Author Topic: Basic new guy stuff  (Read 628 times)

Offline viper21b

• Zinc Member
      • http://yahoo.com
Basic new guy stuff
« on: July 03, 2005, 11:46:15 AM »
Ok, so I can get into the air, I just can't stay there long.I can't seem to get any air speed.My slider is maxed out, but I can only get around 250 MPH.Thus the stall warning when I try to manuever, and of course crash time.Keep in mind this is my first flight sim, so please help before my PC exits out the window

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 12:31:08 PM »
first of all if you havent got a joystick u havent got a lot of hope of enjoying the game.
use auto take off dont touch anything  just open the throttle and let it do the rest.after you get some height  then hit x  to go auto level  and gane some speed  then try from there.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:50:00 PM »
also, would help if we knew what type of plane, what type of ordnance load out you carrying and what type of controller setup you are using.

if you would like to meet up with a trainer shoot an email off to

trainers@hitechcreations.com to set up a time to meet.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 01:12:38 PM »
And if you "do" have a joystick, make sure it's calibrated in the game. Your throttle may not be going 100%
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 07:36:37 PM »
Originally posted by viper21b
Ok, so I can get into the air, I just can't stay there long.I can't seem to get any air speed.My slider is maxed out, but I can only get around 250 MPH.Thus the stall warning when I try to manuever, and of course crash time.Keep in mind this is my first flight sim, so please help before my PC exits out the window

90% of the time it means you are looking out the front of the plane and it seems like you are fairly level. Unfortunately, appearances can be deceiving and what looks like level is actually very nose high. Unlike jet powered planes with after burners, the prop jobs only go up so much before they fall out of the sky. There is an old saying about flying..."Pull back on stick, houses get smaller. Pull back on stick more, houses get bigger." What they are saying is when the plane finally runs out of speed it will fall out of the sky. Your stall warning buzzer is a clear indication that you have your nose pointed too high during flight. The stall warning buzzer gets louder the closer you come to the edge of the stall. If you listen closely you will get used to just how close you can come before it does stall.

Now for the good news. You can easily tell if you've been flying around with your nose pointed up too much. Get up and fly some then hit your X key on the keyboard. The plane will go on auto pilot "level" see if the nose drops everytime you hit it. When it does begin getting a "feel" for that new view you "see" when you are straight and level.

Last is best....new folks have a tendency to "point" they're nose at other players flying around that are higher than they are. Try this. Take off and begin a gentle climb (note: gentle climb does not exceed 2000 feer per minute up) until you are at 10000 ft. Then point the nose down and let the plane get faster. In no time you will be doing 400 + mph.

Try it and see.

Hope this helps

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 07:06:13 PM »
get a book from the library like the private pilot ground school book and skim through it paying special attention  to the explanations for  attitude indicators , velocity, compass and altitude.

get in the game and fly for 30mins using the hooded approach using only instruments to navigate and control the aircraft. After that 30 mins you will know more about that and other planes than just messing around in the ma for 20 hours with it.

This technique will help you alot when it comes to high compressibility aircrft like the 109s, p38, zero.

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 06:47:56 PM »
Check that you are raising the landing gear after takeoff, if you leave it extended you will have a lot of drag which will slow you down.

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
Basic new guy stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 10:37:30 AM »
If your getting a stall warning, convert your height into energy(speed) by diving.  Also, big rule of thumb is to not make turns in the horizontal plane.  Turn in the vertical plane.  Horizontal turning drains energy, without any possibility of recovering it  Vertical turning (climbing) drains energy as well, but in the form of storing that energy in the form of height that can be reused by diving if neccessary.
   If your new to flight sims that are based, like this game, at full realism, you have to get used to the way planes would actually handle.  This isnt an arcade game by any means.
   Sounds to me like your excited to play the game and are just jumping in and wanted to get to the fight too fast by climbing too fast.  There is much more to this game than just expecting to "yank" on your stick and line someone up for a kill.   Unfortunately, as I struggle to this day because Im not very good at it, there are very many good pilots out there that know how to manage their energy and have the tactics to just plainly "Own you."
    Spend time in the trainign arena and ask for a trainer.  They are very helpful