Author Topic: Wanted Mature realistically inclined re-enactors  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Wanted Mature realistically inclined re-enactors
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2005, 01:26:38 AM »
. "FUN" - Personally I hate that word strictly from the perspective upon which I look at these sims.

As I said before buddy, "Fun" is what you enjoy doing.

If you think my idea of fun is being orderd about by some fat over weight 47yrd old brick layer is fun the you have another thing coming.

War. War is not fun.

HELLO!

This AINT war my friend. This, the MA is just a game. It serves no purpose to me other than to fight. I do not wish to take bases, thus I fight.

Fighting is my idea of fun.

If you want to get ordered about by all means, go right ahead.

Btw, those words you quoted didnt all come from me... They came from the owner and creator of the game. So you go ahead and you tell that to Hitech. I'm sure he'd tell you the same thing I did.

You think hes stupid? You think he thinks that the entire population of aces high is here to be ordered about in some clever plane orchestrated to win the war? Who's war? For who's country? not mine. I dont fly for anyone but myself.

You think that I am the only person with this mind set? Think again.

I just left a place where this is supposed to work and my experience was that it was full of jobless Napoleons who wouldn't take advice from a Norman Schwartzkopf or even Mommy or Daddy.

Give me total structure and control in a military simulation or it's just an other shoot-em-up.

Jesus... If that aint the Pot calling the kettle black than I dont know what is.

You think you are the only player ever to step into a sim that wants to "lead"?

It begs the question... Who are you to think you have the right, yet authority to lead? More right than them?

I really dont give a rats behind who you think you are. In the MA im going to fly how I want to fly, when I want to fly, where I want to fly, what I want to fly. Why? Because I can.

When ToD comes out, you can devote you're entire on line life to becoming that 4 star general you always longed for... Like I said... that is your idea of what is fun. If you didnt think it was fun you wouldnt log on in. You wouldnt pay.

If you wanted war, hell, blood, tears and wanted to pay for it, get married.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2005, 01:28:16 AM »
You're 100% correct.  The present version is a game with very little control by anyone.  I'm talking about what I would like to see in a TOD arena which would present me with an opportunity to re-enact vs. game e.g. I show up, am assigned a career parth which would probably put me in whatever airplane I'm best capable of flying and I'm stuck there for the duration rising throught the ranks dependent on my performance and ability to follow orders and complete my missions.  I spend my time in hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror and hopefully I survive, leave the military, study law under the GI Bill, get married, have lots of children, make money and then die with Tom Brokaw calling me part of The Greatest Generation.  Don't like my idea of re-enactment?  Don't worry unless I win the lottery and buy HTC this won't happen :lol

El Condor

Originally posted by Grits
This isnt war, its a game.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2005, 02:47:24 PM »
I really dislike the term "re-enact" and I much prefer the term "wargame".

Re-enacting is just that, its a scripted battle where participants follow a set course, and the winner and loser is pre ordained. Example, re-enacting Gettysburg. We know who will win.

Wargaming is two sides fighting in a simulation (board game or pc game usually), where the outcome is not already decided.

As for requiring real life officers to "wargame" with - this has never been a requirement that I have ever heard to have a succesfull session, most wargamers are civilian military history buffs.

I think you just need to find a group of friends (thats what a squad is to me), that share your enthusiasm for historical missions.

Im retired from AH2 for now, otherwise I would invite you for a few Friday Squad Ops with my old unit.

Your post struck a chord with me because of all the great times I had with my squads over the years, and I hate to see somebody so obviously bummed out about historical style play. I had a lot of fun doing it, like I say, you just need to find the right group, but I dont think you have to enlist for real to find that.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2005, 03:05:24 PM »
Well, if Beeg's vision is the future ToD, I predict it'll have about the same success as the current CT. Or even the CT in it's heyday.

