Author Topic: Cable Modem Issues  (Read 685 times)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« on: July 04, 2005, 01:24:11 AM »
Going to call Cox tommorow and see if I can get a replacement modem. But here is what is going on.

I have digital telephone, cable internet, and digital cable TV. Up until this last week, I haven't had any problems. But, this week periodically throughout the day my up-speed and down-speed lights will start blinking. And within 20 seconds of that happening, my modem basicly turns off and then back on. The internet resumes within 1 minute of all this.

Any of you guys think it could be something besides my modem dieing?

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 03:26:27 AM »
sounds exactly like what happened with my modem.. it was a motorola, and lasted about 2 years....

time warner pinged, it and played with it remotely, to say it was not holding a stable connection.. hence bad. got a new one.

only other thing is if your signal is flaking out. in ym apt, someone moved in and they hooked up cable. the tech that did it screwed up, and made my signal weaker. they had to come out and fix it.

it's is one of those 2, if you have a home, not an apt, i'd say the modem, unless it's really new, then maybe something wonky on the cable somewhere.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 11:02:00 AM »
Well, I live in a house. But, it is relatively new. Never know though. I forgot today was a holiday so I will have to call tommorow.

Offline ebgb

• Copper Member
      • http://www.rogue-gryffons.com
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 12:59:09 PM »
Cox here,  Zoom 5041 modem.
Cox acknowledges problems with this modem.
Is this your modem too?

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 05:11:54 PM »
Before replacing anything call Cox. They have always been very good with helping me out with probs. Had lightning take out 2 modems. If its the modem they will tell you, also thats why you are paying them crazy ammounts of money every month. Might as well use the services they provide.
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »
Says Arris on it. Lemme find the box for specifics....Arris 402p. The phone is digital, so the phone goes through the modem as well.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 05:13:21 PM »
Originally posted by kevykev56
Before replacing anything call Cox. They have always been very good with helping me out with probs. Had lightning take out 2 modems. If its the modem they will tell you, also thats why you are paying them crazy ammounts of money every month. Might as well use the services they provide.

I was never going to replace anything.

THey provided the modem. I have to have a telephone modem, and they are the only ones who carry them. I was going to call them and get them to replace it. :)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 08:36:18 PM »
Estes, did you try resetting the modem?  Sometimes thats all it takes.  Hate for you to go to alot of trouble if it's something simple.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 12:05:07 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Estes, did you try resetting the modem?  Sometimes thats all it takes.  Hate for you to go to alot of trouble if it's something simple.

I did as you said Star, and so far it hasn't turned off yet. But, we shall see. Thanks for the suggestion. If that doesn't cure it, guess I will end up calling Cox.

-edit- Spoke too soon. Just went out. Dangit. - Edit-
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 12:12:39 AM by Estes »

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 12:45:09 AM »
When you reset it, make sure you keep it unplugged for around 30 seconds.  That gives it plenty of time to reset everything inside.  If you did that, then my guess would be either a bad modem or a service problem.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 02:24:03 AM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
When you reset it, make sure you keep it unplugged for around 30 seconds.  That gives it plenty of time to reset everything inside.  If you did that, then my guess would be either a bad modem or a service problem.

Well, it's also my phone modem. Ala, VOIP so it has an internal battery backup. I've held the reset button down for a good 30 seconds, nothing. So, I'll see what they have to say. I may just ditch this VOIP thing and go with my old SBC + Cox combo.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
been working in cable industry since '79..
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 05:55:17 AM »
you should have called them right off. A hsd (high speed data)support tech can run many diags without sending anyone out. I have VOIP, digitail cable and cable modem (roadrunner) with Brighthouse Networks aka TimeWarner.
Your problem can be caused by just about anything in the cable world. Do you know if your neighbors are having similar issues? Is your tv reception affected? How about your phone?

My modem got flaky out once but it affected voice reception more than data. The new one is an Arris. Your cable tech should be able to test your lines, upstream and downstream and tell if the issue is outside, in your house wiring or just your modem.  You shouldn't have to drop VOIP to get your data working.
gl
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »
WEll, I just got off the phone with this really incompetent tech support lady. FIrst off, she couldn't find my account.

And once she sensed that I was getting pissed off at her insinuating that I was a liar, and acting like I was wasting her time. "She found it." And I explained what was going on, and she basicly said "WEll, there isn't anything we can do about it unless you call when your modem is doing that."

To which I basicly said, "Look lady, I sat on hold for 45 minutes before I even talked to anybody. Not to mention the 5 minutes of automated crap I had to sit through. My modem comes back on within 30-40 SECONDS! Explain to me, how I can possible get a hold of someone there within that time frame? No, thats what I thought."

"Well, I"m sorry sir blah blah. All I can do is reset your modem."So, she did that, not sure how much good it is going to do. As I have reset it myself as well. I told her, im not going to call back and report the problem. If I call back its to cancel the phone service I have with you, switching back to SBC and buying my own modem.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »
if the problem is in the distribution, a new modem,voip or non-voip will not fix it
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem Issues
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 01:13:40 PM »
next call immediatly ask for second level support
I don't know what to put here yet.