Author Topic: British Night bombing  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Kurfürst

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.kurfurst.org
British Night bombing
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 10:08:33 AM »
Two wrongs just doesn`t make one good.

BTW... V-1 and V-2`s designation stands for 'Weapon of Retribution'. Retribution for what, hmm?

And I also think you need a lot more reading on London and Conventry.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:11:19 AM by Kurfürst »
The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site
http://www.kurfurst.org

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 10:23:15 AM »
Kurfurst,

Yes, they did miss absolutely horribly in the early war, and yes they did (wrongly we know now) target cities.  That is all true.  It is also true that the USAAF also targeted whole cities at times.

But it is also true that they targeted specific things like factories and rail yards at night with accuracy eqivilent to the USAAF daylight raids.  I have seen some of the before and after photos of these targets.  They are not citiy sized and they are moonscapes after the raid, not just a couple of bomb craters out of the hundreds dropped.

To push one and omit the other only illustrates your bias.  Your claim that they could only hit cities is demostratably false, not that I expect you to believe anything other than what you wish to and what reinforces the version of history that you prefer.

I put it to you, if the British were so fond of manipulating statistics to make them sound better, why didn't they tidy up their own reports about their absolutely useless "accuracy" in the early war?

FWIW, I agree with you about the waste of resources that Bomber Command was, as it was operated.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 11:44:32 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Its not that hard to fire bomb apartment blocks 'accurately'...

Heh.  As we proved to Japan, starting on March 9, 1945.

- oldman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Heh.  As we proved to Japan, starting on March 9, 1945.

- oldman

Funny how that concept of "total war" works isn't it.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2005, 12:14:33 PM »
Yeah, the RAF officials came up with nice 'statistics' after the war to prove how much more accurate the Bomber Command was than the USAAF during the daylight.

The statistics were from the United States Strategic Bombing Survey.

But one just wonder, if they had so brilliant bombing technique, why is it that even in 1945 they did nothing else than area bombing and piling up hills from the bodies dead civillians?

They didn't.

About a third of RAF tonnage in 1944 and 1945 went on German cities, with 2 thirds on other target types. (eg about 96,000 tons on oil targets)

Most of that wasn't night bombing nor was it standard level bombing. It's a stupid comparison

Okay, what about the USSBS figures. It's a comparison they chose, and it's from their summary.

Or look at the operations over France and the Netherlands, where the USAAF had a terrible record of inflicting "collateral damage", far worse than the RAF.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2005, 03:58:37 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Most of that wasn't night bombing nor was it standard level bombing. It's a stupid comparison.

I'm not sure it is.

It's a statement of what bomber command was capable of; not what they actualy did.

What bomber command did was what ever they wanted to; when ever they wanted.

Flattening German cities is no measure of the achievable accuracy; because flattening German cities is exactly what Harris wanted to do. (ipso facto: target achieved).

And when Bomber command wanted to be more precise; well, then they were.

Let's be fair; I'm by no means claiming smart bomb precision; especialy in the early years; but nonetheless; Bomber command hit what they wanted; when they wanted; losses were immaterial to Harris as they were to Zukov (sp?); so long as the mission was achieved.

Almost a centuary later we can discuss strategic effectivness and moral comparisons; but they were not the issues of the day.

We Brits just wanted to kill Jerry in large numbers; and we did.

Makes you glad for the EU; no?

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
British Night bombing
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2005, 04:00:28 PM »
I think its pretty much accepted that massive RAF raids agin German cities were in Harris's own words targetted at the German people......... he considered attacks against strategic targets a waste of time. His preferred targets were cities not factories.

The RAF never got the Sperry or Norden bomb sight it was considered top secret by the US until the war end.......

The RAF made major improvements in bombing accuracy during pre DDay bombing of strategic targets in France this was day light or dawn/dusk and much lower than the norm.

The RAF bombed Germany (Rhine/Rhur) from 16K (lancasters) and 14K (halifaxes) during night time raids. On one occasion my father (in a Halifax)was forced below 11K by lead and slowed to some silly speed (which I cant remember) dropping bombs from 10k with wheels down to concentrate the pattern.

Only few lead navigation air craft were fitted with sophisticated air to ground radar for  the purposes of bomb aiming....in the main it was about navigation to target zone.

The US dropped from 20K or above.

When looking at RAF and RCAF bomber command losses you have to factor in survival chances in 40 to 43 agin survival chances 43 to 45.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Kurfürst

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2005, 04:14:01 PM »
Originally posted by Tilt
The RAF never got the Sperry or Norden bomb sight it was considered top secret by the US until the war end.......

