Author Topic: CT's OPEN: Setup - Time of Aces  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
CT's OPEN: Setup - Time of Aces
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Yeah, no C-47's. Guess you'll have to drive an LVT over... :D

It's just to make bases harder to capture.
Nobody is going to drive an LVT for 5 hours. So basically what you're saying is base capture is off. Don't bother fixing the bomber sites then.

DA with limited planeset in the CT again.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 01:30:35 PM »
Originally posted by Suave
Nobody is going to drive an LVT for 5 hours. So basically what you're saying is base capture is off. Don't bother fixing the bomber sites then.

DA with limited planeset in the CT again.

What purpose does "capture" serve in the CT...historically land armies captured turf. The goal is (I thought) a recreation of historical conditions/matchups to the degree possible given planeset etc. The "capture" function is what hosed the CT in the first place by making it a version of the MA....historically the CT WAS a "dueling arena" between historically correct plane sets with the total focus on air combat. Bring that back and the numbers will rebound....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 01:32:30 PM »
The other option is to make just 1 (or a couple of bases) capturable.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 01:39:21 PM »
base capture will skew the map

Fork did the correct thing - sorry milkers
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »
Historically, the CT was an arena with historical matchups and base capture, NOT a figther only arena. How can you have historical matchups without bombers ? With base capture off, there is no reason to have attack or bomber missions other than pure porkage. And porked bases aren't fun for fighter squads or buff squads.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »
Ok, so there's no reason to defend bases. The times when CT had the most players in it was when base capture was on. Finrus comes to mind. Don't like people milking? Get in there and stop them.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2005, 01:54:46 PM »
BTW if bases aren't capturable in fightertown, why did you make them porkable ?

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 02:27:37 PM »
Historically, the CT was an arena with historical matchups and base capture, NOT a figther only arena. How can you have historical matchups without bombers ? With base capture off, there is no reason to have attack or bomber missions other than pure porkage. And porked bases aren't fun for fighter squads or buff squads.

Actually the CT was not about "capture" originally. It devolved in that direction. The vast majority of the "original" CT player base didnt even fly bombers. There was no milk running or "rolling up the map". Most of the time you'd find everyone within the same one or two sectors gleefully beating the snot out of each other. If things got "lopsided" folks switched...and gleefully beat the snot (or got stomped) by their former wingman....such was life in the CT way back when. The CT was (and should be again) all about air combat between "historically correct" plane sets.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2005, 02:32:21 PM »
Ok, so there's no reason to defend bases. The times when CT had the most players in it was when base capture was on. Finrus comes to mind. Don't like people milking? Get in there and stop them.

with low, zero, numbers in CT at certain times, it has been proven it is impossible to stop the dedicated milkers

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2005, 03:02:20 PM »
Since Eagler isposting here I thought I'd bring this up...back when AH2 was in beta and the "blood & oil" effects came out I grabbed a pony (1st plane with effects modeled) and went tooling around looking for some blood and oil. I ran into a 109...went thru 3 or 4? of the best one on one's I'd had in months...no shoot & scoot BS on either side...pure E to angles to E to angles as advantage swapped...never more than 2.5 or so apart and often breathmint to breathmint....everything "good and right" about the game....was eagler (no clue if I was flying as humble, azhacker, snaphook)...anyway THAT is the CT in a nutshell to me.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2005, 03:13:24 PM »
that is what it is to me too

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »
You could've done that in h2h or DA. The CT was originally a place where you could fly your 109e or your p40 or boston or stuka and not have to worry about competing with 400mph super planes on a realistic terrain against contemporary enemies.

I came back to AH after about 2 1/2 years. Found the CT to be empty. That didn't make sense, the population of the MA is about 6 times larger, the population of the CT should be proportional. Logged into the CT and found Fightertown. Said to myself, no wonder it's empty, went back to the MA for 15 minutes. New setup yesterday, also empty. What has happened to the CT, I wonder. Maybe if I start attacking people will showup to start defending. Then I realize there's no way to take realestate. No wonder nobody is bothering to defend it. Hell the CT is empty because the war has ended there. In short I came back to find that the CT had become something boring empty. I'm just dissapointed that the arena that I had enjoyed so much is now gone. And it appears it's actually less popular now than it was when the player base was six times smaller. So I guess I'm not alone in my dissapointment.

But if that's what you want the CT to be now fine. Have your little h2h room on HTC's server and keep it empty 20 hours a day.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2005, 03:38:12 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
with low, zero, numbers in CT at certain times, it has been proven it is impossible to stop the dedicated milkers

There were a few times last week, with the Okinawa map, when the off-hour milkers reset the map.  CT regulars know that this porks the whole arena until someone comes in and reloads the tables, but there are obviously a lot of people who don't know, don't care, or deliberately want to screw things up.

Probably this varies from map to map.  Okinawa doesn't have a lot of bases, so attempted reset is feasible.  Rhine has too many bases to do that.  Solomons is closer to Okinawa, with the added problem that, because of the geography, capturing one or two critical bases will result in people have to travel a long way to find a fight.

My own opinion on base capture in the CT (or anywhere else, for that matter) is less dogmatic now than it used to be.  I'd like to have everyone in fighter planes, but there's no doubt in my mind that base capture brings in people who wouldn't otherwise come.  For this setup I'm with Fork and Eagler, though.

- oldman

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 03:40:29 PM »
Actually your missing the point here, the "duel" between eagler and I was "historically correct". It happened to be in the AH beta arena instead of the CT...but it's exactly why eagler fly's the CT over the MA. It was a match up trading off strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness...I remember us talking about how much better the AH2 pony was vs the AH1 pony in an extended angles fight on the text buffer....

The CT has been "dead" for months...not because of the "fighter town" experiment. IMO the combination of "land grab" and squads killed it, others have differing viewpoints. Now in the MA everyone of our fights would probably be interupted...and we both might have flown differently. But in the beta arena...we both simply reverted to our "true form". Since the planes were different we had to fly different fights (unlike the endless spit vs spit ect in the DA) and there was a much greater emphisis on "mid game" tactics vs the "win the merge, win the fight" reality of a "duel"....

If in fact the CT reverts back to "a time of aces" instead of a "time of gangbanging landgrabbers" then it will flourish again...

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »
How many months has base capture been disabled to keep us ghastly landgrabbing gangbangers and squads out of your time of aces arena?