Author Topic: Promoting Aces High  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Promoting Aces High
« on: June 24, 2005, 12:49:12 PM »
I was reading an article over at SimHQ (The Future of Simulations:  Where do we go from here? ) and it got me thinking about AH.  I'm wondering why HiTech and crew don't rent a handful of PC, a tent, and spend a week up at Oshkosh letting people play AH?  Sure it would cost some cash, but isn't it likely that it would create a ton of interest in the game?

Do they do that, and I just missed hearing about it?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 01:08:33 PM »
Simhq knows all about AH ... they treat us like the black sheep over here .
so why spend $$$ on them
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 01:09:22 PM »
This was tried back when everyone was working for WB.  If I remember correctly it generated alot of interest but not many accounts.  It cost us alot.

- sudz

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 01:20:42 PM »
Originally posted by -sudz-
This was tried back when everyone was working for WB.  If I remember correctly it generated alot of interest but not many accounts.  It cost us alot.

- sudz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't WB a pay per hour game for a very much longer time then Air Warrior?

If so, that might have explained the interest yet lack of accounts.

Something like this might just work with AH2's price...  Let's face it, its the best deal on the planet.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 01:29:34 PM »
"they treat us like the black sheep over here "

The original SimHQ crew were pretty fair and good to AH. They got interviews from the HTC folks (when was the last time any saw an interview with someone from AH)  and the editors/contibuters often participated in discussions on these boards.  IMO SimHQ (and Dogfighter.com in it's pre Playnet days!) were the best websites for folks who liked this type of game/sim.

After some guy (forget his name) bought out or took over from the original crew the place went down hill pretty quick.  He didn't like HTC or he snubbed them because they didn't grease his palm.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:36:11 PM »

- sudz
that's a shame ; (

though one might wonder how the climate has changed since then. i know at Oshkosh there will some AH players (mainly a bunch of the CAF, and probably a few more) that would make for a good example for the game i would think. seeing a bunch of the regular subscribers, and talking with them frankly.

i know i'd go out of my way to show up there this year ; )
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 01:37:32 PM »
"they treat us like the black sheep over here "

The original SimHQ crew were pretty fair and good to AH. They got interviews from the HTC folks (when was the last time any saw an interview with someone from AH)  and the editors/contibuters often participated in discussions on these boards.  IMO SimHQ (and Dogfighter.com in it's pre Playnet days!) were the best websites for folks who liked this type of game/sim.

After some guy (forget his name) bought out or took over from the original crew the place went down hill pretty quick.  He didn't like HTC or he snubbed them because they didn't grease his palm.

As for advertising? I think HTC are doing something righ as they have tv ads pulling players in. But IMO they could do more by helping people to talk about thier product.  AKA that thing called "word of mouth."
 Heck good PR spurs some people on to build communites and into building fansites as well as all sorts of phenominal media.  See IL2.
 However that won't happen if all they have to go on is the age old MA gameplay thing or if  they don't have diddley squat to get excited about (ref: lack of info on TOD)

huh? we cannot delet posts or edit them after a 5 min timer has run??

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »
Well here's an idea (perhaps a bad one)..

Make Aces High the last game in a difficult progression of games. Take the same game engine and dumb down the flight model and create a few quake type games - maybe even space ships. Once they get bored with that, they might take the next step and play AH.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 01:49:29 PM »
yes Westy .. you have like 6 or 12 hours  to deleate and i think you can edit for longer then that .

As far as im concerened the Comercials seam to bring in the most new players .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 01:51:03 PM »
Originally posted by Roscoroo
yes Westy .. you have like 6 or 12 hours  to deleate and i think you can edit for longer then that .

As far as im concerened the Comercials seam to bring in the most new players .
i just went to edit my post, and the limit is now down to 5 minutes ; (

i wanted to add, there are many many more online games now, and the public may be more receptive. just a thought
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 01:55:50 PM »
wow they changed it !!!

Darn darn darn ... :mad:
Roscoroo ,

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 02:53:56 PM »

- sudz

Yeah, I know from experience that trying to exploit the trade-show circuit, so-to-speak, often ends up costing a company more than it benefits them in the long run. Seems to me the route they're taking nowadays with the TV spots should be more rewarding to the bottom line.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 03:25:13 PM »
exposure is everything..guys in my aviation class went nuts for some pos sim at fantasy of flight in florida....Every person who has seen my setup at home has an account or at least did the 2 weeks trial. Most people dont know about it, or think its just another Microsoft type flight sim they will quit in a week.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 03:32:47 PM »
slow & steady ... seems to me, AH is doing just fine

what would happen if all of a sudden they got more subs then they could handle? I think on real busy days in MA that is already the case. You see warps, rubber bullets, strob light graphics .. things that make you go UUGGHHhh!
Unless they want to show high subs to jack the askng price,we all want ...
slow & steady
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Promoting Aces High
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 03:39:39 PM »
The situation has definately changed.  IMHO, people are a lot less of the attitude that "$15 a month is too much to pay for a game."

The other thing to remember is that Oshkosh IS NOT a trade show.  Nor is it anything like a trade show.  It is a gathering of aviation enthusiasts.  What better place than Oshkosh to find new players?  HiTech could try to get one of the stick makers, and NaturalPoint to help defray the costs.  Get them to give people "Oshkosh coupons" to get their sticks and TIR for a bit of a discount.  Get kids and adults to sit down and play the game.  That's a lot more convincing than watching some 30 second TV commercial.  At least if you play you can see what the flight model feels like.  

BTW, Simbin did exactly this with GTR (racing sim).  They had a tent at a bunch of GT races in Europe where they'd let people play their game.  If nothing else, it gets the word out.