I know I won't be there and that'll make both of us happy, I'm sure.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2005, 08:19:57 PM »
Squire;
You're probably right that a better term would be wargame.  Re-enactors also "act" the part and this might be carrying things a little too far for the average war sim gamer e.g. going out and spending a couple of thou for the proper high boots and leather jacket.  Occasionally I've heard a "horrido" or "tally-ho" online but when it's immediately followed by "kill the dude" I suspect the immersion level goes right out the window :lol

Regarding my suggestion about retired officers.  This isn't cast in concrete, it's just an opinion based on my own personal perception that perhaps those charged with running such a massive undertaking need some kind of serious management credentials whether from the civilian or military sectors and be accustomed to the level of planning required to run a large scale operation.  Voluntereers just don't cut it by my experience in the other game I play.  The "war" needs to be run on a full time basis to eliminate those "where the hell is the high command" complaints and "were getting killed because nobody is around to call the shots"  Morale goes down the tubes fast in that environment.  Again, this again supposes that we're talking about TOD being a strategic and massive "war game"  

Last but not least I'm not bummed out at all.  I play almost every day in all the arenas as well as venturing back to the other two sims I play.  I've accepted the fact that what you see is what you get.  I have no qualms with others playing any which way they please.  I just think that it's much more enjoyable for me to play as realistically as possible and the purpose of this post was to find out just who those people are who would agree with me.  I suppose that the only negative I have about how others play in AH is that many don't seem to appreciate or properly use some of the fantastic tools which HT has provided e.g. mission planner, films etc.

El Condor

Originally posted by Squire
I really dislike the term "re-enact" and I much prefer the term "wargame".

Re-enacting is just that, its a scripted battle where participants follow a set course, and the winner and loser is pre ordained. Example, re-enacting Gettysburg. We know who will win.

Wargaming is two sides fighting in a simulation (board game or pc game usually), where the outcome is not already decided.

As for requiring real life officers to "wargame" with - this has never been a requirement that I have ever heard to have a succesfull session, most wargamers are civilian military history buffs.

I think you just need to find a group of friends (thats what a squad is to me), that share your enthusiasm for historical missions.

Im retired from AH2 for now, otherwise I would invite you for a few Friday Squad Ops with my old unit.

Your post struck a chord with me because of all the great times I had with my squads over the years, and I hate to see somebody so obviously bummed out about historical style play. I had a lot of fun doing it, like I say, you just need to find the right group, but I dont think you have to enlist for real to find that.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2005, 08:27:20 PM »
TheBeeg ? / El Condor ? / Voss ?

Food for thought........ :eek:

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005, 09:12:09 PM »
ElCondor, for realistic missions (albeit single player) you should check out Il2 Forgotten Battles. Graphics are stunning, cockpits look like their real counterparts, damage modeling is light years ahead of AH2 and the plane handling is also better.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2005, 09:50:06 PM »
Scenarios are the solution.  Try the next one that comes up, and you'll see.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2005, 09:55:49 PM »
Late to the party as it's been a busy week.

Just my take.  I am also an aviation history nut and love the historical aspect of the game.

That being said, I've always looked at it from the viewpoint of the experiences of the civilllians turned combat pilots of WW2.

The wartime set up was a whole lot different from the peacetime set up of the Squadrons.  It was a lot less spit and polish and a lot more figuring it out on the fly and guys using their own initiative.

As others have mentioned, Scenarios are where you can find some of what you are looking for.  They are much better for letting you get into the role you want to play.

Even then it's still gotta be about guys having fun though.  Going back to the Airwarrior scenarios for me, I tended to have fun with the history surrounding whichever squadron I was basing the scenario group I was a part of on .  Lots of folks played along with that too, but it had to be fun.  The armchair general stuff just doesn't work for most and that would include me.

I wish you luck finding a crowd that wants to play it the way you want, but all it takes is a couple guys bouncing your impeccable formation and it's still going to be the individual pilots making it work.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2005, 09:58:09 PM »
Originally posted by DipStick
TheBeeg ? / El Condor ? / Voss ?

