Author Topic: "IT" Revealed!  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
"IT" Revealed!
« on: December 03, 2001, 05:20:00 AM »
Time Article

Well at last we know what it is, and if you ask me, seems pretty cool.
Cant wait to ride one.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
And it can carry the average rider for a full day, nonstop, on only five cents' worth of electricity.

... it also feeds the populace with a few fishes and performs other minor miracles... :D :D :D

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
Ah.. this happend some time ago Animal.  Damn.  Though, I wouldn't expect you to recieve word of it in that third world country of yours for a year.  Guess the timing was about right.

AKDejaVu

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
This thing is cool, until the first person get's side swiped by an 18 wheeler or big pick up truck.  Great for college or shopping I bet  :) make a 1 ton version and I'm an owner  ;)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
think they left off two other letters - "sh"

rich boy play toy...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
No, no, the real "it" was on Southpark a couple of weeks ago, and the inventor is Mr. Garrison, not that dweeb.  :p
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline 38isPorked

• Zinc Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
Another useless invention.

It is wonderful for people with disabilities, probably also for those too fat to move without mechanical help (though id probably laugh my bellybutton off if I saw one of those riding that poor lil' thing).

But for the average person? Cmon, those sneakers with built-in roller skate wheels are far better.

What would happen IF (and I believe it wont) this thing does become common use? People would not even WALK anymore. The next "IT" in the series will come with catheter and anal prod for balancing and permanent usage     :rolleyes:

But the tech used in it could be used somewhere else. If he could make something that saves so much power and has such an advanced balancing system, i'd say powered legs arent that far away. Other nerds at MIT have been struggling with an exoskeletal powered legs that would be worn over the legs of those paralyzed below the waist, and those things would allow the person to walk normally...problems they've had were BALANCING and POWER.

Take that toejamty scooter apart and use it for something better I say.

"Capping months of speculation about his mysterious innovation, an accomplished inventor unveiled the device Monday - a one-person, battery-powered scooter that he claims will revolutionize transportation. Inventor Dean Kamen and his backers have big hopes for the agile Segway Human Transporter, saying the scooter will displace awkward, polluting cars, leading to a realigned cityscape that is more people-friendly"

Revolutionize transportation? Oh yes, im sure ill get one to get to work at a whopping 12 mph. Displace cars? Yeah right. Realigned city-scape? Laughable.

This picture definetely deserves a round of  "CAPTION THIS". See the new thread.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: 38 ]

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
I guess the inventor thinks America only lives in huge cities with sprawling downtowns and short WALKS to work.  30 minute walk to work?  I've got a 30 minute drive in my car to work, I'm sure some of you have longer commutes.  IT has no useful application in my life, heck nearest fast food place is like 3 miles away.  that's still what, 10-15 minutes on IT?  No thanks, not worth $3000 to me
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
Check out the video here:
 http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011203/ts/secret_invention.html

Sure, $3000 is a bit much and most people won't shell out the cash for such a "toy" but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the price drop dramatically in the next five years.

This is a truly remarkable invention, IMNSHO.
sand

Offline 38isPorked

• Zinc Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2001, 11:50:00 AM »
I have to ask..what's remarkable about it?

For the avg healthy person that is.

Offline 38isPorked

• Zinc Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2001, 11:53:00 AM »
"The Postal Service and the City of Atlanta will be among the first purchasers, buying 80-pound heavy-duty models for $8,000 apiece, Chapman said"

Uh oh.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by 38:
[QB]Another useless invention.... I have to ask..what's remarkable about it?[QB]

The inventor apparently holds several honorary doctorates and many extemely usefull inventions under his belt - most of them in medical equipment.
 He and a few other most smart and successfull people in US think it is a remarkable device.
 What do you have in way of credentials or expertise on transportation and city-planning?

I would buy it if it works as advertised.

Nifty: I guess the inventor thinks America only lives in huge cities with sprawling downtowns and short WALKS to work.
 I guess you did not bother to read the news article. Otherwise you would not have to guess what the inventor thinks.

miko

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2001, 12:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by 38:
I have to ask..what's remarkable about it?

For the avg healthy person that is.

Watch the video. Check out the balance and maneuverability.

Here's some more info: http://www.segway.com
sand

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by 38:
"The Postal Service and the City of Atlanta will be among the first purchasers, buying 80-pound heavy-duty models for $8,000 apiece, Chapman said"

Uh oh.

what, one letter at a time? Maybe "IT" comes with an "IT" red wagon attachment.
it's a toy, a neat toy but still a toy - I thought "IT" was gonna be a cure for cancer or something to better civilization. Not a glorified stand up "Hover Round" for fat tulips now to lazy or out of shape to put one foot in front of the other...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
"IT" Revealed!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
I want my rocket backpack; anti-grav; and a star trek style transporter.

Send the nerds back into the shop.  :D
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.