Author Topic: Comparing Islam to Christianity  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Comparing Islam to Christianity
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2005, 04:48:38 AM »
Muslims and Christians lived in peace for centuries; I wonder what happened...

Seagoon; there are hundreds of millions Muslims around the world; I think You'll notice if they start up the jihad.

What you've seen is actions of few dozen extremists and their followers and it's not any worse than actions of some Jewish or Christian groups but if you want to think they're out there making plans to turn whole world to a one happy islamistic nation then go ahead.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2005, 05:41:13 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
What you've seen is actions of few dozen extremists...

Pew Global Attitudes Project
Support for acts of terrorism in defense of Islam has declined significantly in all majority-Muslim countries surveyed. Only in Jordan does a majority (57%) still find such acts justified. But opinion is divided over suicide bomber attacks on Americans and other Westerners in Iraq: Substantial majorities in Turkey, Pakistan and Indonesia find such attacks are not justifiable, but nearly half of Muslims in Lebanon and Jordan, and 56% in Morocco say they are.

Courier-Mail Aus
Research shows these clerics are finding a willing audience – an ICM poll revealed 13 per cent of Britain's 1.6 million Muslims support Al-Qaeda: a staggering 206,000 people.

a few dozen?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 05:43:14 AM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline bob149

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2005, 06:51:55 AM »
I live in a muslim country OMAN , i am a westerner (BRIT) and to be honest the Omani's are no different from me and you , they want the same thing's as we do .The fact that they worship a different god from the one we do , or that they dont eat pork or drink (though a lot of em do )makes no difference .
Another thing 99.9999% of muslims are  peaceful people much like you or me , just because a very small percentage are crazies dont tar all muslims with the same brush ,i have had people come up to me in the street and apologise for what has happened in the US , UK and Spain , you will find that most of the muslim world is appauled by what is being done in the name of thier religion  .If it wasnt religion the world was arguing over it would be somthing else , basically were all as bad as each other no matter who you pray too.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2005, 07:12:03 AM »
Originally posted by bob149
The fact that they worship a different god from the one we do , or that they dont eat pork or drink (though a lot of em do )makes no difference .

The God of Judism, Christianity and Islam is the God of Abraham. All three religions worship the same God.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2005, 07:29:38 AM »
Originally posted by Torque
when lynchings was a cultural event for family portraits and postcards, was the christian outcry deafening?

I'm new to the thread, so I just pulled this quote out as representative of many. Couple thoughts.

First, yes it was -- amoung people who really searched for "knowing God." A disturbingly high percentage of Christians down thru the ages have followed the forms of religion without letting it seep into their lives. Some then let the same selfish, desire driven behaviors present in the worst of us run rampant -- but under the banner of chrisitanity. They no more deserve to represent the faith than the Oklahoma City bombers represented American values (which they claimed as their motivation, BTW).

Most of the abolitionists during the 1800s were fervent Christians, who used Christian doctrine and principles to jsutify their passion. William Wilberforce, who led the drive for abolition in England, was a minister. Martin Luther King was a minister, and in pictures of his marches you'll see white ministers walking with him. They were motivated by desire for justice for a people not their own, at least in the worlds eyes.

Now about the Old Testament -- think about the seasons of life. What works well to teach a 12 year old, doesnt work as well when life develops further. Same as the Testaments.

Christians doctrine does not repudiate the Old Testament. The violence in the book was part of the context of ancient times, no doubt. In the specific instances cited -- about stoning guys -- the emphasis was on not compromising with paganism, which God told his people would generally mess up their lives. And realistically -- the dominant regional religions involved human and child sacrifice -- those compromises, like doing both religions as insurance, would have made things far worse for the people. Consequently, penalties matched the cultural norm for severe punishment. The point, even in the old testament, was on the internal realtionship with God -- Psalms says "you dont desire sacrifice; the sacrifices  you want are a contrite heart"

In the New Testament, Jesus first upped the ante -- "You've heard it said, dont commit adultery. I now say, dont think about committing adultery -- its the same thing as doing it." He took the internal changes the law was about to their next level. He also took the  emphasis off the law, and put it on the heart.

He said "put away your sword, peter." He said -- to a woman who earned death under law -- "I dont accuse you either -- jsut go, and sin no more."

No contradiction, further development.

Most anti- religion jabs on thiss board are jsut cheap shots, where someone who has made up his mind grabs any bit of evidence to "prove" what he already knows. Crusades were abused by men who demonstrably didnt live by Christian doctrine -- most basically, "do unto others." So why are they the #1 cited evidence how how bad christian religion is? The fact that the church bureacracy got behind them is irrelevant as a reflection of what Christianity teaches, because the actions that you guys deplore were not true reflections of what's in the book.

And some have set up parameters that guarantee no evidence for faith will be considered. In particular, by praising good deeds but hating what motivates many people to do them, Hang,  you get the best of both cynical worlds, eh?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline bob149

• Copper Member
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2005, 07:32:22 AM »
They dont see it that way , but i agree with you Holden, it's is pretty much the same thing .

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2005, 07:39:03 AM »
Originally posted by Raider179
[I keep seeing you guys say the "word of god" but isnt the bible just man's recollections and stories about what happened. As I recall only Qu'ran is the actual word of God and has been unchanged since it was written.  The Torah might be too but I cant remember right now.

You might mean something different than what I am interpreting as your "word of God".

The Bible claims to be written by the direct inspiration of God, working through men who were selcted -- for want of a better term -- to "channel" the specific message. Some were told to transmit their message orally as prophets, some by written record.

As far as accuracy goes, there is consistent reliability between manuscripts going way, way back for biblical texts.

And no, the new testament was not written by the church leaders who came to common agreement about the canon of "books in the bible." If nothing else, the dates are jsut off between the conference and teh oldest manuscripts available.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2005, 07:44:39 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
The God of Judism, Christianity and Islam is the God of Abraham. All three religions worship the same God.

Christianity and Judaism share the God of Abraham at its root. I kinda remember that Allah was originally one of the arab pantheon prior to mohammed, and after he forced renunciation of all the others and changed the Kaba to be holy only to allah instead of the whole team, he claimed that Allah and jehovah were the same.

Not sure we can ever tell whether the original version of allah was traceable to jehovah, though.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2005, 07:53:51 AM »
Islam branches from Genesis when Abraham's faith is tested by being asked to sacrifice his first born son.

Islam believes that Ishmail, the illegitimate son of Abraham and the handmaiden Hagar was the son who lay beneath Abraham's knife, while Judism and therefor Christianity believe it was Issac, the son of Abraham and his wife Sarah.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »
Holden; what could be the common nominator between Lebanon, Jordan and Morocco?

Offline bob149

• Copper Member
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2005, 08:05:34 AM »
the temperature :)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2005, 08:42:10 AM »
so there are only a few dozen of these muslim extremists?

lazs

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2005, 10:39:31 AM »
Maybe there's as many as christian, jewish and hindu extremists.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2005, 11:12:48 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
Maybe there's as many as christian, jewish and hindu extremists.

Dont even try BS like that..

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2005, 11:18:05 AM »
what would you say that the average amount of christian suicide bombers a month is?

What is the death toll a month from christian suicide bombers?

lazs