Author Topic: Saitek-X52  (Read 864 times)

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Saitek-X52
« on: June 18, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »
Hey people,

did a search on the forum but didnt find what I've been looking for.

I have read several testreports on that joystick, and one detail concerned me a bit.
It was about the comparative "sponginess" of the stick-spring compared to the X45.
Any truth to that?
I remember that old CH flighstick Pro (I think it was called), based on the 2 button flightstick, just with an additional hat and 2 more buttons. Latter one had the same spring, but a waaay too heavy head.

So how about the X52? Does it feel "right"?

Regards and thanks!

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 04:29:53 PM »
I hated mine. Was using an old SW PP2 force feedback and thought it was time to retire it(buttons not working, hat goin out, etc.). Went out and spent $100+ on the X-52, gave it a few weeks and just didn't work for me. Then went and bought a cheapy $10 SW PP2 that I love. Mine was very "spongey", I'd have to pull way back to start getting a response from it. I might have just gotten a bad one though and it's just my opinion. I'm sure many on here love theirs. If you get one, I'd just make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

I will say I really enjoyed the joystick button setup overall. Once you got use to it, you could play basically hands free of the keyboard. Just wish the stick itself woulda impressed me more.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:44:17 AM »
Hmmm ok!

Seems like there is truth to that.....

Thanks a lot, SuperDud!

Noone else?

Regards!

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:23:45 PM »
Sled, a squad mate of mine swears by his.  I haven't asked him about the stick pressure qualities, but I am sure he would say the other improvements it has out weighs the differences over the X45 which is what he used to use.  I bet it is just a matter of getting used to it.  Hey, I am finally used to my X45 rocker rudder.:)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:10:45 PM »
I have both but use my X45

I understand the later versions of the X52 are better than the earlier versions as they have corrected a deadpan issue with it but the spring is still too lite for my taste but then again I have had X45's since they replaced my X36, what 5 years now?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 10:30:10 PM »
The X-52 is a big step back from the X-45 overall. The spring is so light that using the twisty throttle is awful tough. I put my propedals back in use (actually had reached a point that I liked the "rocker" on the X-45).

If you have pedals and are ok with a stick with almost zero resistance you'll be fine. But if you like a bit stiffer spring your toast.

Personally if I had it the chance to "redo" I'd just get an X-45 again....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »
After trying out the X-52 in the store, I ordered a second X-45 from E-bay.  Had thought about letting the son use the 45, and I would get the "new" one, but, like others have said, I also felt that the 52's stick was way to light - like you were just wiggliing a stick with zero resistance.  This was a while back, so they may have corrected it like Eagler said, but for now, I'll stick with the X-45 with CH pedals.

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:52:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I really have to try it out myself how it feels to me.

Nevertheless, thanks for the feedback :)

Regards!

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:51:03 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
I have both but use my X45

I understand the later versions of the X52 are better than the earlier versions as they have corrected a deadpan issue with it but the spring is still too lite for my taste but then again I have had X45's since they replaced my X36, what 5 years now?

Can someone please explain to me this whole deadpan thing in laymen's/borderline-imbecile terms?  I'm getting used to the X52 (early serial number) but apparently there is something wrong with it that I don't know to notice?
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:09:53 PM »
from what i read, ppl were complaining about having to move the stick alot to register any kind of change in movement in windows calibration window and their game...

I found my X52, also under the "early serial numbers" with too sensitive center making it very hard to aim

and the rotors on the X52 did not work for me as trims as well as the ones on the X45
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 02:38:37 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
Can someone please explain to me this whole deadpan thing in laymen's/borderline-imbecile terms?  I'm getting used to the X52 (early serial number) but apparently there is something wrong with it that I don't know to notice?

Mine was also an early model one. Basically the problems for me were no real spring tension and the one that put me off, a large area of dad band. I could move the jstick about 3/4ths through it's range of motion and get no response. It would all be within the last 1/4th range which made it all but impossible to fly let alone dogfight and aim. I know another guy who bought his early on as well and he has no problems and loves his. I think it was luck of the draw and I lost:)
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 07:43:29 PM »
basicly what the others are saying is.

If you can afford it, go for the CH set :)
i have an analog set that after 5 years still does the job, best purchase i ever did :)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 07:46:10 PM »
I got an x52 along with CH usb peddles at the same time about 2 weeks ago. In the game under the joystick setup for deadbands and such I set the sliders for roll and pitch all across the board up to 100 and the dead band and damping down to 0.

If you have learned not to use a heavy hand on your joystick, the feed back from the spring and the response to axis inputs is sensative but not so that it gets in the way of how smooth the response is. There is absolutely no nose bounce. The scrollers work for pitch and roll trim. Never calibrate the stick and throttle inside AH. Only do it in control panel. Calibrating in AH makes the stick too sensative and throws of the scrollers point of center, and makes them too sensative.

I had to install the CH control manager to correct an input issue in AH for the left peddle. You might find in the select joystick menu that the left peddle will not input below 775. When I installed the CH control panel and calibrated the peddles from the "control panel", AH then saw the left peddle go down to "0" at the end of its input slide.

I've goofed in the past and performed a calibration in AH. You can correct it by deleting the stick.cfg file and restarting the game. A new file will be generated and if you need to you can re-map any joystick, throttle, or rudder peddle inputs.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
I have an x52 and bustr is right, you have to put all sliders up to 100 and deadband to 0 to get this stick to perform well.  After I did this, its actually not too bad...

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Saitek-X52
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
So I take it, the throttle is, due to its trimwheels, pretty good, but the stick itself is good but not good enough?
How is the precision of it?

Looking to replace my Logitech cordless, which is pretty precise.