Author Topic: The good ol days  (Read 963 times)

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« on: June 02, 2005, 09:14:25 PM »
Having some free time, I was wandering around some of the larger threads that I have been saving for when I had some down time, before venturing into them. I came across threads that mentioned the 'good ol days', it was then that I realized the subject of the 'good ol days' sneaks into more threads then first meets the eye.

In many a thread, and expectedly so, the 'Good ol days' arises when discussing the origins of the online flight sim world in regards to it's costs, hardware/software evolution and all other things mechanical/electrical. These threads , entangled to the past by 'the good ol days' bond, were to be expected, but what surprised me were just how many other threads mentioned the human factor connected to 'the good ol days'.

It can be noticed in threads dealing with anything from HO's and other pilot aggravations to trash talk and what to do about it. Even these threads mention' the good ol days', like noobs HO because they aren't being taught to fly like 'the good ol days'. Or young Billie has a permanent case of verbal explosive vomiting and is spewing trash talk all over the channels, because he doesn't have the respect that was around in 'the good ol days'.

I came across this and will quote it here, but I could've used one of many similar quotes:

I remember it was kind of disheartening later on when the AOL thing happened and the game was bombarded with new people. It kind of lost the closeness we had earlier. Not complaining, mind ya. It's good that it was opened up to more people, but we all knew it would never be the same again. That's when I started losing interest in it. I think I enjoyed the close camaraderie almost as much as the flying, and it was near impossible to achieve that with the heavily populated arenas.

airmigan

Not only am I impressed as to how far back the online flight sim community goes, but also how many times it has reinvented itself. For lack of a better way  to put it, 'the good ol days' happen every couple of years, each time with one side feeling loss and the other alienation. The vets see the influx of newcomers as an kind of intrusion into the world they've created and comfortably existed in during 'the good ol days'. The newcomer feels left out and somewhat of an intruder when he learns about 'the good ol days'.

If I can use an analogy of sorts. For the summer I'll be staying back at the house where I grew up. They are tearing down all the forest, to make condos. The forest which I played in endlessly as a child. It kills me, it makes me angry, I can't believe that someone would cut down all them nice trees for houses! Then a creeping feeling hits me, I'll bet 45 years ago some of them people from 'the good ol days' were sitting on their porches, saying the same thing when our home was built. Now there I sat, the newest resident of 'the good ol days'.

I guess from that, I see where the sayings about disliking change would have their foundation. The problem is change is what makes up 'the good ol days', for there would be no past if the present never changed.

Now in AH, I can sit and talk about how it was in 'the good ol days', the days of AH1, the days when.....etc, etc, etc. What's my point? None I guess. Only that 'the good ol days' of flight sims have been coming and going for years, and (excuse the pun) the sky is yet to fall.  If I may return to the above quotes mention of the loss of 'closeness' that went when their present was morphed into our past and, 'the good ol days'. This is unfortunately true, and some will leave due to that. Where I believe the bigger threat lies, is whether or not the future members of 'the good ol days' club, are even creating a game for themselves to remember  when they become members to ‘the good ol days’ club. The noob pilots who chose to stay, will soon be the makeup of 'the good ol days' and the rookies yet to even hear about AH, will be the next, and so on it will go.

Here's to hoping that everyone learns something from 'the good ol days'.

Cheers.

(Just some thoughts , ty for reading).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 09:18:09 PM by airbumba »
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
The good ol days
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »
Nice thoughts and write up there!

I have nothing to add yet, but I agree with you in most of your points.

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 10:33:24 PM »
wow thats deeeeeeeep ya dipchit.

I remember the good ole days was when you were flying more
there dryer lint.

whats the matter all the democrats keeping ya busy flying them over the border.
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline Horn

• Silver Member
Re: The good ol days
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:35:49 PM »
Originally posted by airbumba

Now in AH, I can sit and talk about how it was in 'the good ol days', the days of AH1, the days when.....etc, etc, etc. What's my point? None I guess. Only that 'the good ol days' of flight sims have been coming and going for years, and (excuse the pun) the sky is yet to fall.  If I may return to the above quotes mention of the loss of 'closeness' that went when their present was morphed into our past and, 'the good ol days'. This is unfortunately true, and some will leave due to that. Where I believe the bigger threat lies, is whether or not the future members of 'the good ol days' club, are even creating a game for themselves to remember  when they become members to ‘the good ol days’ club. The noob pilots who chose to stay, will soon be the makeup of 'the good ol days' and the rookies yet to even hear about AH, will be the next, and so on it will go.

