Author Topic: O'club  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2005, 05:59:32 AM »
well yeah the closing of this intardnet bbs affects me. If I was a girl I'd cry, but if I was a girl I wouldnt be posting here Id be in front of a mirror all day playing with my boobies.

oh damn I need a walk on the beach

you bastards you blew it up!
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2005, 06:15:53 AM »
GOOD, however it means the crap is going to come here...... thats not a GOOD thing:o
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
O'club
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2005, 06:38:58 AM »
So, I am getting my basement done and have the flight gear put away. I still have the account open as it has been since the day we had to start paying.

In the interim all I can do is read the boards. If a topic is out of hand 99.9 percent of the time I ignore it.  I would like HTC to know that I too am in favor of having the o'club back.

Don't waste time having an employee of yours moderate it. Give mod powers to several responsible players who post regularily. Another good idea that your competitor (ww2online) does is require a subscription to post.

What better way to get rid of half of the O'Club than to require they pay a monthly fee. Make the fee for the O'Club the same as the game. And of course the rules are clearly posted so that if they try the 'I pay for this and can do what I want' crap, you can ban them and keep their money

So, start charging, get some mods and re-open the O'club please....

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2005, 06:39:37 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Y'all think YOU feel bad?

How would you feel if, throughout 5+ years and who knows how many posts there, your very last post, evar, turns out to be: "Lazs wins."

I tell ya, someone upstairs has a sick sense of humor!

:D

The Horror
The Horror
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2005, 06:46:33 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
This was sad news to wake up too.

Can't really blame them for closing it, but its still a shame. Gotten to know a few nice people there and even a few evil once :D, but nothing lasts forever.

HTC and users.

:)

Gotta say Nilsen,

You always seemed like the kind of guy one could sit down and have a few dozen beers with and just know one would end up pissing their pants from laughter.

to the most used and abused face in AH

You take a joke very well.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2005, 07:02:39 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Gotta say Nilsen,

You always seemed like the kind of guy one could sit down and have a few dozen beers with and just know one would end up pissing their pants from laughter.

to the most used and abused face in AH

You take a joke very well.

ditto drediock :)

As long as you keep the piss in your own pants and dont spray me then who knows, maybe some day i'll jump the pond and buy you a beer.

Some day at a convention yall will here a racket at the door and some screems from the chicks in the lobby. If that ever happens you know a drunk norwegian viking is fighting security to get in. ;)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
O'club
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2005, 07:13:12 AM »
In my experience a permanent shutdown of a "out of topic" forum hurts the entire community and the entire forum.

By forbidding a "out of topic" forum one forbidds out of topic discussions on the entire forums. This causes a problem because the communit is more then just flying. Suddenly you will see "Happy Birthday" posts in the general discussions where they really dont belong and a line has to be drawn what is out of topic and what isnt.

Drawing that line too tight will cause a huge uproar in the community while too loose will cause the forum in question to loose its focus and hence degenerate.

Personally I do think out of topic forums are needed but they should be moderated. This way the on topic forums will stay on topic and there will be swinging room for out of topic discussions but its possible to keep it in check.

The problem is time and resources for the moderation. Nothing is worse then inconsistent moderation. If the moderator doesnt spend enough time moderating the posters wount know what is a acceptable level.

Knid of like a inconsistent ref in a hockey game. If the players dont know what rules apply because they fluctuate the game always turns into a brawl.

Using community members as moderators can be tricky as well because the risk is imminent that they will play favorites with their friends and squadies. Plus that if community members are to moderate you will need at least 4-5 of them so that the moderation level can be constantly high. This causes another problem which is that each moderator will possibly set his own standard.

THough I still recommend that you select community members that do moderator work in the o'club but give them directives which they must comply to. But please dont do it the way many complanies do "Its not allowed to say " but instead do it based on content.

Purely moderation based on usage of words is totally meaning less as its possible to insult someone to the point of suicide with use of biblically clean and well formulated english. While at the other hand saying pooop in a post can be totally harmless. Ofcourse rude language and flames often go hand in hand but still the root problem is always the content of the post not the words.

Tex

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2005, 07:27:39 AM »

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2005, 07:35:47 AM »
In the 5 years of posting in here I've grown close to many in the O'Club Community.

It came to realization when I lost my Brother, the O'Club Community helped me keep it together.  When I fractured my back last July the O'Club Community helped me bare the pain.

And just recently the death of my Niece, the O'Club Community has helped not only myself but also my Sister-in-Law.

Learned alot, laughed until I was in tears, prayed for others Family members whom I never met but felt as tho they were Family.

Dale, Doug and Roy please don't kill the O'Club Community.  The idea of having a few of us as Moderators sounds good.

Mac

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
O'club
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2005, 07:37:57 AM »
Community moderators should be elected by the BBS community.  Of course HTC could reject anyone who is elected.   This will take the perceived accountability off of HTC.  Appointing mods will most likely come back to bite you.  

The closing of the O-Club is a huge loss to our community, and will indirectly lower your customer base by at least a tad.  You need the O-Club, we need the O-Club, let us police it.

eskimo (not a Skuzzy-wanna-be)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2005, 07:49:42 AM »
In the meantime I'm at a bar stool over at 6Gun's place.

http://www.usmcsquad.com/bbs2/

No different than having a favorite bar close and finding a new place to hang out.   I see eskimo's been there.

Give HTC time to decide whatever it is they're gonna do.   Took me less than 5 minutes to activate an account at 6Gun's.   The camo wallpaper is cool.   Makes me feel like a hardprettythang already.

Thanks 6Gun for going to the trouble to set it up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 07:54:37 AM by oboe »

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
O'club
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2005, 07:58:26 AM »
LOL, have any of you guys gone back over and looked at the O'Club? Its been open for a while now.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
O'club
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2005, 08:04:25 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
LOL, have any of you guys gone back over and looked at the O'Club? Its been open for a while now.

You did not get anyone with the first cast so you throw the stinky bait back in?

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
O'club
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2005, 08:07:24 AM »
That's a shame, I've had some good discussions in there over the years. But it is not the place it was back in 2000, and neither is the crowd to a large extent.

Vulcan summed it up quite well - I was only hanging around for ToD.

all
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:11:25 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2005, 08:14:44 AM »
Man..  You mean I could have been contributing to the debilitation of the O'club's final days?? lol  Damn the things you miss out on..  lol

lol  Hope the OC comes back but I am happy I had no part in it's demise.. lol