How ironic... a german-american working in the Norden factory already sent the plans home before the war even started...

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
British Night bombing
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »
Originally posted by Kurfürst
How ironic... a german-american working in the Norden factory already sent the plans home before the war even started...

nothing new there then!
Ludere Vincere

Offline Kurfürst

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 04:38:40 PM »
However, afaik the RAF developed it`s own gyro gunsight in 1943, similiar to the German Lofte or the American Norden.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 10:01:01 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Funny how that concept of "total war" works isn't it.

Dan/CorkyJr

I just have to wonder how bad the Axis was to let the totally
skilless, clueless American horde beat them?  I mean, gee whiz,
you know the Americans never did ANYTHING to win the war.  It's
a darn good thing the rest of the allies were there to save our
bacon.

Just ask anyone on the eastern side of the atlantic, it's a
complete mystery.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 02:26:29 AM »
Originally posted by Rino
skilless, clueless American horde beat them?  I mean, gee whiz,
you know the Americans never did ANYTHING to win the war.  It's
a darn good thing the rest of the allies were there to save our
bacon.

Just ask anyone on the eastern side of the atlantic, it's a
complete mystery.

What!?!

This is, erm, out of left field.   Could you clarify what you are talking about/objecting too please.

Thanks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 04:25:19 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker
I'm not sure it is.

It's a statement of what bomber command was capable of; not what they actually did.

What bomber command did was what ever they wanted to; when ever they wanted.

Flattening German cities is no measure of the achievable accuracy; because flattening German cities is exactly what Harris wanted to do. (ipso facto: target achieved).

And when Bomber command wanted to be more precise; well, then they were.

Let's be fair; I'm by no means claiming smart bomb precision; especialy in the early years; but nonetheless; Bomber command hit what they wanted; when they wanted; losses were immaterial to Harris as they were to Zukov (sp?); so long as the mission was achieved.

Almost a centuary later we can discuss strategic effectivness and moral comparisons; but they were not the issues of the day.

We Brits just wanted to kill Jerry in large numbers; and we did.

Makes you glad for the EU; no?

Well I am glad at least one Brit on this forums agrees. For the record the allies didn't even charge the Nazi's with war crimes related to the bombing of cities and civilians. However, moral relativism aside it's still a huge black mark of the western allies.

My point to you was that the three examples you gave aren't covered under the topic heading.

But since you brought them up, what do your three examples show?

Let's take them one by one:

the Dams:

The objective was to destroy the dams and knock out the electricity generated to the Ruhr industries...

What it accomplished was it killed a bunch of civilians. Ruhr industry was hardly effected.

Not only that but the loss of pilots and crews were hardly worth killing those civilians.

sub pens:

What sub pens were closed by the RAF?

Answer is none. In fact some were still in operation in France at the time of surrender.

Tirpitz:

You really think that was a 'success'? Look at all the resources that the RAF had tied up going after a single ship that was for the most part contained and posed little threat at that stage of the war.

The facts are the Bomber Command was more effective in fire bombing apartment blocks then anything else they 'accomplished'.

They didn't hit whatever they want and  that which they did hit took considerable effort.

The goal of Harris was to win the war by  killing as many people as possible so that the Germans give up. It didn't and it never could have happened.

I think its pretty much accepted that massive RAF raids agin German cities were in Harris's own words targetted at the German people......... he considered attacks against strategic targets a waste of time. His preferred targets were cities not factories.

Tilt is correct. When Harris was told to move resources over to help hit the transportation hubs just prior to D-day he through a fit and thought that he was wasting his effort. He felt if he was allowed to continue fire bombing German civilians he could win the war.

He learned his trade during the inter-war years when the Brits used gas bombs dropped from RAF bombers on Muslims villages to keep them in line.

His goal was to kill err... 'de-house' civilians.

skilless, clueless American horde beat them?

This thread has nothing to do with Americans. Its entitled:

British Night bombing

Americans didn't win WW2 all by themselves regardless of what you may have seen in the movies or on the history channel.

Offline bob149

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
British Night bombing
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 06:27:01 AM »
gas bombs on muslims ? not heard that one before

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
British Night bombing
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 06:35:03 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
What!?!

This is, erm, out of left field.   Could you clarify what you are talking about/objecting too please.

Thanks.

It's just a average whine because everyone is not spending every waking minute telling the Americans how wonderful they are and how we all owe them...well just about everything.

America entered and fought WW2 for it's own interests and to further those interests, as did every other combatant in just about every other war.