Author Topic: The Lost Battalion  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
The Lost Battalion
« on: December 03, 2001, 12:27:00 AM »
Did anyone see this? I thought it was an excellent movie. One of the best WWI movies I've seen (and yes I've seen the original All's Quiet).
I'll give the acting a B. I felt that some of the mentioning of the multi-ethinic aspect of the group was a little much. But all in all it was good.

What I did love was the uniforms and equipment. I didn't see any mistakes in 2 hours of movie. True, I'm guessing that they correctly portrayed a German flame-thrower, but the guns, uniforms and everything else was very well done. Colt 1911's and S&W .38's, correct Springfields and a Hotchkiss.

I liked it.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
I saw some of that! I stopped though as it was very late for me and I'd also come in at about the 3/4 mark. I would much rather catch it from the start. It appeared to be very well done and the combat scenes in partiuclar were pretty real looking...if not gruesome.

Westy

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Is this on TV?

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
I thought it was very good.

Regarding uniforms...I thought they got the German helmets wrong.  Didn't the German's have the "pointy" helmets in WW1?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2001, 10:32:00 AM »
Yah skernsk... at the very beginning of the war the heinies had the pointy helmets; many years before the US got into it.

I too enjoyed the weapons; their use and the historical accuracy... even the German sniper was right on the money. Best descriptive and depcitive use of the .45 Colt I've ever seen. That POS french LMG, and the troop squeakin about it made me smile. The 308th got it's BAR's AFTER that fight. Pity; that.

All in all, I agree with Dune.. well done technicly, average acting. FYI, that was the last time in US history that units were compiled from a geographical area ala civil war style. The 308th WAS a NYC unit, with NYC officers and they considered themselves to be one bad-assed unit. History agrees.  ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2001, 10:34:00 AM »
Skernsk, Hang's correct; Imperial German troops stopped wearing the spike in 1916-17. The action portrayed here took place during 1918.

BTW, IIRC, you'll notice that the stormtroops' helmets had lugs on the sides. I believe that regular inf units did not have those. But I'm not completely sure.

Kratzer, it's being shown on A&E.  If you check their website, they'll probably tell you when it's on next.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
http://www.aande.com/tv/shows/battalion/

Look the title up on thier monthly schedule and you will see it is on several more times this month.

Westy

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
thx

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
I watched it twice last night  :) bad bellybutton movie, the best ww1 movie I've seen.  To me it was the ww1 version of SPR or BoB.   Also the acting was the only thing that bothered me.  Their dialects didn't seem to match early 20th century to me.  Ricky did an outstanding job though, anybody remember him in that movie the champ? hehe

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2001, 01:55:00 PM »
I thought it was good too....

In particular I liked the fact that that one guy was complaining about having to use that French LMG.....they really did SUCK apparently!!!

Didn't like the fact that it hinted that the fight for that one area was portrayed as "what won the war"....tanks won the war, not a few Americans holding out in the woods.  A bit too "Gung Ho...Yankee doodle" A&E for me......they should have has Spielburg directing it...he might have toned down the patriotic stuff a bit.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
i liked the german officer's comment about the "new york gangsters".

every one know who won the war , it was the marines in bellue wood that won the war.

44MAG
former USMC

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Curval,

There were a lot of things that contributed to the end of WW1, but I don't think tanks were one of them.  

In fact, they only had an influence at Cambrai.  And there 90% of them had broken down after a few thousand yards.  They broke open the line, but the Germans were able to hold the edges, throw in reserve units and plug the gap.

Except for that one instance, no one had an understanding of how to use them and the tanks weren't reliable, fast or armed enough to really change a battle.

I would attribute the end of WW1 more to the effects it was having on the German home front than anything else.  Although Germany's defeat can be seen all the way back to their adherence to von Schlieffen's  plan.  It had a fatal flaw in how it planned to deal with France first than Russia (figuring Russia couldn't mobilize in time).  The flaw that there was no way to get enough troops to the front in time to continue all the way to Paris.  Eventually lack of rail and roadways starved the front and the German army couldn't surround Paris and protect its flank on the Channel coast (along with holdups crossing Belgium).

Let me suggest a book to you, it's John Keegan's The First World War.  It explains in wonderfull detail how the war started and how it was fought.  By the time the book is done, you've spent most of your time shaking your head.  It could have been stopped before it begain rather easily, but communications and diplomatic protocal prevented it.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
Yea...I oversimplified about the ending of the war....in much the same way as Lost Battalion did!

Thanks for the reference material.....I'm always willing to learn!
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Curval:
...tanks won the war, not a few Americans holding out in the woods...

That is not true. Tanks were barely able to break defence once when they were not expected. After that anti-tank defences like trenches and artillery had no problem dealing with those that did not break up by themselves.
 In no way were tanks ready to do deep raids which made them strategical force in WWII.
 In fact, introduction of a flamethrower made much deeper impression on people at that time then half-baked tanks or even poison gas.

In fact the failure of the german offencive in 1918 (may well have been due to americans holding out) prompted german high command to advise government to ask for armistice. When in a few days Ludendorf realized the situation is no way as bad as it appeared and the war could be prolonged on the new stable front (still in the enemy territory), it was too late - the home front morale collapsed, govermnent fell, revolution started, etc...
 Read memoirs of german soldiers - many believe that if not for the home politics, the war was far from over.

Germans could have held for quite a while longer and gotten much better surrender terms.
 Of course they had a new Southern Front with the collapse of Austria, but the allies had not yet started to exploit it.

Austria was out of the war but so was Russia. In fact russian bolshevics were interested in prolonging the world war. For that reason not only did they unilateraly signed peace with Germany and refused to participate in the spoils of inevitable allied victory, they gave up almost the whole Ukraine with lots of resources and paid lot of gold to Germany - just so that germany could continue the war.

If Ludendorf did not broke his own country morale, the world map could have been much different today.

If you need more details on that, check "Strategy" by Liddel Hart.

miko

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
The Lost Battalion
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2001, 05:11:00 PM »
Watched it last night. Pretty decent movie even though Ricky Schroeder bugs the toejam out of me.