Food for thought........ :eek:

I think Beeg might be Beeger? Rampaging Rooks of Retribution? He was from PA too I believe.

Hell, if it is, he is one of the people that showed me the ropes when I first started playing.

So Beegerite if it is you.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2005, 09:58:10 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
Scenarios are the solution.  Try the next one that comes up, and you'll see.
'

Yep. If you would have seen the effort that Brooke and the other Torpedo guys put into the Coral Sea Scenario, you would never want for organization again. It was just amazing to see so many people working together for a common goal in aircraft that are usually considered "throw away" (B5N and TBM).

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 11:32:43 PM »
Daaaaam!  Recognized by a coal cracker.  Yes, that was me in the olden days.  Thanks for remembering the RRR :)

Originally posted by Nefarious
I think Beeg might be Beeger? Rampaging Rooks of Retribution? He was from PA too I believe.

Hell, if it is, he is one of the people that showed me the ropes when I first started playing.

So Beegerite if it is you.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 11:59:05 PM »
An aside:  I do enjoy scenarios and have been graciously invited to check a couple out as a guest.  I'm going to be there in spades as I have been in every single sim I've played.  No substitute for organized team work in my book.  At the risk of starting an arena wee wee contest let me relate an experience tonight in the MA.  At least 100 Rooks were attempting to take A9  Wave upon wave of bombers, fighters, fighter-bombers took off, did their dirty work and I hope returned to base.  We had a fleet sitting in close proximity and it sure looked as it should have been a gimme.  But nooooooooooo!  No missions posted, no coordination, no nothing just a useless slaughter.  Fun?  I had a couple of nice heart pounding encounters and I guess that was "fun" but where is the satisfaction of working together?  Why wasn't the base taken in 15 mins?  It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it was the MA, it has to do with the fact that there was no organization, communication or any one person willing to put their name on the line as the leader of the Great A9 Debacle.  On the other hand I have been in the MA when somebody has taken it upon themselves to organize a formal mission and not only was the initial target base taken but a momentum was created which resulted in multiple bases falling to the Rook juggernaut.  Now, I'm pretty new around this new version but I promise you that once I learn the ropes I'm going to be posting missions till my fingers fall off.  The only concession to my realistic urges would be that if I posted a mission it wouldn't be a mix of Allied and Axis aircraft.  Both sides have good enough aircraft that missions can be constructed to have the look and feel of reality.  I would urge anyone familiar with the process to post missions.  Maybe nobody will join but to me it's the best way to learn the process and change the mindset from that of the rampaging Capital One horde (I love them guys) to an organized fighting force that can get things done.  Simple as that.
El Condor

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2005, 02:02:19 AM »
Originally posted by TheBeeg
We had a fleet sitting in close proximity and it sure looked as it should have been a gimme.  But nooooooooooo!  No missions posted, no coordination, no nothing just a useless slaughter.

For a lot of us, the useless slaughter is the only reason we play. The longer the useless slaughter lasts the better IMO.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2005, 08:38:42 AM »
Originally posted by TheBeeg
It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it was the MA, it has to do with the fact that there was no organization, communication or any one person willing to put their name on the line as the leader of the Great A9 Debacle.  On the other hand I have been in the MA when somebody has taken it upon themselves to organize a formal mission and not only was the initial target base taken but a momentum was created which resulted in multiple bases falling

A couple things.  1) come to the bishops.  2) missions can and do work when for whatever reasons the hoard becomes inspiried.  It reminds me of the warner bros. cartoons of either the pack of hounds after a fox and the heads of the dogs poke out of their swirling pack or . . . and i forget which cartoon, but the line is "dahhh, which way did they go which way did they go?"  In either case, it's lots of fun and i like what is accomplished.  3) many people love to play this game for . . . someone said it earlier "sensless carnage?"  for them, that's the thrill.

hap