Author Topic: Promoting Aces High  (Read 2027 times)

Offline AWRaid

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • Semper Fi
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2005, 12:22:45 AM »
Just have a Relaxed Realism arena and promote that.  Some people like WW2 combat but not all the blackouts, accelerated stalls etc.

Eventually people will get bored with RR and go to the real arena.
-Raid

<S> SDShill <S>

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2005, 03:41:15 AM »
Originally posted by AWRaid
Just have a Relaxed Realism arena and promote that.  Some people like WW2 combat but not all the blackouts, accelerated stalls etc.

Eventually people will get bored with RR and go to the real arena.

Probably true.  In Air Warrior, there were about as many in RR as in full realism, if I recall correctly.  Still, that is OK.  Folks who stay in RR are unlikely to play full realism if that were the only thing available.

Offline AWRaid

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • Semper Fi
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2005, 04:32:24 AM »
In AOL AW4W there were 6 RRE servers, 2 RRP servers, 1 Korean, 1 WWI, 1 FRE and 1 FRP.  Regardless if they go to FR or not it still means more people and more money for HTC...to fund new projects or whatever.

Each server could hold how many? I think 110 at that time.... I know the top 3 or so RRs of the AW4W were always full and the FR servers were about half full constantly.

World War II online is basically "Advanced" Relaxed Realism with a funky flight model and they still have people flying.

RR appeals to more casual players and most gamers are casual. I know HT doesn't  AW for some reason so he may be avoiding RR arenas just for that I don't know.
-Raid

<S> SDShill <S>

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2005, 07:43:42 AM »
Some people like WW2 combat but not all the blackouts, accelerated stalls etc

AH with it's user selectable stall limiter, auto take off and combat trim mode is about as relaxed as one can get and still claim you're modeling WW2 "aircraft" for use in online combat.  

How one could claim they like to experience WW2 air combat in a game that resembled Descent online rife with UFO's adorned in WW2 aircraft "skins" is beyond me.

It's like saying you like Gran Prix racing and claiming that is what your doing when "driving" physics defying, supersonic hovercraft modelled to look like actual race cars in an online Gran Prix "racing" world.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2005, 08:08:27 PM »
Originally posted by -sudz-
This was tried back when everyone was working for WB.  If I remember correctly it generated alot of interest but not many accounts.  It cost us alot.

- sudz

I think I remember that year,  it was the year with the most sims being pushed.

The Exposure would be great, as there is nearly 1 million aviation people in attendance.   But as you mentioned it would be expensive.

I had heard this week that an outside flymart booth was $2,000 for the week and that exibition building booth was like $4,000-$5,000.  I will check to see how accurate that is.   Now that doesnt take into account hotels, travel, wages, and booth expenses.  

The only Sim there was MicroSofts FlightSim.  They had a Premium Spot setup in the center of the main entrance to Building B.  Id guess it would have probably cost them about 3x as much as a regular booth.   It was always packed with people that had interest.

CH Products has a Booth, They display both thier gaming sticks and their aviation sticks.   IMHO contacting them and working something with on a booth would be the way to go.  They already have Sticks and PCs in the Booth.  I belive they had MS Flightsim to demo thier products.  HiTech could flyup the RV and bring someone else to work the booth with the CH people.

Showing the product would good, but also having some trinket that could be taken by visitors with "Visit FlyAcesHigh.com" on it would be good as well, so once they get home they have reference to AH again.

Even if Warbirds didnt do well with this, it might be worth while to reevaluate it from time to time.  I recommend sending Dale on a fact finding mission next year in the RV.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2005, 08:20:21 PM »
yeah, i heard MS was there....

i personally did speak to about 4 people i didn't know about flight sims, and they asked about Aces High because they saw the commercial.

actually 2 asked right off "do you play Aces High"? before i even mentioned what sim i flew. the TV commercials are being seen it does seem.

the description i gave out was pretty good, and 1 for sure seemed very interested. he was concerned about things like the old Air Warrior relaxed realism being the dominant arena. sounded like he flew back in the mid 90's and has been unsure about flight sims until lately. you may have a new customer :aok

Grimm has the right idea though, with CH selling at a discount there, maybe HTC can go in with them somehow
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2005, 02:08:30 AM »
If you want to expand the player base put it in a box, wallet whatever, on a CD and sell it. Publish a book with pics stats history etc about all the aircraft in the game and include a copy of the game on a CD.

If you only want to expand the player base to enthusiasts do the same but sell it only at airshows museums and the like.

Also show it off over here in UK and Europe. Come and visit us!

:aok