Author Topic: Combat Trim - Good or Bad?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Combat Trim - Good or Bad?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »
I keep it on by default.  It switches off automatically when I manually adjust the trim, and it turns back on again when I either toggle it or quickly engage autopilot (auto-angle, auto-level, auto-speed).  It's pretty intuitive in that sense.  

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 03:23:56 PM »
I use manual trim for just two aircraft types; the P-38s and the Ki-84. For the rest I leave CT on. I see no benefit to trimming manually and have issues with nose-bounce when using flaps for maneuvering.

I also use auto-takeoff and would use anything else that creates less workload or lets me go get a cup of coffee.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »
here I thought all along that it was an easy mode crutch for the less able pilots which while it allowed them to fly, it limited their planes abilities and that best-est pilots all manual trimmed their planes .....

guess I had it arse backwards ... again LOL :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »
Well, update on my use of it.

I Only use it in the 190's now. We'll see if I use it in other planes such as P51's and so on when I fly them.

In the 109's and Ki84 I do not use it.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 03:58:30 PM »
Hey don't worry about it. Back in AW2 O'l Levi / deadf was a RR kinda guy and kicked my kester alot.....:D
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 04:15:29 PM »
I have CT programed to a button to toggle on/off.  In most planes I flip it on and off quickly if I need to retrim fast.  In some planes I leave it on full time (like the 190).  If I plan to run the ragged edge turning I want it OFF.

Here is why.  CT is programed to virtually trim X amount of elevator at X MPH.  It is usually lagging behind a changing speed condition.  In the case of turning on the edge of controled flight, you are losing speed to drag, and CT is trying to trim elevators to a lowering speed.  So while you are trying to hold as much elevator angle as possible without snaping out, CT is blindly ADDING elevator angle to adjust to your decreasing speed.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 04:27:22 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus

However, like AckAck said, the use of flaps or such things kind of counters the CT but if your stick is pulled fully back so is the elevator, no matter where your manual trim sits or where the CT sits.

Some planes I have started useing it in and some not but I'm always prepared to go manual.

What I meant by CT hindering performance is the effect it has on things like flaps, which the effects of CT does not take into consideration.  For example, the dive flaps (as stated awhile ago by HT in a response to TAC) that they give a positive lift of 3-4 degrees when deployed.  With CT turned on, this lift is negated by the CT as it will try and trim to compensate for the lift generated by the dive flaps.  Similiarily, the extra lift provided by the flaps is also counteracted by CT and that's where it can hinder performance, at least in the P-38.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
But at slower speeds where it is not limited by stick force, you can always get full diflection nomatter where the trim is set.

Note this quote in relation to the myth of making tighter max turns with elevator trim all the way up.  The stall happens at the wing, not the elevator.  If your plane should stall at 19deg pitch at X mph, then it does not matter if your pitch angle is caused by full trim, full stick, or a combination of the two.  The limitation on the plane is still the same.  The same applies to G forces, the limitation on the pilot is the same, regardless of your method of elevator input.  As HT said, you get full stick deflection except where stick input would be limited by high speed forces.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2005, 04:46:51 PM »
Actually AKAK, yes and no.  CT does not take things like dive flaps, and flaps into account.  I does effectively counter dive flaps by trimming elevators down, but it does it in relation to speed not pitch.  IIRC elevator CT is basically a table of speed/trim angle.  So when manuevering flaps are deployed CT ends up giving you extra positive pitch, because it is working numbers from a clean configuration.

Waits to be told Im wrong, and corrected by HT :)

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2005, 07:48:47 PM »
i only use manual trim, but not very much, mostly elevator for take off and landing or in a high speed dive. i don't think real WW2 pilots were cranking their trim when in combat.
some WW2 planes did not have trim on all three control surfaces.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2005, 03:12:09 AM »
As far as elevator goes John it is always (particulair in combat I can imagine) to have the trim set fairly good, it takes a whole lot of load of your arm.

Like HT described above, if you trim a plane half negative (for high speed, nose down)  the control stick in the cockpit will actually move half way forward, now if you enter a turnfight at this trim setting you will have to pull the stick alot further back then if you trim the plane possitive and let the trim do the "pulling" for you.

Not sure how to explain it good, it becomes very apparent in R/L flying.

Had I been in a combat I would proarly have tried to change elevator trimming as often as I could.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2005, 07:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by Noir

and now I know HT is checking this post, I just want to say : Give us color blind icons ! :huh

SETUP > PREFERENCES > Icon Display ;)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2005, 08:16:12 AM »
SETUP > PREFERENCES > Icon Display

Is that a joke ? read my post on the wishlist
now posting as SirNuke

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2005, 08:32:10 AM »
Originally posted by Noir
Is that a joke ? read my post on the wishlist

I've read your post, and understand what you mean.
Really the above answer is the only answer.

I have the same problems and Im not color blind. So I'm sure aot of other folks have the same problems also.

No matter which color you pick, somewhere along the line its going to blend in with the background colors.

What you may want to try asking for is some sort of setup where you can haveyour own preset color configurations that you can toggle by mapping it to the keyboard or joystick
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2005, 12:00:27 PM »
well that could be an idea...sorry I was being rude
now posting as SirNuke