Author Topic: Could AH have faster, but aswell lighter tanks?  (Read 1247 times)

Mallorn

Could AH have faster, but aswell lighter tanks?
« on: February 24, 2001, 10:57:00 AM »
Ok I havent been in AH for a while, but still I have checked the BB once in a while.
Everybody complains about the planes and so on, and I dont complain about their complaining because so this game will be the SIM of the year again    

But about the tanks I thought that why not make another model to AH. For example the German PanzerWagen III. (PW VI=Tiger and so on) The PW3 has one 50mm cannon, one or two MG´s and its so much faster compared to the Tiger or Panther.

If this is too heavy for AH, why not another light tank? 20mm cannon with the rounds that a tank carried in WW2.    

With the lighter tanks it would be easier to have a proper chance of a action that leads into something... Ofcourse these tanks would be SO SO much easier to kill but event though.

Generally a tank of that kind could not be any real threat to a real pilot...    

Mallorn

[This message has been edited by Mallorn (edited 02-24-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2001, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm for any new GV's!

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
The question is, what would you really be able to do with it? Something that light would get torn up by field ack. Planes, even the .50 armed jobs, would shred you. The arenas haven't really been designed for tank battles, so I am wondering what is left.

I am not against GV or planes of any kind, I only wonder aloud what their particular niche would be?

Mallorn

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Well I did mention the fact of light armor´s weakness, but still they could make simple attacks to Vehicle stations.  

Together 2-3 P3´s could be able to have a defence of somekind even when the attacker would be C-Hog or so. Besides the radar shouldn´t be able to see the ground units as well as they see planes. Ofcourse ground vehicles arent supposed to be invisible.  

And I was just making a question to you guys... I thought it might work...

Lets see what the other guys say to it, shall we.    

funked

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
M18 Hellcat!

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
Kubelwagon with 20mm FkVr 38 ring...

Actually I'd like to see a German HT or prime mover. Or more variants of the PzIV and M3 halftrack.

Yanno one of those M3A2's hauling a quad .50 AAA trailer might have a chance in AH.

- Bess

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
Why would we want a tank faster than our current Panz IV? It has a max dive speed of 300 MPH.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
I think once HT puts in trees and other ground effects that GVs can hide in, I think you will see a lot more action with them.

Right now, there is no where to hide and you are always a sitting duck for any plane that happens by.

On a side note, the HE rounds of the panzer seem very weak. It took me something like 40 to kill a BH offline. Seeing is how the drive to an enemy field can take over 15 minutes, the whole endevor seems pretty unapealing as you have to burn almost the whole HE ammo load if you happened to have brought some AP for defense.

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS
 midnight@13thtas.com

"I see you have made your decision. Now let's see you enforce it." -Brandon Lee (The Crow)

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2001, 06:42:00 PM »

Lets see what the other guys say to it, shall we.

Never intended to quell opinions, your topic line asks for an opinion, I gave one.  

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
Midnight i agree...I thought the change made for 1.05 to the hangers durability(eg light calibre does less damage)would also make HE rounds more effective but it doesnt ;'feel' or seem right as it is now.When ever you see film of tanks firing at buildings they usually collapse or whole chunks of the buildings are blasted off right?  
Now obviously im no expert on this but my opinion is the HE needs to be upped a little more in their power.
Just my opinion not a whine  

hazed

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
not a single new GV unil the entire vehicle system gets revamped.

imo.

a panzer can be killed by 150 .50 cal from dead 12  

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2001, 11:59:00 PM »
"Kubelwagon with 20mm FkVr 38 ring..."

Now u are talking language coool  

i want that

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2001, 01:30:00 AM »
Pzkw III ain't that fast a tank. Actually Panther is faster if I remember right.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2001, 02:13:00 AM »
The M4A3 Sherman, after all is 7mph faster then the Pz IVH and better suited withstanding air attacks. According the the joint fighter conference thingy, even the almighty Hispano is going to have a hard time punching though that little tin can  

Hans

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2001, 02:45:00 AM »
I am with Zigrat.  There isn't much wrong with the ground combat system other than the total lack of any sort of ground cover.

We need smaller hills and treelines.

But in the short term a normal Sherman tank with the small 75mm gun would be nice.  It has features that are better and worse that would make it useful, but not make the Panzer IV obsolete.

Hans.