A good post. There was an interesting intimacy in the older game--one, it was the only one of its kind, and two, the developer was not only the programmer but an active participant, three, we were making up rules as it went--strong personalities and pilots made great things happen--from scenarios to squads to training--it was new and wild, and four, some of the things in the program allowed a type of community interaction that we don't see much of here at AH--it's HT's call and that's the way he wants it but to give you an example or two:

We had a conference room that you came into before you even got to a country--it was a place to meet, chat, taunt, find new squads and in general talk about the game. Some people went into the conference and never even flew preferring to chat with the incoming pilots. We had country specific lounges and briefing rooms where you could chat, set up missions, meet & greet, etc. It is kind of like being in the AH tower with someone else without all the text going by and the distractions of bombs and low planes.

We also had multiple pilot capable bombers. Up to 6 (7?) pilots could load up a B-17, each manning his own position and have in-flight intercom enabled for the trip. Every guy got their own gun and the effects were pretty outrageous.

Don't get me wrong--we have cool things never envisioned in AW--HT and crew have done a marvelous job of adding planes and features and I don't in any way fault them--they have their own ideas as to how things should be run and they're certainly doing well--this board with its moderation alone is leaps and bounds above what we had then--what I stated above were just features in AW that allowed for a growth and intimacy of community that I would welcome here in AH.

Additionally those of us who played in the olden ways were kinda wierd overall--I distinctly remember glazing the eyes of more than one friend trying to explain why I was so excited about flight models, little triangles and far off T's in the virtual air that I would pay $6 bucks an hour for the thrill of it.

You're right--we'll each remember our "good ole days."

h

Offline Pepe

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 05:03:42 AM »
Hmmm...

You are talking about pre- 1.04 days, don't you?  ;)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
The good ol days
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 06:31:31 AM »
Hola Pepe-onito!

I figured I'd see you post here when I saw the word "old" in the threat title... now, let's wait a couple more minutes, and I'm sure we'll see Hajo's ugly head as well

Saw (*runs faster than Culero*)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 11:24:42 AM »
Originally posted by doobs
wow thats deeeeeeeep ya dipchit.

I remember the good ole days was when you were flying more
there dryer lint.

whats the matter all the democrats keeping ya busy flying them over the border.

Doobs! You silly fruitcake, I see you're still eating those 'mint candies'. Chrissake, for the love of god man, I told you a hundred times to stop eating them, they're MOTH BALLS !!! Jeeeezzzus.

...aghhh, why bother, I can see the damage is permanent...bonne appetit.
I used to be a fatalist,

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
Re: Re: The good ol days
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 11:29:55 AM »
Originally posted by Horn
A good post. There was an interesting intimacy in the older game--one, it was the only one of its kind, and two, the developer was not only the programmer but an active participant, three, we were making up rules as it went--strong personalities and pilots made great things happen--from scenarios to squads to training--it was new and wild, and four, some of the things in the program allowed a type of community interaction that we don't see much of here at AH--it's HT's call and that's the way he wants it but to give you an example or two:

We had a conference room that you came into before you even got to a country--it was a place to meet, chat, taunt, find new squads and in general talk about the game. Some people went into the conference and never even flew preferring to chat with the incoming pilots. We had country specific lounges and briefing rooms where you could chat, set up missions, meet & greet, etc. It is kind of like being in the AH tower with someone else without all the text going by and the distractions of bombs and low planes.

We also had multiple pilot capable bombers. Up to 6 (7?) pilots could load up a B-17, each manning his own position and have in-flight intercom enabled for the trip. Every guy got their own gun and the effects were pretty outrageous.

Don't get me wrong--we have cool things never envisioned in AW--HT and crew have done a marvelous job of adding planes and features and I don't in any way fault them--they have their own ideas as to how things should be run and they're certainly doing well--this board with its moderation alone is leaps and bounds above what we had then--what I stated above were just features in AW that allowed for a growth and intimacy of community that I would welcome here in AH.

Additionally those of us who played in the olden ways were kinda wierd overall--I distinctly remember glazing the eyes of more than one friend trying to explain why I was so excited about flight models, little triangles and far off T's in the virtual air that I would pay $6 bucks an hour for the thrill of it.

