Author Topic: of the past.. and of the future  (Read 429 times)

Offline loser

• Silver Member
of the past.. and of the future
« on: September 14, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »
with all that has happened lately, it is hard for me to express how i really feel.  not because i can bring myself to share such feelings, but because i am still not sure how i feel.

there are a few things i do know though.

when the United states and Nato say "we are at war," do many of us really know what this means?

has it been too long since a global conflict has occured?

has it been too long since the lives of people have been turned upside down?

has it been to long since sons, fathers, daughters and mothers, left home to fight but to never return?

has it been too long that we can go to bed every night knowing our families are safe; too long since we took for granted a loved one's face smiling and saying "good morning"

has it been so long that the stories we read and our elders tell us about their experiences of war are just that: stories so obscure and far removed from everyday life that we dont understand the human emotions felt so long ago.

has it been so long that war is only a flashing picture on a screen, not a flesh and blood human being lying in some foreign field...dying.

it is never too long.. never too much time between the senseless sacrifice of human lives.

my friends, i am young. standing here in all my innocence at age 22.  i have a beautiful girl and want to start a beautiful life. i want to have beautiful children and grow old slowly and gracefully.

i only hope and pray that i will have a chance to do this.

but as i am finally able to express my feelings to a community which i have an unimaginable bond to, i realize one thing.

my education, my soon to be wife, my forecoming children.. and all my future endevours mean nothing:

they mean nothing without freedom, security, and the sanctity of our current way of life.

and i like our for fathers and mothers am willing to sacrific my happiness, my life to ensure the future... of those to come

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
of the past.. and of the future
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2001, 05:44:00 PM »
Loser,

Yes I know what those words and terms mean. I have seen death many times both peacefull and violent. I have been in a life and death fight before and know the concequences of that too.

Kinda hard to face the fact that the world isn't a nice place huh. Yep it's a scary thing to contemplate but there were people who had beautiful plans for their lives in the WTC, planes and Pentagon. Without having done ANYTHING to deserve to be sentenced to death they were killed. No appeal and no concern on the part of the terrorists. I have listened to the tape of that anguished young lady calling her husband and speaking her last words of love to him before she died. I'm sure they had many plans too.

Doing nothing WILL NOT stop this from happening again.

You cannot stop a schoolyard bully or world terrorist by standing mute and not fighting back. That just emboldens them more as they know they can get away with it. If they can bend you to their will and force you to do what THEY want you to do they have won. They won't be concerned about hurting you again either. They won't just go away and they won't stop.

Most people are wonderful human beings. They love, laugh, play and help others. There are some who do not want to be that way. They prey on others and will not stop at anything to get their way. They have no concern what YOUR plans are as it does't matter to them. What matters to them is what they want and how you will give it to them.

A serial killer doesn't stop because his (or her) victims turn the other cheek. They stop because someone stronger and with more force captures or kills them. That is why we have Police and the Military in this country.

At some point in every life you have to decide whether something is worth taking a stand for or not. Merely standing by will not protect you or that beautiful girl you have. Those brave people on thae plane in Penn. also made a choice to fight for life. They were doomed if they didn't fight so resisting was the ONLY way to try to keep on living.

I hope you don't have to make that kind of choice but it may be forced upon you whether you want it or not. Doing nothing will not prevent that choice coming to you.

God Bless
Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown