Author Topic: How to Kill a CAP [film]  (Read 2637 times)

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 06:10:27 AM »
what do those settings do. I changed mine to those, and see no diffrence. I have a cyborg evo.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 06:52:45 AM »
Originally posted by jetb123
what do those settings do. I changed mine to those, and see no diffrence. I have a cyborg evo.

it maximizes your stick's input to 100%

from the pics , I'd be guessing Levi is very light handed on his stick, almost using his absolute mind control power. so it seems. :D

:p

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 07:54:08 AM »
My stick is already sensitive as is, and i love it.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 12:51:25 PM »
I had my X45 setup like that and liked it. But now I get tons of spikes and had to adjust for that. I've gone through five or six of them. They keep dieing due to some electrical problem somewhere. I want to get a CH setup or even something a little less, but I'm afraid that it would burn up too. At least I still have warranty on this...
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »
First after reseting my stick to match Levi's my first flight netted 5 kills and an assist. Granted I don't think any of the enemy pilots were of the higher caliber, it still gives me hope  :)

I don't know much about the Saitek sticks, but from those I do know that have them, they suggest you get the extra warrenty. When...note I didn't say "if"... it fails you just pick up a new one.

OZ, if ya can afford a CH set-up go for it ! I won't say it lasts for ever, but I'm still flying with the same "analog" set I was using at the end of AWIII and its still going strong...no spikes, tho I do have to recal the rudders now and then but I think thats an interface problem having to do with the "analog" set-up in an XP machine.

Thanks again Levi !

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 09:44:17 AM »
Happy to help, guys!  I'm glad to hear that the film and the stick scalings are helping many of you to turn the corner and, hopefully, go beyond whatever plateau you'd previously reached.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2005, 09:46:29 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
I had my X45 setup like that and liked it. But now I get tons of spikes and had to adjust for that. I've gone through five or six of them. They keep dieing due to some electrical problem somewhere. I want to get a CH setup or even something a little less, but I'm afraid that it would burn up too. At least I still have warranty on this...
If your 14, unless your a Overgrown Sasquatch. A ch setup will be WAY to big for your hands. I went to Frys the other day played with the petals throttle and joystick. I couldnt reach most of the hats, and if i tried it felt like my thumb was about to be pulled out of its socket. I have heard of people putting push ups on there sitcks tho so it fits better...

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2005, 10:06:27 AM »
Levi:
I haven't watched the film yet, but based on the rave reviews I will later when I get home.

I used to have my stick scaling set the same way, but was convinced by a squaddie that was the cause of a lot of blackouts I was having.  After reading what you wrote, I think I will go back to that configuration.  It felt better to me anyway.

I also have gotten into the bad habit of zooming in on the bandit.  While that has gotten me kills, it has also gotten me dead.  I'll work on stopping that.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1)  Do you find that with your convergence so close you are still able to use your guns in roles other than air-to-air?  Going along with that, how do you handle air targets beyond that close range (say, D400)?

2)  What gunsight do you use?  I have found some that I like, but I am always looking for one that is more effective and first hand accounts from their user's as to why.

Thank you again for the film and all of the information!
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2005, 10:06:48 AM »
Originally posted by jetb123
If your 14, unless your a Overgrown Sasquatch. A ch setup will be WAY to big for your hands. I went to Frys the other day played with the petals throttle and joystick. I couldnt reach most of the hats, and if i tried it felt like my thumb was about to be pulled out of its socket. I have heard of people putting push ups on there sitcks tho so it fits better...

I have small hands, and the CH setup works alright for me.  Like anything, it's a matter of getting accustomed to it.  I also remapped the views from one hat to another one closer to my thumb so I wouldn't have to stretch so far to use it.  Other CH stuff -- the pedals and the throttle -- shouldn't really present any difficulties to people with small hands.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 10:12:12 AM »
Originally posted by Blammo
1)  Do you find that with your convergence so close you are still able to use your guns in roles other than air-to-air?  Going along with that, how do you handle air targets beyond that close range (say, D400)?
[/B]

You can still hit targets beyond the convergence range, but close convergence reduces the lethality with which you hit them -- you get more of a shotgun effect at long range.  So basically I trade close in lethality for long distance lethality.  By the same token, those who set their convergence out to 400 or more trade close in lethality for long distance lethality.  Since I find that I do most of my shooting right around 200-250 yards, and since I set up my shots for those distances, that convergence works best to maximize my lethality.

2)  What gunsight do you use?  I have found some that I like, but I am always looking for one that is more effective and first hand accounts from their user's as to why.
[/B]

I use the default gunsight.  To be honest, once you get the feel for aiming you could probably fly without any gunsight at all and do fine.  I'd say that the gunsight is a matter of personal preference, though I can say that I abhor "busy" gunsights that clutter my screen (like the default P-51D gunsight).

Enjoy the film!  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 11:23:07 AM »
Oops, I meant in the above to say that I trade long distance lethality for close in lethality.

This 10 minute editing limit is a pain.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2005, 04:42:19 PM »
One other thing, how far back do you sit in your virtual seat?
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 10:21:47 PM »
Originally posted by Blammo
One other thing, how far back do you sit in your virtual seat?

I typically use the default seat distance or sit a little farther back.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 10:50:29 PM »
Todd's an OK stick.   hehe.  I've been glad to see you around the MA more bud!

<> Todd

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to Kill a CAP [film]
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2005, 09:43:19 AM »
Thanks, Karaya.  :)  

-- Todd/Leviathn