Author Topic: Peabody's latest and best video  (Read 1409 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Peabody's latest and best video
« on: June 09, 2005, 11:04:34 AM »
My latest and best lasts 10 minutes. It's a 640x480 resolution wmv movie recording a fantastic fight which I barely survived. I've compressed it down to 32 megabytes. Let me know what you think of it. You can find it here:

http://snowplow.org/bobbosen/AcesHigh/promo/

The name of the file you want is "PigFace640x480.wmv".

(You will have best luck if you RIGHT-CLICK on it and save a local copy before trying to view it.)

Regards,

-Peabody-

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 11:41:48 PM »
99 downloads so far....

..... and not one comment?

-Peabody-

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 10:15:37 AM »
Nice but im not sure if thats commecial material. One its too long, and another its not a classical matchup. I really love the voices tho and how did you make the gunfire look so real!

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 06:55:02 PM »
You asked if it is "commercial" material. No.... just done for fun. All of the sound was hand-edited. I inserted each individual sound effect, one at a time, from a library of "wav" files I've built up over the years.

Glad you enjoyed it.

As for not being a "classic" matchup; what exactly does that mean?

-Peabody-

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »
Like in world war 2 dont think 51s fought 38s. It was more like 38s and zekes, But i loved the film i watched the whole thing lol.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 10:56:06 PM »
Ah.... yes. P38s rarely fought P51s. Interestingly, there is at least one well-documented record of a P38 that attacked several B17s (and some B25s and B24s I think). It had been captured by an Italian who flew with the Axis powers and it was devastating because the American airmen who saw it coming didn't know it was flown by the enemy. The story of the way the Americans eventually tracked this guy down and defeated him is amazing (they baited him with nose art showing his WIFE, who was living in an Italian city that had been liberated).

Anyway....

You also asked "how did you make the gunfire look so real"?

Are you talking about MY gunfire at Pigface? Or his gunfire at me?

-Peabody-

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 12:33:28 PM »
hehe, typical 38 driver, lol

JK

I liked this part:"There is no way this 51 is going to turn with my 38 . . . . . . . . .   He is behind me, I am in troble" :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 06:58:34 PM »
cool stuff, but wish the video quality was better. Nice narrations, makes them much more entertaining.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 11:32:01 PM »
what are you using for a compression ratio?

you can keep a film pretty small, and keep the quality very good. You just have to play around a bit with compression.

what are you using to edit your films with?
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:59:38 PM »
Quoting:

"hehe, typical 38 driver, lol

JK

I liked this part:'There is no way this 51 is going to turn with my 38 . . . . . . . . . He is behind me, I am in troble'...."

Well, it's true that a low and slow P51 can turn with a P38.

If the P38's [over-strong force feedback] controls jam up for several seconds.

LOL!

-Peabody-

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 12:01:51 AM »
Quoting Amraam:

"cool stuff, but wish the video quality was better. Nice narrations, makes them much more entertaining."

I've just discovered Microsoft's free "Windows Media Encoder 9", which should allow me to produce a higher-quality version at a smaller size. I'll be attempting that soon and if the video quality is indeed better I'll re-post it.

-Peabody-

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 12:23:34 AM »
bbosen

U use a program for your maps how do u get the data?

<--------Dumb for me it just stays gray :(

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 07:32:12 AM »
My maps come from "AH Mapmaker". They say their data comes from USGS (United States Geological Survey) data, generally originating from satellite surveillance since about 1980.

-Peabody-

Offline Sparrow

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 12:27:06 AM »
Originally posted by bbosen
Ah.... yes. P38s rarely fought P51s. Interestingly, there is at least one well-documented record of a P38 that attacked several B17s (and some B25s and B24s I think). It had been captured by an Italian who flew with the Axis powers and it was devastating because the American airmen who saw it coming didn't know it was flown by the enemy. The story of the way the Americans eventually tracked this guy down and defeated him is amazing (they baited him with nose art showing his WIFE, who was living in an Italian city that had been liberated).

Anyway....

You also asked "how did you make the gunfire look so real"?

Are you talking about MY gunfire at Pigface? Or his gunfire at me?

-Peabody-

Might want to get that hook out of your mouth as it is a false story.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:gDkYQDVZD04J:[url]www.aviation-booklist.com/interviews/ferdinando.html[/url]

Booklist:

In Martin Caidin's "Fork-Tailed Devil: The P38" he recounts an incident regarding a captured P38 flown by a Captain Rossi and American intelligence efforts to lure it to destruction by means of his wife's picture painted on the nose of a YB-40. Please separate fact from fiction and give the true details of this "incident."

Ferdinando D'Amico:

Personally, I think people are probably bored with this topic, but you're doing right by discussing it in hopes that it might be possible to set the record straight once or all (I doubt we'll be successful as fiction is always more fascinating than facts, at least many think so...).

The whole matter is a textbook example of how "hearsay", stereotypes and no research could lead to a completely fabricated history.

The article (and later or earlier, the book and chapter) of Martin Caidin, was nothing else than the reprint of an even older article by Glenn Infield titled "One Of Our Own Planes Is Shooting Us Down!" (sic) and I must confess that IMHO it is the kind of "historical" research that causes more damage to history than anything else.

The P-38 mentioned in Caidin's "story" was captured on 12 June 1943 in Sardinia where a ferrying US pilot landed by mistake due to the malfunctioning of the compass. Thus, it became "property" of the Regia Aeronautica and was soon brought to the Italian Test Center of Guidonia (near Rome). This aircraft was flown - with Italian markings - by Col. Angelo Tondi (Chief test pilot of the center) in the Summer of 1943 in half a dozen scrambles against USAAF bombers attacking Rome and Central Italian targets.

On 11 August 1943 Col. Tondi intercepted off the coast the B-17F s/n 42-30307 of 419th BS, 301st BG and shot it down at 12.00 hrs*. This was the only successful interception completed by this aircraft and soon after the P-38 was grounded due to the bad quality of the Italian petrol that had corroded the fuel tanks.

* (cfr. Missing Air Crew Report n.490 available at the US National Archives - I own a copy of it)

All the above is also proved by photographic evidence, by the accounts of Col. Tondi and by the documents of the Guidonia Test Center reporting all the scrambles effected by the P-38. This material is available to researchers at the Italian Air Force Historical Branch, where I consulted it personally.

The "Captain Guido Rossi", the YB-40 and the soap-opera story of the former romance between the wife of the YB-40 pilot and the Italian pilot (!!) clearly are a joke, or should be... instead they were taken seriously and developed a life of their own. This should tell us a lot about the dangers of writing and spreading information that has not been checked or researched.

Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to accept this or to behave accordingly...

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 08:09:31 AM »
great movie peabody, good to see your still around