Author Topic: Change in 30mm damage?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2005, 11:12:31 AM »
Originally posted by Howitzer
Yeah yeah... I think he got his wheels up on one of the passes, so actually the plane WAS in the air, and it wasn't technically a vulch.

You see this is all just a big misunderstanding..  ;)

:lol :lol , np,i would do the same,
i deserve that, i'm the dweeb upping caped bases, HOing vulchers in IL2, but is part of the fun,

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2005, 01:19:41 PM »
I guess the real intent of the post started from a picture that I saw on the aircraft and vehicles forum about a year or so ago where it showed some RAF plane that got hit in front of the tail section but behind wings (I guess you could say fuselage?) by a german 30mm HE round and it literally blew a 5'x6' hole in the side of the plane.  You could look at one side and see out the other.  If these rounds really did that much damage, how in the world could one just knock out the oil with out ripping the front right off the plane?

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2005, 01:51:58 PM »
Originally posted by ghi
:lol :lol , np,i would do the same,
i deserve that, i'm the dweeb upping caped bases, HOing vulchers in IL2, but is part of the fun,

Il2s seem to have become the base defense choice of late.   :lol    I should know... I think we traded pelts several times at A117 last night ghi.  I was... err... trying to suppress individuals wanting to thwart our efforts at taking it.  A great defense you had there.  

My highlight was the formation of B24s on the runway which attracted one of my 1000lb gifts :D
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2005, 02:09:13 PM »
If these rounds really did that much damage, how in the world could one just knock out the oil with out ripping the front right off the plane?

Yeah, I've seen the same thing you're describing and I've seen similar cannon damage pictures (on B17s) at Dave's Warbirds (damaged B17) page  

Some amazing stuff there.  :eek:
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2005, 08:55:31 AM »
Minengeschoss!

Don't mind me am just passing through. ;)

Offline ThunderEGG

• Copper Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2005, 12:13:22 PM »
Normally it does not take a lot of hits on one wing of a B24 to bring it down with my Yak-9U. With a couple I shot down yesterday, two seperate sorties, I burned up most of my ammo on them, and the hits were concentrated, not spattered all over the place.

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2005, 08:25:57 PM »
30mm sux here...always have ...always will. layed em b4 from one end of a buff to the other ..including wing tip to wing tip and often they just fly away scratching their nards like a flea just bit em.

Seen book of RAF tests of the german 30mm  "mines"  a single hit to spit and basically ripped it in two, a single hit to fuselage of b17 and blew a hole big enough to drive a vw bug thru.  .. here they just loosen a couple of rivits 1/2 the time.  Dont get me wrong taken alot of buffs down with 30mm but takes alot of them most of the time untill you learn to aim for wing tips or forward fuselage...maybe its a sprite thing ..i know its not my conn. i've tested that with network monitoring .

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2005, 10:33:14 PM »
I guess the real intent of the post started from a picture that I saw on the aircraft and vehicles forum about a year or so ago where it showed some RAF plane that got hit in front of the tail section but behind wings (I guess you could say fuselage?) by a german 30mm HE round and it literally blew a 5'x6' hole in the side of the plane.  You could look at one side and see out the other.  If these rounds really did that much damage, how in the world could one just knock out the oil with out ripping the front right off the plane?

Frankly, I doubt that a single 30mm would do damage to that extent. More likely that was aero damage initiated by a cannon hit. I've seen bird strikes that caused extensive aero damage.

There's not a whole lot of explosive in a 30mm round. Compare it to the M406 40mm grenade (M79 launcher, M203 rifle/grenade launcher) which has considerably more explosive, but is generally only lethal within 3 meters.

Engines, especially liquid cooled engines, have a robust block and mounting frame, and a single 30mm round will not rip the engine from the airframe. R2800 radials sucked up larger caliber hits than that and continued to run, albeit missing a cylinder jug or two.

30mm can do severe airframe damage, but light gauge aluminum sheet metal can be penetrated by a hard-thrown screwdriver. Engine blocks are a heck of a lot tougher.

You gents grossly over-estimate the explosive power of these rounds.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 12:37:56 AM »
watch your film.. you probably killed their engines
Army of Muppets

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
Change in 30mm damage?
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 02:52:12 AM »
and Hurr D FOR DEATH s 40 mils dont work?....
this  was 1 PASS!!!! 3 .-.30 mils hit his dome..and he poppped

these were unleashed at a Hi Angle of Attack..which is pretty much mandatory for DEEP Penetration...hmm thats dirty