You're right--we'll each remember our "good ole days."

h

Hey Horn.

I've heard of the 'death star' B-17, but never was told about that conference room thingy. That sounds like a good idea. I'd settle for a second vox, so some of the squad guys could rant on and not disturb the squad chanell or local. Sometimes it's just as fun to shoot the watermelon while resupping as it is joining the main battle.
I used to be a fatalist,

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
The good ol days
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 01:54:25 PM »
the death stars were fun , but you could not always find enough people to man it.   it was more of a novelty.

the briefing rooms were good, you could "lock" the door to keep it private, load maps, give assignments, get squad organized, etc

Offline Don

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:15:42 PM »
>>We had a conference room that you came into before you even got to a country--it was a place to meet, chat, taunt, find new squads and in general talk about the game.<<

Horn:
I especially liked the conf. room just before (and after) a scenario frame. I got to talk with many of my nmez there who were from Az or Cz. Most times it was a hoot, and well worth the time spent.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 10:53:07 PM »
aw was my first..I upped went low and looked to ho anythin in sight just like any newb. i was happy when i had even number of deaths and kills back than..(insert dis below )

Offline SixWhiskey

• Zinc Member
The good ol days
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 03:33:47 AM »
In the good ol' days....

I did my first take off in a Luscombe 8A.  I managed to get the thing down the runway and off the ground without ground looping with Dad in the left seat knowing it was time and not touching the controls.  I was 10 years old.  I had yet to drive a car.  And none of my friends took off in a Luscombe with their Dad on a Sunday morning.

In the good ol' days, batch files and interrupt 13 was how you got things done.  Computers were used for things that actually needed computers, not typing letters to your congressman.  

You speak of, perhaps obliquely, the barrier to entry that no longer exists.  Knowing things, doing things, used to take a certain dedication and commitment which ensured there would be a select few engaged in any particular discipline.  You had to find that book in the library to read up on ACM.  Now it's a Google away.  You had to take flying lessons.  Now you can learn the skills necessary to fly on line.  Most AH pilots could probably get a Cessna 150 off the ground and back in one piece.  

What was once esoteric is now mainstream.  I strap on my Corsair and notice, "Gee, they programmed it to handle just like a tail-dragger on the ground.  Squirrely as hell."  So what?  I still get shot down more than not.  By people who don't even know what a Luscombe is.

And that's OK.  The Internet has given us a highly accesible medium which allows many more of us to gather, learn and share than ever before in human history.  

A consequence is the lack of appreciation by some which comes with ubiquity.  But...

15 years ago I sat in Denny's drinking coffee and reading about out-of-plane maneuvers.  And not a single person in the room cared or had any interest.  I was alone.

Now, I can instantly associate with people around the world who not only know what a yo yo is, but are just as excited about one as I am.  And we get to come as close to being WWII pilots as is possible without a time machine.  And we get to share this phenomenon with each other.

The good ol' days...

are here.  Right now.

-Six Whiskey, feet wet.

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
The good ol days
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 11:15:22 AM »
yes the good old days in aw where cv's didn't move,

and of course the Phildelphia experiment that existed in aw,
where ya could flatten and entire base and nobody could see you.
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
The good ol days
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 03:48:40 AM »
I think the good ol' days are often associated with the early days of something new.  It could be a new thing in the world, like how Air Warrior, when it was first around in the late 1980's, was the first multiplayer on-line air-combat sim.  (These days, with such wonderful technology being commonplace, it's hard to convey how amazing that was back then.)  It could be a person's or group of people's first experience with a thing that's been around a while, like when folks first get hooked on Aces High -- even though it's been in existence, it's new to you when you start.

I like SixWhiskey's thought:  "The good ol' days...are here.  Right now."

I lived good ol' days in Air Warrior.  Then I was out of on-line flying for years.  Now, I'm back in, flying in Aces High.  I want to make these my new good ol' days!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 03:51:26 AM by Brooke »

storch

The good ol days
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 04:09:20 AM »
in the good ol' days people were ruining their credit to play this stupid type of game.  gimme a break.  there is no such thing as the good ol' days in this or any other scenario.  life is dynamic, embrace change, it's the only constant in life.  my lord some of you guys are more effeminate than liberace (how's that for good ol' days?).  :D