Author Topic: Sticks To Your DNA, Not To Your Pan  (Read 576 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Sticks To Your DNA, Not To Your Pan
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2005, 05:59:40 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
That's where you're wrong Innominate. Asbestos is hazardous in extremely small quantities and everyone is at danger as long as there is asbestos around. It is said that it takes only one asbestos fiber in lungs to eventually develop into cancer. Longer exposures only shorten the developing.

link

Approximately one in seven people who suffer from asbestosis, a lung disease caused by prolonged high exposure, eventually develop lung cancer. The higher the exposure to asbestos, the higher the risk of lung cancer. There is synergy between cigarette smoking and asbestos exposure in causing lung cancer; asbestos workers who smoke face a much higher risk than asbestos workers who do not smoke. Evidence suggests that asbestos-exposed workers who quit smoking can reduce their risk of developing lung cancer by as much as fifty percent within five years of quitting (NCI).

Mesothelioma

Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that affects the thin membranes lining the abdomen and chest. Mesothelioma is closely linked with asbestos; most cases of mesothelioma result from direct occupational asbestos exposure.

However, mesotheliomas have been observed not only among workers who are occupationally exposed to crocidolite, amosite, and chrysotile, but also among their family members, and people living in the neighborhoods surrounding asbestos factories and mines (IARC). It is estimated that one third of the mesothelioma cases in the U.S. may be due to non-occupational exposure such as these (IARC). Although scientists know that the risk of developing mesothelioma increases with the amount of asbestos exposure, there is no way to measure exactly the minimum amount of asbestos exposure that can lead to mesothelioma. However, mesothelioma is very rare in the general population of the United States.    

One cigarette will not necesarily cause lung cancer, and whoever said one asbestos fiber will cause you to die a horrible cancerous death is wrong according to the American Cancer Society.

While your chances go up with exposure, only 1 in 7 who already have asbestosis due to prolonged exposure in an asbestos factory develop cancer.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the useless information thread, as the truth will not make any difference.

The sky isn't falling.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 06:05:21 AM »
However, mesotheliomas have been observed not only among workers who are occupationally exposed to crocidolite, amosite, and chrysotile, but also among their family members, and people living in the neighborhoods surrounding asbestos factories and mines (IARC). It is estimated that one third of the mesothelioma cases in the U.S. may be due to non-occupational exposure such as these (IARC). Although scientists know that the risk of developing mesothelioma increases with the amount of asbestos exposure, there is no way to measure exactly the minimum amount of asbestos exposure that can lead to mesothelioma.

Thanks for remaking my point - people have got cancer from transient asbestod dust carried home in plain clothes.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 06:12:30 AM »
13 years ago I had a roommate who had a medical doctorate (trained in Germany).  He would not eat anything that had been cooked on Teflon.

eskimo

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 06:17:39 AM »
So Saif, you ignore the 1 in 7 well studied statistical figure that says your statement was unsupported and zoom in on the anecdotal evidence that proves your point.

item: 1 in 7 people who have asbestosis due to heavy prolonged exposure to asbestos fibers develop cancer.

you seem to believe that:

item:  asbestos is so hazardous that one fiber dooms you to a horrible cancer death.

The only way these items are both correct is if asbestosis builds the human resistance to cancer.

God, you practice good science.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 06:34:53 AM »
One in seven subjects is an extremely high cancer rate. Your equation leaves out the vast masses who get lesser-than-asbestosis level exposures and do develop cancer as a result.

It is said that one fiber is enough to develop into cancer - now will that happen during that persons lifetime or not is a different issue. Nevertheless even the smallest exposure presents you with a deadly hazard.

Asbestos workers familymembers have died to asbestos carried home in the workers civillian clothes. Downplay the risks all you like, I call that a horrible result of an extremely hazardous product.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 07:33:59 AM »
Perhaps a common sense approach is in order.

The human body is comprised of elements found in nature.  Anything man-made which could harm those elements in nature would probably harm the human body as well.
In some cases it may take years of exposure, in others not so much.  In some cases the body can repair the damage, in others, not so much.

Overheat a teflon coated pan and it puts out a poisonous gas, use unsealed ceramic containers and they leech lead.  I am not big on polymer based food containers as the potential for leeching resins is high as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 08:02:01 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
One in seven subjects is an extremely high cancer rate.

One in seven that are already are diseased with asbestosis.[/i]

That's like saying one in seven pedestrians who are hit by a car needs a transfusion.  Firsts the pedestrian must be hit bay a car.  Make it accross the street without being hit and the chance of needing a transfusion diminishes greatly.

Many workers in asbestos factories work a career and are not stricken with asbestosis. As a matter of fact, most people with a history of prolonged exposure don't develop asbestosis, and the risk of asbestosis diminishes every day away from exposure.

The item we started with says that PFOA is possibly dangerous.  PFOA is used in the making of teflon and other consumer products, but is not in the final product.

But, let's ban it anyway, it might me dangerous.

Then, let's go have a few beers, drive home w/o a seatbelt and smoke a few.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 08:15:58 AM »
already diseased with asbestosis

But you need to understand you do _not_ need to have diagnosed asbestosis in order to develop an asbestos related cancer.

PFOA is indeed a different issue here. The discussion went sideways when you for some reason started to defend an already banned substance which has already been internationally acknowledged as hazardous. Substance which continued use purely because big money suppressed scientific findings about its danger.

Which is why I compared PFOA to asbestos research results, they should be taken with a grain of salt as long as they're made by anything else than a totally independent organization.

A bit like Nokia conducting research about dangers of cellular phone radiation.. yeah right. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 08:19:17 AM by Siaf__csf »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 08:31:21 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Actually my oncologist said that most men develop colon cancer in their later years but it usually moves so slowly that men usually die from old age or other natural causes long before it reaches a state where its a problem
cc i have heard about men... all the people i know that got it are women though.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 08:45:41 AM »
Interesting thing about teflon, Parrots and teflon can't be in the same house. Cooking with it can kill them. Not a joke.

Remember when they used canarys in mines ?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sticks To Your DNA, Not To Your Pan
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 09:19:08 AM »
Originally posted by rpm

Scary stuff when you think about it. How many of us have eaten food prepared in nonstick pans?

Maybe a little, but I don't buy non-stick pans. They don't last and they're a pain in the bellybutton to care for. Cast aluminum baby.
sand

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 09:24:48 AM »
Rofl sandman youre kidding right?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 09:56:55 AM »
Saif, do you have a hat made out of tin foil?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 12:02:43 PM »
Oxides from aluminum are known to effect the brain in odd ways.  Parkinsons?  No,..Lou Gehrigs maybe.  I cannot recall which, but it ain't good.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2005, 01:45:32 PM »
Hundreds of millions of people use the no stick stuff to cook on.  How many of those people will die someday?  Lord only knows.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns