistan (English)?? but I thought it was really funny.

TTFN
snafu

------------------
  snafus Homepage

[This message has been edited by snafu (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by snafu (edited 11-29-2000).]

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2000, 06:09:00 PM »
Bah, most modern films are terrible anyway  

Three Kings is the most recent recommendation I have. Makes no qualms about being historically inaccurate (Gulf war) but pretty impressively meaningful and very funny.

Twelve Monkeys is a good piece of sci-fi/action.

And Deja, you're wrong there. The first movie was 'Alien', the second 'Aliens'. :P

The Postman was shown over here recently, it's another very nationalistic piece (as well as another badly screwed-up book adaptation) but if you can stand the script and pathetic ending it's got a certain quality to it, and amazing cinematography. I think Blade Runner and Stargate are the only movies I've seen with the same level of detail given to the surroundings.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2000, 06:32:00 PM »
Maverick - the Holy Grail was a serious fly-on-the-wall documentary, showing us just what it was like to be a Knight. If you can't see that then you are a fool.  

Dowding.. I'd argue with you... but instead I'll just leave you with these two things:

1. You are right

2. We still kicked your bellybutton back in the 1700's :d

LOL   It wasn't my bellybutton you kicked, or else my parents have got some explaining to do...  

I've seen both Clerks and Mallrats. They were ok but something about them really got on my tits - the dialogue was a little two idiosyncratic, and it just irritated me after a while. Worth seeing though and all my friends liked them.

Three Kings was a poor man's Kelly's Heroes without the laughs. I think it wanted to be like The Thin Red Line, but also be actually watchable.

Anyway, I prefer books to films these days; no book even comes close to Catch-22, has anyone seen the film?

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 11-29-2000).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2000, 08:04:00 PM »

And Deja, you're wrong there. The first movie was 'Alien', the second 'Aliens'. :P

DOH! Serious blushing going on.  And a fricking Brit pointed it out to top it off

LOL (Image removed from quote.) It wasn't my bellybutton you kicked, or else my parents have got some explaining to do... (Image removed from quote.)

Hehehe.. I know you weren't around back then.  Just so you know... every time we let off a firecracker on 4th of July... we aren't really thinking about how our ancestors kicked butt on your anscestors  We are thinking about how WE kicked butt on YOU

I've seen both Clerks and Mallrats. They were ok but something about them really got on my tits - the dialogue was a little two idiosyncratic, and it just irritated me after a while. Worth seeing though and all my friends liked them.

Excellent observation.  This is a result of the author/director insisting that the actors stick precisely to the script and the actors not being very good.  It was less noticeable in Mall Rats than Clerks.  In Chasing Amy you couldn't tell anymore.

BTW.. you do know Silent Bob wrote and directed those two films don't ya?

I have seen "Catch 22" but I have not read the book.  It is one of the all-time classic WW2 films IMO.  Just too much truth behind the humor.

AKDejaVu

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2000, 09:39:00 PM »
Catch-22....probably my all time favorite movie. You have to watch it 2 or 3 times to pick up on all the little nuances. Lately, I think Saving Private Ryan was one of the better movies I've seen. The cinematography during the D-day landing was outstanding. Also The Green Mile was pretty good....probably one of the best book adaptations I've seen. It helps to read the book first though.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2000, 02:58:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
My question is:

Gladiator?  Worth renting?

Patriot? Worth it?

Just watched U571, good flick, as long as you keep in mind that its not historical.

heya Rip,
i saw Patriot, and it was interessting for me (european) to see what
happened there around 1700. All i know about Amerikas beginning is the
wild west   but Patriot playing in a time before wild west.
It was a german who directed the movie, Roland Emmerich (Godzilla, ID4),
i usualy dont like his movies that much, not
enough deepnes and not seriously enough.
Patriot is his first attempt in a more mature direction  

didnt saw Gladiator and U571, need to rent it too.

greets
Gh0stFT

"Quite often on the track when I want to go faster I don't drive any faster, I just concentrate harder, which makes me go faster" - Jim Clark
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2000, 04:45:00 AM »
Deja - didn't know that Silent Bob did all that. I'd forgotten about Chasing Amy - I think I saw it last year, but can't remember.

As for Catch-22, I cannot urge you guys strongly enough to go out now and buy/loan a copy of the book. I've talked to people who studied it as part of their course at uni., and they say it's ten times better than the film (which was good anyway). It's long (nearly 600 pages), but the whole thing is pretty disjointed. I like to read a book leisurely, but I read it in 3 days. I can't recommend it enough.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2000, 06:26:00 AM »
Aw, U571 went in the bottom drawer with "thin red line". (boooooooooooooooring !!)

Both are nearly as bad as "the Hidden2"  

the 1st moments of Gladiator Rocks tho !

Saw

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2000, 07:39:00 AM »

"thin red line". (boooooooooooooooring !!)

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!  The only enjoyable part of this film was when my friend and I started making fun of it about 2/3rds the way through.  We were saying things like "Ohh... yet ANOTHER rhetorical question!" and "Please... show one more shot of a dead bird or a sunset!".  We actually got the entire theater going.  One month later, I discovered it was nominated for an academy award.  I'm still shaking my head.

AKDejaVu

I almost forgot... At one point I left to go to the restroom.  When I came back... I asked my buddy "Did I miss anything?".  Everyone within earshot laughed quite loudly.

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 11-30-2000).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2000, 08:29:00 AM »
I liked "Thin Red Line" exactly because it was cerebral. It made me think and philosophize about war and about our veterans, and the hardships and sacrifices they endured.

I don't think every war film has to have action of "Private Ryan" to be effective.

To each his own <shrug>.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2000, 10:42:00 AM »
Movies are for ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!!!!!!! if you want reality, watch the news!

BTW, Gladiator was a good movie, They are re-releasing it in the theater, I suggest you see it there!

------------------
Nathan "NATEDOG" Mathieu
Art Director
HiTech Creations
-=HELLFIRE SQUAD=-

".... And on the eighth day, God created beer. "

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2000, 11:44:00 AM »
Yes Dejavu, and Aliens II is NOT the right name   .Aliens is. First was called only Alien.
 http://www.mtb1.demon.co.uk/s_weav/films/aliens.htm

"Fight Club" was quite good too, nice message.

And those dudes were badass, I tell ya. Love that film; future societal structure is realistic but frightening, just as I want it to be.

StSantianism now! And I shall give you badass marines!

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
while(!bishRookQueue.isEmpty() && loggedOn()){
30mmDeathDIEDIEDIE(bishRookQueue.removeFront());
System.out.println("LW pilots are superior");
myPlane.performVictoryRoll();
}

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 11-30-2000).]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2000, 02:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by NATEDOG:
Movies are for ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!!!!!!! if you want reality, watch the news!

don't think you'll find it there either...

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2000, 03:09:00 PM »
spend the $4 and rent them, then make up your own mind. Never take a film critic's word.

Eagler

ps
Gladiator was better than patriot in my opinion
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2000, 03:16:00 PM »
Of course, if you want to watch a real War classic, The Bridge on the River Kwai was just released on DVD. I sure wish David Lean had made more WWII films in his day!