Author Topic: Apple to switch to Intel processors  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Apple to switch to Intel processors
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 05:06:50 PM »
Probably, Apple have been relying on the Ipod for sometime to look good. The OS has started departed from the base BSD code which IMHO isn't good (especially security-wise). And Apple have been alienating software vendors all over the place either through OS compatibility changes or developing their own apps (this includes big name like Adobe).

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2005, 06:28:43 PM »
apple still makes computers?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2005, 07:17:09 PM »
No IBM makes a chip for a AMD board that Asus assembles and sells them to Apple, who then put a bastardized version of BSD Unix on them :D

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
This is uglier than the circumcision thread.

Offline Pei

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2005, 07:49:23 PM »
Apple switched from Motorola 68Ks to IBM PowerPC chips some years ago. For Apple the main motivation to leave IBM has been that the the new game consoles will all run on PowerPC and will be much bigger customers for IBM so Apple will have less influence. Apple have already been having inventory and delivery problems with IBM.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 09:24:50 PM »
OK... made a few calls at work.

The main reason for the Apple move didn't have anything to do with game consoles, it was about mobile chips. Basically, IBM can't make them for ****. Their lowest power offering was 45 watts and their 90nm process was not working to reduce that. Intel is offering a 22 watt laptop chip.

Also, the 64bit thing is false. Apple is going to work with the chips that are soon to be released by Intel. You could not design a whole new processor, tape it out, manufacture it, certify it and then release it in less than one year. 2 would be a stretch.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2005, 12:46:17 AM »
Agree with Mini D. I'm an IBMer working in the microelectronics division.  That's the way I was told too.  They are not too bothered though with the link up with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Microelectronics is a problematic area for IBM. Too much in the way of losses.  I work in a testing facility, it never made money. In fact it will close at the end of this year and the whole operation sub contracted out to the Far East.  Which means I will soon be an ex IBMer. I wanted out anyway now I'm walking with a five figure sum and a smile on my face.  Happy days:D

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2005, 01:49:35 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Also, the 64bit thing is false. Apple is going to work with the chips that are soon to be released by Intel. You could not design a whole new processor, tape it out, manufacture it, certify it and then release it in less than one year. 2 would be a stretch.

Is that info stong enough for me to pass on?

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2005, 03:44:55 AM »
-update-

Phil Schiller @ apple has confirmed to news.com that you will be able to run windows on the new intel-macs, but no OSX for intel-machines.

http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switch,+aligns+with+Intel/2100-7341_3-5733756.html?tag=macintouch

(bottom of page 2)

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 04:21:29 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
-update-

Phil Schiller @ apple has confirmed to news.com that you will be able to run windows on the new intel-macs, but no OSX for intel-machines.

http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switch,+aligns+with+Intel/2100-7341_3-5733756.html?tag=macintouch

(bottom of page 2)
I'd give 'em a couple of months of sales before the hack is out, and then Apple's computer sales will crash. It'll be much cheaper to buy a PC then hack it to use OSX than buy a mac, and there will be no difference between the two, except for the price tag. Fancy case design is nice, but not worth paying three times the price nice, and Apple won't be dropping their prices anytime soon.

Last time apple dealt with clones, they had a large measure of control over the CPU, and could shut them down with a proprietory architecture claim. If they try that with standard x86 architecture and components and effectively no say over the CPU, they may well get hauled up in front of a monopolies tribunal and financially spanked. Like the EU & Microsoft.

Very risky strategy, but what else can they do? G5s are currently still unusable in laptops (as are the AMD x86 clones) and the G5 chips aren't exactly on the cutting edge of Moore's law in the desktops either.
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2005, 04:34:20 AM »
I'm not so sure it will be that easy to hack. They have had 5 years of intese testing and have prolly figured out a way to lock OSX to macs.

Not saying it wont be done, but i doubt it will happen that fast.

I am willing to bet that macs will come down in price tho.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 05:11:36 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Or will Apple computers now be able to run WinXP?

if it gonna be x86 compatible.. and its very likely to be, an answer is Yes.

Im just wondering about Intel.
Intel is loosing badly, even Sun microsystems switched to AMD.

Im looking for pictures of buring Intel director by share holders :D

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2005, 05:17:45 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx

In fact it will close at the end of this year and the whole operation sub contracted out to the Far East.  

damm you should be happy that you will get chance to move to far east and work there :D

well ok .. i agree that it depend on personality :D

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2005, 07:31:57 AM »
Originally posted by lada
Im just wondering about Intel.
Intel is loosing badly, even Sun microsystems switched to AMD.
Sun never used Intel that I know of. They've always been bitter rivals. Intel nearly killed their company.

So, if by "doing badly", you mean owning the market share in servers, workstations and home PCs, you'd be correct.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2005, 08:27:48 AM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Sun never used Intel that I know of. They've always been bitter rivals. Intel nearly killed their company.

So, if by "doing badly", you mean owning the market share in servers, workstations and home PCs, you'd be correct.

well this class were based on Intel, mostly Xeon in the past
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/

and here is few more links, to back that Sun is using Intel's CPU for quite long time. They sell it as "cheap" substitution for those who can afford "real CPU, Ultra sparc" ... in their terminology :)

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/09/16/HNknox_1.html
http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive2/announce/200304/msg00000.html

here is one of Intel based from Sun web site. But they abandoned 32 bit some time ago ;)
http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v60x/

Doing badly .... lets have a look at Intel and AMD sales for past 2 quartals. I guess they arent publshed yet :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 08:33:27 AM by lada »