Author Topic: P47  (Read 534 times)

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
P47
« on: June 10, 2005, 08:21:16 PM »
Its bugging the livinng crap out of me so help. What are the differences between the three p47 beside speed and climb? Di they manuever different at all?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P47
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 11:41:25 PM »
D-11 and D-25 are a LITTLE more stable laterally because the razorback gives it extra "bite" into the air going forward, so to speak.

D-11 is lightest (least amount of gas tankage, I believe??) so while it has the weakest engine it also makes up for that by having less wieght to pull with that engine.

D40 of course has wonderful bubble canopy. Better ordinance options. And its the fastest version with the most powerful engine. It's also the heaviest, if I recall. The WEP really helps when needed (the WEP has more kick than the D11, in my opinion). From what I've heard, the D-25 is really the worst of the lot. Either take the 11 or the 40, is the sentiment I always hear. I don't fly them myself enough to know for sure, but I'll just pass along what I've heard.

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
P47
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 12:49:03 AM »
as for manueverability on the 11 and the 40? Would they have pretty much the same turn radius and speed just 11 goes faster and 40 climbs faster?

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
P47
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 06:39:13 AM »
The D25 IS NOT a razorback it has a great bubble cannopy as well.

D11 is the fastest, most manouverable with the worst accelleration and hance climb rate.

D40 has the most powerfull engine (still no climb monster by any means) so it accellerates and climbs the best of em. Its about as stable as the D11. Carries the best JABO loadout and is the recommendable jabo ride in the familly.

D25 has a better engine then the D11 but not as good as the D40. So it climbs and accells better then D11 but not as good as D40. For me it manouvers better then the D40 but its with a thin margine. Its also the most unstable in the familly. Still a stable plane but most unstable. Which infact I do like.

NOTE: FUEL

Fuel load makes a HUUUUGE difference in these planes. They have huge engines and hence carry huge ammount of fuel, hence a huge ammount of mass. Alos there is a big difference in fuel load on D11 and the others. The smaller engine meaning smaller tanks meaning less difference in how many percent of fuel you load up. But still its a big difference.

When it comes to A2A combat the D11 is most commonly used. I personally do not use it at all. Reason lack in engine power and the horrible cockpit. But it does have a easy mode, the speed. With the dive characteristics of the heavy jugs and the high topspeed of the razorback it does really give you a great escape option.

Personally Im not THAT dependent on speed in my fighting. What I look for and use is E and manouverability. I come from flying Spits, F6F and Yaks so except for the Yak Im more used to the lower mid end of the speed range. Hence taking a hit on the speed attributes doesnt do me much harm and I happily trade it for climb so I can rebuild my E faster.

That leaves me the two bigger engine options the D25 and D40.

When it comes down to the D40 vs the D25 in dogfight the D40 imho only has one real edge and thats the nose high manouvers. That little bit more of extra power does make it easier to keep the nose up for a little bit longer.

But in all other aspects I do like the D25 better. It manouvers suppricingly well and if you can use the instability to accellerate your reverse manouvers its really an awsome ride.

So I do actually use the D25 as my main A2A combat ride.

I said it struggles nose high. This doesnt mean you shouldnt go nose high. Because you should. I do it alot and I really mean alot. I push my baby as much as I can, ride her to the max in the nose high positions. Partially due to enemies underestimating the Jug so badly in the manouverability but mostly to keep the preasure on. If you keep the preasure on 7 of 10 pilots will panic and go nose low, this is when you use the instabilty to accellerate the manouver and drop right down on em and eat em.

Most important thing about the jug is its flaps and rudder. Its so damn powerfull. You improve your manouverabilty by several 100s of percent by using em proparly.

But on the D25 be very carefull about over deploying the flaps. Or rather be aware of huge instability when overdeploying flaps. Just as much as the instability can help you it can kill you and it will if you over deploy the flaps near the deck. Ofcourse you should be very carefull beeing near the deck in a jug.

If you are near the deck always push as much vertical out of it as you can, work as much ACMs as you can and totally avoid flat turns.

I have outmanouvered nikkies and P38s in slow deck fights but that was just because of them flat turning and me not. But its never ever recommendable to get stuck in one in a Jug. Because even if you happen to win it you will be stuck down low for such a long time.

Tex
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 06:43:23 AM by TexMurphy »

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
P47
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 06:56:10 AM »
Try http://www.telusplanet.net/~dsoder/models.htm for aircraft conpareisons.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
P47
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 12:35:46 PM »
that was very helpful guys, appreciate it alot.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
P47
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 07:23:37 PM »
blah blah there are many topics abotu this exact thing.  Look above see the button "search"? K click it then type in something like differences in p47 models.  Vuahla

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
P47
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »
Originally posted by YUCCA
blah blah there are many topics abotu this exact thing.  Look above see the button "search"? K click it then type in something like differences in p47 models.  Vuahla

Mr. Grumpy, wattsa matter your Jug not gettin enough spittage so it's gotten irregulare.................:D :p
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.