Author Topic: Windows XP Pro desktop is missing  (Read 185 times)

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
Windows XP Pro desktop is missing
« on: June 01, 2005, 07:07:10 PM »
OKay, older computer 900mhz. Was running fine under XP pro SP2. Rebooted and when it restarted the login screen appears and works fine.

Then as the desktop would appear, it ain't there. Just the background. No icons, taskbar, nada. Mouse works fine, but right  clicking does nothing. Windows key doesn't popup the start menu, alt-ctrl-esc fails to share the task bar. No unusual processes running, only 15 running total.

Any ideas?

PS: Safe mode produces the exact same results.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 07:09:54 PM by Sundiver »

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:55:16 AM »
Sounds like you have other people playing on your computer.  Sounds to me like someone went into the set-up and told the comp to "extend screen" onto another monitor.  I had the same prob, but I forget how to solve it.  Any ideas anyone?

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 10:14:51 AM »
I'd buy into that theory except..safe made should default to one desktop, lo-res 640x480. That's why it's called safe mode.

I miss the old days of being able to boot straight to dos. This is why I use linux for everything except game playing.

Bring AH2 to Linux!

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:54:41 AM »
You've got something hanging before explorer loads the desktop.

If you can get task manager up see if explorer.exe is in the list. If so end task on it and select File->new Task and type explorer.exe. If that does not work or you get some really odd error message, well, your kinda screwed.

It also could be that the user profile is screwed up. If you are auto logging on as administrator then you are screwed hear to as there is no other user to log on as. If not then at the user screen hit Ctrl-Atl-Del and log on as administrator and see if you get a desktop. If so, go to System Properties, Advanced, User Profiles and delete the user profile. You will have to recreate your desktop as all you will have is the defaults, any files in the My Documents folder will be lost also. You can go in and move them beofre you kill the profile.

c:\Document and settings\{username}\My Documents